Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Load Data
Reloading Everything Repackbox

Thread: Savarog Grizzly draws blood!

Savarog Grizzly draws blood!

Shot a good one tonight using the improved, 3-petal segmented Grizzly slug in 12 ga. These shot ever tight groups with a BPI flex seal screwed to it using both Steel and Longshot powder.

Shot was a high, double lung shot exiting the liver about 70-80 yards away. Piled up in 50. Initial impact of the slug sprayed blood and lung matter up to about 8 feet away the deer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Good work BT! Seems like many talk about shotgun slugs but few actually kill with them. I’m going hunting next week so may have some pics myself.
    "My main ambition in life is to be on the devil's most wanted list."
    Leonard Ravenhill

Quote Originally Posted by Hogtamer View Post
    Good work BT! Seems like many talk about shotgun slugs but few actually kill with them. I’m going hunting next week so may have some pics myself.
    Thank you HT! That’s why we do what we do.

Boolit Master
    Very nice ! Coyotes up in my area seam to be getting all the fawns when their dropped, deer population way down, from what I can see ? Trail cameras show everything but deer, wolves, bobcats, coyotes ??

Boolit Master
    Nice buck. What part of the state? Looks a little like far NE but I’m guessing.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Holy cow Leon!!!! Nice work!!!!
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    He’s a shooter!

Boolit Master

Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    Nice buck. What part of the state? Looks a little like far NE but I’m guessing.
    Thank you. I hunt in Loving, which is pretty close to Graham. NW part of north Texas.

Boolit Buddy
    Smoked em! Now time for some jerky.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Blood Trail View Post
    Thank you. I hunt in Loving, which is pretty close to Graham. NW part of north Texas.

Cool - I used to have older relatives in Albany but they are all deceased now. We hunted around Throckmorton.

I hope you have continued success with that rig.

Boolit Grand Master

Great deer! I made use of a slug too last night, but not nearly as nice a deer. This was a doe, shot about 50 yards. The Lyman 525 was as impressive as one can imagine such a blunt object is. It was a steep angle shot, so it entered high on the back, traveled forward and down through the lungs, and exited through the offside bottom of the neck. The doe dropped on the spot and didn't even kick. Unfortunately the camera operator didn't do very good. You can kind of see the massive entrance hole.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Imagine what a head shot would mean…. Complete loss of head…
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Great deer! I made use of a slug too last night, but not nearly as nice a deer. This was a doe, shot about 50 yards. The Lyman 525 was as impressive as one can imagine such a blunt object is. It was a steep angle shot, so it entered high on the back, traveled forward and down through the lungs, and exited through the offside bottom of the neck. The doe dropped on the spot and didn't even kick. Unfortunately the camera operator didn't do very good. You can kind of see the massive entrance hole.

Man, I gotta kill something with those.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    Imagine what a head shot would mean…. Complete loss of head…
    Well, I shot last years black bear in the head with one of these. It was from the 16 gauge and probably going a little slower, but not a ton slower. I'm assuming 1200 fps. Damage to that bear was comparable. The head shot didn't do anything too gross. The great thing there was the first shot on the bear hit the area that was discussed in the hunting with cast bullets section with that deer someone shot high in the lungs. I shot this bear in "no mans land", even though there are lungs all the way to the spine, but the slug never touched the spine at all, yet the shock was enough to disable the bear completely. I have no idea what would have happened if I left it to die, as I gave it a second shot through the shoulder, and one final one through the brain.

In this case the doe was shot at such an angle that the entrance wound is very nasty. I was sitting on a steep hill trying to get out of that 30mph wind, and this doe was near the bottom. It must have been near a 35-40 degree angle shot. The exit and lungs were what I really wanted to show, but the camera operator (my dad) was more happy with all the meat we got from that doe, and the other two deer.

All in all the Lyman 525 is a very potent slug, but I don't think it is on the level of destruction that I've seen from blood trail's segmented slugs. I would say the Lyman 525 is rather comparable to a rifled slug.

Boolit Grand Master

This isn't a cast slug, but this is what a 7/8 oz, 1800 fps Remington slugger does to a deer at 20 yards.

It's almost sad a whole generation of hunters my age grew up shooting rifled barrels and sabot slugs with dinky little bullets and have no idea what a full bore slug is capable of.

Boolit Mold
    Congratulations!

Boolit Master

12 ga. slugs were my go to for the first twenty years of my deer hunting; some factory and some cast. I never needed a second shot. Most of them dropped in their tracks like they got hit by a freight train. Only a couple went more than ten feet and only one made it 50 yards. But then, I don't take any shot that I'm not sure will drop a deer very quickly. So far, I've not lost a single deer regardless of whether I shot it with bow, slug gun or rifle, including muzzle loaders. And only two required any amount of tracking. I'm afraid I have little confidence in my tracking ability since I have needed to do so little.....*LOL* Gun season hasn't started here yet, but I can only take doe. I already took a nice 6 point with the crossbow. Dropped in his tracks, as usual.

Boolit Mold
    Great job BT!

Bob

Nice buck
    Dave Biesenbach
    port charlotte fl