Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Load Data
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: The QB-79

The QB-79

I've always had a Sheridan 5mm or Benjamin .22 way back since junior high.
    About 10 years ago I got into PCPs and had a couple Air Force rifles.
    Lately I've wanted something for backyard plinking and didn't want to spend the better part of $1000 to do it.
    I read about the QB rifles that guys have been tinkering with for at least a decade.

Wood and steel, traditional looks and feel, a Chinese copy of older Crosman Co2 designs. The QB-78 is a bit different in that it has a tube concealed in the fore end that holds two 12 gram Co2 cartridges. Guys have converted them to HPA by fitting longer tubes.
    The QB-78 is better looking than the stubby fore end QB-79, but the 79 has a lot of fill options.

I can use a 12 gram cartridge with a metal tube adapter, and can also screw in a big 88 gram Co2 cartridge.
    And best of all, use a high pressure air bottle that is 13 cu in./3000 psi.
    The Tippman bottle is regulated to 850 psi, so I can get a lot of shots out of one fill.

First thing I do with these rifles, Chinese or otherwise, is scrub the factory preservative junk out, it takes a good 1/2 hour of alternating between patch and brush before they come out clean.
    The stocks on the QBs are very comfortable and the trigger is 3 way adjustable.
    I added a Hawke 3-9x AO Vantage in Sportsmatch rings. (Sportsmatch rings are made in Britain, very reasonably priced and well made and are a good alternative to all the cheap Chinese rings and mounts).
    The QB-79 sells for $140 on Amazon.
    Some guys run the 1100 psi Ninja tank on their QB. They're getting the .22 pellets up to 800 fps.
    I considered doing that too, but I now have a new PCP that can get 900 plus, so I'm not too worried about hot-rodding the QB.
    I like getting a couple hundred shots out of the big tank.

5 shot groups fired at 35 feet:

Boolit Buddy
    Oldie but a goodie!
    Love it!

Boolit Buddy

I Have a .30 cal QB79 that was converted with a PCP tube by another air gunner (Jack Haley) that uses 2,00psi fill pressure and I have used it to kill 8 hogs over the last 10 years.
    I now shoot an Airforce Texan .45 that fills to 3,000psi and throws a 150gr slug at near 1,000fps!
    Life member NRA and Texas State Rifle Assoc.
    Big bore air rifle shooter

Tony: Good to see you here from over at Perfect Union!. "Sandog" is one of the Mini 30 gurus from that forum!

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Wow!