RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Inline Fabrication

Thread: New Caster, Need Some Help

Boolit Mold

New Caster, Need Some Help

Hello Everyone!

I've recently got into reloading and casting and kind of went nuts on buying equipment before I really knew what I was doing. Is a C309-180-R Lee mold capable of making gas checked 30-06 bullets? Because I can't find load data for this bullet anywhere online or in my 2E Modern Reloading guide. They look great, don't get me wrong, I just don't know what they were designed for. I did notice that the manual has load data for a 173gr lead bullet though. Am I correct in assuming that sizing the bullet may drop it down to 173gr? Also, I noticed that the overall design is very similar to the Lyman #311041 but with a round nose instead of a flat nose. Here's a picture of what I cast for reference:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C309_180_R (2).jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	306548

Many thanks,

GG

Boolit Master
    How much do your boolits weigh? Adding tin will make them lighter if needed. 173 vs 180 isn’t a big deal, just reduce the starting load a bit and go from there.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    Yes. That bullet will accept a gas check. There is load data for a 180 grain lead bullet in the Lee manual. It begins at the bottom of page 384 in my most recent Lee manual.

No. Resizing will change the diameter, not the weight.

Boolit Mold
    p.384 in my guide has information for 256 Winchester Mag, what edition is your book? I think I might be out of date, mine is from 2021.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    How much do your boolits weigh? Adding tin will make them lighter if needed. 173 vs 180 isn’t a big deal, just reduce the starting load a bit and go from there.
    Actually, I haven't weighed them yet. I should probably do that first I guess huh?

Adding a gas check and lube will increase the weight. My 30 cal copper GCs add 4.5 grains and figure the same of the lube may bring them to the 180 gr. The Lyman Cast Bullets #4 manual has a number of loads for the .30-06 on page 152. There is a Lyman 311291 170gr RN very similar to your Boolits.

Welcome to Cast Boolits too
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by GooseGrim View Post
    p.384 in my guide has information for 256 Winchester Mag, what edition is your book? I think I might be out of date, mine is from 2021.
    The Lee manual is just data from powder and bullet manufacturers combined into one book. Your version is probably more recent than mine. Anyway look again in there for 180 grain lead between 173 grain Lead and 190 grain Jacketed.

You will need a way to install the gas checks on your cast boolets. The Lee classic bullet sizing kit is the cheapest way to get started. I would begin with the.309” diameter sizer. The sizer will thread into your press. In the past a bottle of Lee liquid alox was included, but the last one I purchased didn’t have any. So grab a bottle of that too while placing your next order.

Boolit Buddy
    My copy of Modern Reloading Second Edition does not list a 180 grain cast bullet for the 30-06. I have over 40 Lee molds and hardly any of them have load data in MR. Therefore, I hardly use that manual. My advice is to get a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. I haven't used the C309-180-R in 30-06, but it's my go to bullet for 308 Win.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    Adding a gas check and lube will increase the weight. My 30 cal copper GCs add 4.5 grains and figure the same of the lube may bring them to the 180 gr. The Lyman Cast Bullets #4 manual has a number of loads for the .30-06 on page 152. There is a Lyman 311291 170gr RN very similar to your Boolits.

Welcome to Cast Boolits too
    I guess the only real difference between the 180gr 5744 and the 170gr 5744 is starting grain, so if I started at 27 I should be well within minimum safe and stopped at 32 I would be slightly below Maximum load right?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry54 View Post
    The Lee manual is just data from powder and bullet manufacturers combined into one book. Your version is probably more recent than mine. Anyway look again in there for 180 grain lead between 173 grain Lead and 190 grain Jacketed.

You will need a way to install the gas checks on your cast boolets. The Lee classic bullet sizing kit is the cheapest way to get started. I would begin with the.309” diameter sizer. The sizer will thread into your press. In the past a bottle of Lee liquid alox was included, but the last one I purchased didn’t have any. So grab a bottle of that too while placing your next order.
    I have the self-lubing sizing kit from Lee, but apparently liquid alox only ships to FFLs now according to Brownell's. So...guess I'll have to wait on my FFL to come back?

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dar View Post
    My copy of Modern Reloading Second Edition does not list a 180 grain cast bullet for the 30-06. I have over 40 Lee molds and hardly any of them have load data in MR. Therefore, I hardly use that manual. My advice is to get a copy of Lyman's Cast Bullet Handbook. I haven't used the C309-180-R in 30-06, but it's my go to bullet for 308 Win.
    I have the #4 as well, I think I'm going to use the 5744 load data for 30-06 Spr.

Boolit Buddy
    Alox to an ffl? Sounds like you snuck a firearm into your cart. Or Brownells has some wires crossed.
    Added it to the cart at MidwayUSA without a problem.

How far from Nashville are you if you don’t mind me asking?

I have the self-lubing sizing kit from Lee, but apparently liquid alox only ships to FFLs now according to Brownell's. So...guess I'll have to wait on my FFL to come back?
    Get thee to https://lsstuff.com/store/index.php?...77iq0b53d33d46

Xlox = Alox
    When you care enough to send the very best, send an ounce of lead.

Boolit Master
    I used that Lee bullet for a couple of years in my .308Win. Most accurate loads were around 1800fps. I usually used IMR4198.

What twist rate does your barrel have? If it is a 1:10 like my .308 you should probably stay below 2200fps. If you have a 1:12 then you can go faster.

And, yes, that bullet should have a gas check unless you load it with very light loads.

Boolit Master

If you think sizing a bullet changes its weight...think of it like this....does a tight belt make you weigh less?

When using a tumble lube, don't use too much. Three or four drops in a butter tub and about fifty boolits is sufficient. The coating should be barely visible. After running them through the push-through sizer, you should lube again.

Wayne
    What doesn't kill you makes you stronger - or else it gives you a bad rash.
    Venison is free-range, organic, non-GMO and gluten-free

Boolit Grand Master

Actually, I haven't weighed them yet. I should probably do that first I guess huh?
    Don't be surprised if they don't weigh 180 grains . Boolit moulds are made to cast a given weight boolit with a specific alloy ... you change that exact alloy and the weight changes ...
    more lead = Heavier Boolit , more tin = Lighter Boolit .
    Just use the data for 180 (or whatever the given weight is) and don't get all hung up on weighing ... it will drive you insane trying to adjust loads .
    Lee design C309-180-RN is a gas check design ... C = gas check .
    Do yourself a big favor and get a Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook 4th edition ... lots of great information to have in front of you and request free catalogs from Lee and Lyman ... good information in the catalogs and they are Free !

Welcome to the Insanity ...
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"