Lee PrecisionLoad DataRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Inline FabricationWideners
Titan Reloading

Thread: 1885 browning BPCR smokeless loads?

Boolit Buddy

1885 browning BPCR smokeless loads?

I’m currently waiting on a 1885 BPCR in 45-70. To start out I want to shoot smokeless out of it as I’ve never shot black before. I’ve also never used fillers and don’t want to ring the chamber. So I’m looking for 100% to compressed loads. Because the barrel is 1:18 twist and throated for heavy bullets I’d also be looking at 500ish grain bullets but I’m open to anything just because I’ve never done it doesn’t mean I won’t try. So what’s everyone’s thoughts? Wayne Mclerran states that the barrel should be broke in using jacketed also so if anyone has some j word loads that would be great too.
    I'll keep my guns and my money, you can keep the change!

Μολὼν λάβε

Boolit Master
    Unique is my go to powder for accurate, low recoil loads. No need to worry about compressed loads, no fillers needed, as it is not position sensitive. I have shot literally thousands of rounds with no issues. Here is what i use.
    300-350 gr, 15 grs of Unique.
    405-13.5grs
    550-12-12.5s
    I have never had any problems with these loads, and I have several buddies who shoot them as well. i shoot, literally, several of these a day, except on Sunday.

Boolit Grand Master

I use Unique in my plinking loads but prefer 22.0 gr. 2400 for a little more Oomph. No fillers and it is not position sensitive.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    b money, I have that same (now seldom used) rifle. Bought it new. It has never seen Black Powder. Unique, Bullseye, and TrailBoss are the 3 powders I use most in it and a Marlin Guide Gun.

You do not need compressed loads with smokeless powders, and very few smokeless powders will give compressed loads safely. There are plenty of smokeless powders that work extremely well with air space in the case for .45-70 and other large cases.
    I really like IMR4198, or H4198 in the old larger cases. Even Unique works well for light loads. My Hodgdon manual lists a load of H4198 at 25.0 grs. with a 500 gr. bullet at 1003 fps, or a 405 gr. bullet with 28.0 grs. H4198 at 1124 fps. Both of these loads in my ballistic program run chamber pressures almost half of what a full BP load of 2f will run. And no fillers required!

Boolit Buddy
    It is a Badger barrel, I have one. DO NOT "break it in". They are precision lapped from the factory and extremely smooth.

In my opinion only put lead bullets thru it. Jacketed will work but completely disregard what it was designed for. Like putting a trailer hitch on a Corvette. Mine is very accurate with bp, try it. It is easy to clean and there is a lot of advice online.

I use AA 5744 powder when I shoot smokeless which is rare. Mine is a very well built rifle.

Don

Boolit Buddy
    Nazgul, what is your BP of choice?

Boolit Buddy

There is a big following of IMR4198 in our group up here. GW

Quote Originally Posted by tejano View Post
    Nazgul, what is your BP of choice?
    For my old large capacity cases I prefer Swiss 1 1/2 BP. I've also used Old Ensforde #2, but the Swiss is a little easier on my shoulder, and doesn't need much, if any compression.

Boolit Buddy
    Alright everyone thank you for the ideas. After looking here and many more places I wish I had some a5744 but I don’t. Although I loaded some 405’s with 13gr of trail boss and tomorrow I’m going to load some 405 and 535grn boolits with reloader 7, might also try some 4198, 3031, universal and cafe blk if I can find load data
    I'll keep my guns and my money, you can keep the change!

Μολὼν λάβε

Unless you start using solid card wads over your reduced loads, with either kind of powder, you won't ring your chamber. Kapok, toilet tissue, and thin wads of floral foam work fine. Or just choose powders that aren't position sensitive.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    I've been loading the gas checked rcbs 45-405-FN (420 grains with my alloy) with 36 grains of Reloader #7 for nearly 40 years. The only change I've made to that load was switching from javalina lube to powder coating. I've tried other powders like IMR-4198 and AA 5744 and they work good, but I've gotten the best accuracy from my Sharps replica with #7.

When working up loads for my various .40 and .45 caliber large capacity old cartridges I've experimented with tissue, and pillow fill in small pieces over the charge, vs. nothing over the charge, to see how the velocity deviations compared. I get around a 20 fps deviation over dozens of shots across my Oehler chronograph, and that doesn't seem to change with nothing over powder vs. the tissue or pillow filler over the charge. All were done using IMR4198 that is my preferred powder. So I use nothing over the powder for these.
    I'm currently building up loads of BP and smokeless for my original Freund Sharps that is barreled in .50-140, and because of the extremely large case capacity I'm going to once again test some loads using tissue over the smokeless charges to see how it compares to nothing over charges. The large capacity I think may benefit from being held back against the primer for better ignition.
    On my BP loads I'm using greatly reduced loads of Swiss 1 1/2 and amaranth seed filler over the powder to eliminate any air space. So far loads are not grouping as tightly as I'd like, and are even a bit too mild. So I'll be increasing the charge, and decreasing the filler on the next round until it tightens up, or I fell recoil is objectionable and stop.

Boolit Master

For me the Saeco 540 gr GC bullet with 50 grs of H 4831 shot the best in my Browning BPCR , shoot at 200 yards as bullet my not be fully stablized at 100 yards Mine would do about 2 inch group every time at 200. using a scope

Boolit Buddy
    2F or Cartridge Goex is what I have been using. Goex not available right now, I have a decent supply.

Don