WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Broke the head off my ladle!

Broke the head off my ladle!

I was at the end of the first casting session in my newly acquired spot in the corner of the wife’s garden shed, and the head of my ladle broke off at the threads.

Before skimming, I always give a couple whacks of the ladle on the pot to sling off any dross that attaches to the ladle. Not hard but I guess it added up.

This is a new ladle, purchased after my house fire in 2015. But I dehorned it so it didn’t have knobs and feet sticking everywhere.

I might try giving lyman a call. Pends on what they do. I don’t expect anything, and I guess whacking it repeatedly over 7 years really isn’t under warranty.

I spose I’ll try removing the piece that’s left in the hole and threading the shaft again. I’m out of commission until I resolve it one way or another. I don’t have a tap and die set or I’d fix it in short order.

Cheap tap and die sets are available at Hazzard Fraught.
    I have had good luck with them, the holders for the taps and dies are a bit cheezy though.

Boolit Buddy
    Been there, done that. If Lyman gives no satisfaction, you can extract the broken part from the ladle and thread the end of the handle to screw the ladle on it. The handle will be about 3/8 inch shorter, but you probably won't notice. When "whacking," I found that if you hit the edge of the ladle head on the pot, rather than the handle, it doesn't seem to put as much stress on the joint.

Boolit Grand Master

This is a fairly easy fix. I believe the threads are 10-24. Use a small punch and hammer to back out the end in the ladle Then cleanup the end of the handle and chamfer with a file. Then tun a die down it far enough to thread in sand add a nut. the nut will lock it up and make for a stronger joint

That happened to me as well with a fairly new Lyman ladle. I sent it back to them and got a new replacement shortly thereafter. I don't know who now makes their castings (India?), but they are quite brittle.

Boolit Master
    When I was new at casting I bought the Lyman ladle. One of my mentors, who was along to help me with my shopping, took the ladle and said he needed to modify it. When I got it back a few days later the handle had grown and was now 11 inches long. I think of him every time I use it because I really appreciate the extra length. This could be an opportunity for you to change the length of the handle rod also.

After you have removed the stub from the ladle check to see if the ladle is threaded for straight threads or for pipe threads. I seem to remember him saying it was a pipe thread rather than a straight 10-24 thread.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Ahhh,,, now you have the perfect reason why you need to get one of them new fangled bottom pour pots.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Buddy

I have had a Lyman ladle over 40 years. I put it on a towel and tap it with a plastic headed hammer. That gets the dross off.

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Ahhh,,, now you have the perfect reason why you need to get one of them new fangled bottom pour pots.
    I just got used to using electricity instead of trusty ol fire and a long handled pot.

Maybe so. Thanks for the chuckle.

Boolit Buddy
    Good to know, in that I have been drosswhacking my Lyman ladle a lot longer than seven years. I shall investigate the towel and plastic mallet system.

Boolit Master
    A good reason to buy yourself a set of left hand drill bits to drill out the stub. I also tap the handle on the side of the pot to clean it off, but haven't broken one off yet.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    I sent him one of them new fangled bottom pour pots ( after his house fire ) and he didn't like the way they cast boolits any better than I did ... I went back to the ladle and Bazoo went back to the ladle ... New Fangled isn't better for everyone !
    I'll take a open top magnum melter , Lyman ladle and pressure casting any day over New Fangled .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I couldn’t remember who sent me the melter but I put it in the PIF box. Wish now I’d kept it for backup.

Had similar happen a couple years ago, and damaged the ladle enough that I could not fix directly using existing (it now had a larger hole in ladle).
    So, I brazed a nut on the side of the ladle and threaded a new longer rod, and cut off an old broom handle for a grip. Drill the broom handle close, cut it (slot it) across diameter, insert shaft (rod), hose clamp the wooden handle to squeeze onto the shaft (rod). Good as new, and I like my longer handle length better.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by C.F.Plinker View Post
    When I was new at casting I bought the Lyman ladle. One of my mentors, who was along to help me with my shopping, took the ladle and said he needed to modify it. When I got it back a few days later the handle had grown and was now 11 inches long. I think of him every time I use it because I really appreciate the extra length. This could be an opportunity for you to change the length of the handle rod also.

After you have removed the stub from the ladle check to see if the ladle is threaded for straight threads or for pipe threads. I seem to remember him saying it was a pipe thread rather than a straight 10-24 thread.
    That makes sense, otherwise longer threads and a jamb nut would probably be required. Good to know (hope I remember) information.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Grand Master
    I would have welded the handle back on. Might not be pretty (I am not a very good welder) but it would stay on.

Robert

Boolit Buddy
    I make my ladles out of CO2 canisters, they are very easy to use and are effective. Can Email pics if any one wants to do so. Cant post from my iPad.to the forum .Cheers Mal in au.(Hahndorf1874).

I called lyman and inquired about this. I was told they have a year warranty and since I’d had it 7 or so, I was on my own.
    Last edited by Bazoo; 12-06-2022 at 03:41 PM.

I tried removing the offending piece of shaft with a small ez out I have. It twisted in and then spun out. So I’ll still it out larger and tap it and thread the shaft. I have a 12x24 tap, but no die. Seen it.

I did finally get my ladle repaired. I drilled it out and tapped the hole 12x24 and threaded the shaft to match. It was a bit small for that size of rod, so I ended up making the shaft end smaller and tapered to get the die started. But I used what I had and made it work.

Lyman didn't respond to my message with the link to this thread. Certainly not the RCBS legendary customer service. But ya can't fix everyone's stuff for free or you'll go out of business I reckon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast