Load DataRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee Precision
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good General Purpose .22

I have to agree with Trails4u. I have a Ruger 10/22 that I got back in the mid 70's when they were still made with walnut stocks.

For the first 20 years I shot it totally stock with iron sights. Then as I got into my 40's my eyes said no more iron sights.

So I "borrowed" my dad's Bushnell Banner 2x7 variable which came off his .270 deer gun for a 1x5. Had it l mounted by a pro. And for the next 20 years I was whistling death in the woods. Often taking shots out past 100 yards. 1 shot, 1 kill. Eventually the Banner died. Replaced with a Simmons and as it was in the middle of the 15 cents per round .22lr era it got zero'd, cleaned, wiped down, put away. Have not shot it since. One of these days I should as ammo is back around 6 cents.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Okay, if the truth be told, you can't go wrong with just about any .22 rifle you pick up. The trick is to find the ammo it likes best & get a supply.

If I had to decide on just one, I agree a Ruger 10/22 is a great rifle mainly because you can easily customize it & parts are readily available. Lots of info & help available on the rifle. The only down side to a semi-auto is if you want to shoot sub-sonic, "quiet" ammo. The ammo won't operate the mechanism & you have to do it manually. If that's an issue, a pump would be a good choice.

JIMHO
    Last edited by pertnear; 11-06-2022 at 11:10 AM.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

my favorite is the 17HMR. its a "bang flop" gun. The gun goes bang, the rodent goes flop

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by compass will View Post
    my favorite is the 17HMR. its a "bang flop" gun. The gun goes bang, the rodent goes flop
    Really cheap ammo too.....NOT

Boolit Grand Master
    Whichever you prefer will work. It's the shooter most of the time and not the gun, per se, that makes the shot. I like the 10/22 alot, also, the Henry lever action. That Henry is the most accurate .22 I've ever shot.

Boolit Master
    Just about any cheap .22 bolt will be accurate when you fine the ammo it likes ? That's the hard part, finding the ammo it likes, You will need to try every brand available. But there is the fun and a lot of trigger time.

Boolit Master
    Any older Savage, Mossberg or Remington bolt gun with a good bore will do what you want and you should be able to find a good one for $125 or so. I just picked up an old Remington M41 with a good bore for $105 that I expect to be a very good shooter.I haven't had a chance to scope it to see what it will do.

Boolit Master
    1022 is my pick ,its better than me out to 50 yards .for real accuracy i use my bsa martini lefty international.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Further to what PB posted. My buddy has a Marlin 60 and for a cheap gun it is amazingly accurate. You cannot go wrong with one, and if it gets a scratch or three it is not the end of the world.

Check your laws a loaded gun in a truck/UTV is not permitted in some areas.
    Don once again hit the nail on its head with his post!!! Marlin 60s and equivalent generally are quite inexpensive to get, and function quite nicely. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Marlin 60.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	8.4 KB 
ID:	306594 Don Verna mention "local laws" -- in the state in which I reside one may not even lean (have touching) a firearm with rounds in it any motorized conveyance!

Re this limitation, I have an old Mossberg bolt action .22 as the "tractor" firearm of my choice, with its magazines in my trouser pockets. As this rifle fires S-L-LR, I have one mag filled with shorts (left pocket) and the other (right pocket) with long rifle cartridges. At varmint ranges I shoot at there's not a significant POI between the two ammos. And, quite frankly, I aim (pun intended) to use the shorts when I can -- primarily to keep firing sound as low as possible.
    geo

the Remington series of bolt .22's produced from 1939 till the mid 60's are dependable , accurate , + still available in most areas below $150.00 - steel + walnut , only plastic part was the butt plate - parts availability is still good because so many were produced -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master
    Had occasion about 20 years back to pick up a T/C Contender Carbine for plinking squirrel, match barrel .22 short. A 25 yard target when I zeroed the piece.
    https://imgur.com/ah8rkFz

It put down a rather large number of squirrel, but to my surprise it also put down more hogs than the average plinker would imagine, with .22 CB shorts. My favorite load for squirrel was a modest cache of .22 BB and CB Caps.

https://imgur.com/CzbgttY
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

I agree with georgerkahn & schutzen-jager above ^^

The Mossberg 152 (semi-auto) & 142 & 142A (bolt) are carbine length & are handy. As georgerkahn states the 142/142A magazines are capable of LR or shorts.

Regarding the Remington 500 series: I have one of each & they are as accurate as any present high end (high price) models. My most accurate is a 511 that I bought in '74 from a pawn shop in Atlanta for $32.50. It looks like death warmed over. The PO had attempted to mount a side mount scope on the left side of the stock (not in the metal, but with screw holes in the stock). Most of my .22 rf rifles have undergone a face lift, but I would not consider changing anything on that particular gun: it's beauty is in how it shoots. Maybe screw holes in the left side of the stock is a well-kept accurizing secret (I have always suspected that harmonic science involves a certain amount of black Majic).

Boolit Master
    About any used, beat up pawn shop .22 will fit your needs. Years ago I bought a Glenfield bolt action at a pawn shop for $10. It was ugly and beat but very accurate. Spent most of it’s life with me under the seat of the truck. The end of many sod poodles and squeakies.

Do any of you have a Marlin 60 and have tried the CCI Quiet ammo in it? I have an old 552 Remington that cycles them like a champ. Of course it is, like the Marlin 60, a short, long, long rifle gun which may have the softer spring to cycle the shorts. CCI advertises the 45 gr ammo for semi auto's. If a 10/22 would cycle them, that would ad another rifle to the mix.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Master
    I have not ran CCI Quiet in my Marlin 60s, but they run CCI SV with no issues.

Lot of great suggestions and they all will work. Really depends on what type action( semi auto, bolt, lever, pump, etc) you prefer. For in and out of a vehicle I would go with a removable magazine rather than tube fed. That probably means bolt or semi. If you tend toward a lever the plain Jane Henry H001 used to be around $250 new and is a great little gun. For a semi hard to beat the 10/22.

Yeah, the magazine tube on a Model 60 is too easy to dent. Ditto most lever guns.

Nobody cares if you trash the finish on a 10/22.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Yeah, the magazine tube on a Model 60 is too easy to dent. Ditto most lever guns.

Nobody cares if you trash the finish on a 10/22.
    That reminds me of my buddies 10/22. He lives on the Kenai Peninsula and his rifle has NEVER been cleaned and has zero finish on the metal or wooden stock. The last time his grand kids were there, he gave them a brick of Remington Thunderbolts which are pretty nasty IMHO and they ran through them in less than 2 days with not a single FTF or misfire. He has owned the gun for decades and shoots it a lot. One tough little gun.
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Buddy
    For hunting there are a couple of things that need to be considered, like transport, ammo changes (like no-powder, subsonic, high-velocity), sights, scopes, and fit to the shooter. I find that I am best with my Marlin 925.
    Some points for the bolt action, mag fed setup:
    1. easy to unload after hunting - tube fed rifles are a pain to unload (if you can't legally transport loaded this is HUGE)
    2. ammo is less finicky in bolt action
    3. subs work better in bolt action.
    4. you can swap ammo mid-hunt just by changing mags. I carry a mag of CCI blazer (very accurate and not super expensive) for backup long shot but will normally just hunt with Aguila subsonic as its easier on the ears, won't scare as much game and kills rabbits/squirrels all the same. They both work just fine in a bolt.
    5. the Marlin 925 is cheap, has a wood stock, nice length of pull, not to light, not too heavy, has decent open sights and is plenty accurate. I got mine on Gunbroker for less than $100 missing a mag.

'Course all of that applies to a single-shot, too.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast