Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RepackboxRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: First deer with the Model 92 44-40

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Don't leave airspace above a hard wad. Some years ago now it was proven conclusively that it is the prime cause of chamber ringing. Won't be an issue if you're compressing the BP like you're supposed to, of course.
    Thanks for the advice, hadn't heard that. This is definitely a compressed load. I'm using a plain base 170 Grain boolit from Jet bullets for the 32-40.

Don't leave airspace above a hard wad. Some years ago now it was proven conclusively that it is the prime cause of chamber ringing. Won't be an issue if you're compressing the BP like you're supposed to, of course.
    How much chamber pressure do you think it would produce?

There was a time when gun writers could say that the .44-40 had taken more game than all other calibers combined. 'Course that was 90 years ago, but it still works!
    It can still take a fair amount of game if used correctly. Just leave the mouse farts at home, understand bullet drop and trajectory, adjust accordingly as they did before flat trajectory...so easy even a caveman can shoot it...cartridges, and enjoy!
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 11-06-2022 at 10:45 PM.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Great work! Did the Boolit pass through? Any idea on velocity? The Lee 429-200-RF looks like it would be a dandy for your rifle, I use them in sabots for my muzzleloader.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Great work! Did the Boolit pass through? Any idea on velocity? The Lee 429-200-RF looks like it would be a dandy for your rifle, I use them in sabots for my muzzleloader.
    Yes complete pass through. Got both lungs too.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    It can still take a fair amount of game if used correctly. Just leave the mouse farts at home, understand bullet drop and trajectory, adjust accordingly as they did before flat trajectory...so easy even a caveman can shoot it...cartridges, and enjoy!
    Bryan
    have you ever seen much accuracy advantage in a 44/40 from overpowder wads ? I havent but then I never sat down to wring one out properly with wads versus none either. The longer cartridges definitely respond for me (38/55 - 45/70 - 45/75).

Great story and great gun. Where are you that you have snow ? Our November has been like summer here in Central NYS. Mid to high 70’s . We picked lettuce in our garden yesterday. Unheard of !

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    Bryan
    have you ever seen much accuracy advantage in a 44/40 from overpowder wads ? I havent but then I never sat down to wring one out properly with wads versus none either. The longer cartridges definitely respond for me (38/55 - 45/70 - 45/75).
    Not for the 44-40. The factory never, that I have ever seen, loaded the 44-40 with wads or low volume bp. Typically, I believe, handloaders with hand tools loaded only 35ish grains since they had nothing to compress the powder with...and that was for hunting, not plinking. Too much compression with the bullet would deform it.

I'll be hunting with my 73' starting Nov 23rd in NC. I found a friend with 350 acres that has yet been hunted in 35 years. A 35 acres area is eat up with beds, rubs, scrapes and activity. I have an 8 and 10 point on the trail cam I had placed to monitor beaver activity on two beaver dams. I never put the cams in the woods. The trade off was kill the beavers and deer hunt this season. I killed 5 beavers with the Marlin 44-40 and a red dot scope. All late evening kills with Reloder 7, 43-214A and less than 50 yards.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats on your success with your special rifle. I got to use my dads rifle a couple years ago to do what he intended for it 49 years earlier. He never hunted with it. Win. 94 in 30-30 gets it done!!

Special feeling that won’t be forgotten!!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyz View Post
    Yes complete pass through. Got both lungs too.
    Triple congrats re 1/The memories from your dad; 2/ The rifle with your loading and excellent shooting; and, 3/ Of course, great meat for the freezer/plate!
    I have a 1892 in .38-30 calibre, but have only used smokeless (mostly IMR3031) in it. Never, also, harvested a deer with it. A great all-around carry lever; You done well!!!
    geo

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawlerbrook View Post
    Great story and great gun. Where are you that you have snow ? Our November has been like summer here in Central NYS. Mid to high 70’s . We picked lettuce in our garden yesterday. Unheard of !
    I’m in Central Alberta. -20, and a foot of snow now!

I hope he means -20 Celsius, so that it's not as bad as it sounds to us Fahrenheit users.
    Cognitive Dissident

Moderator / Master Tool & Die Maker

-20 Celsius = -4 Fahrenheit.
    "I Make the part.............................that makes the parts"

Looking for Bullet Mould Handles, Heavy Duty Replacement Sprue Plates, Adjustable Paper Patch Bullet Moulds? Check here:http://www.kal.castpics.net/

My Feedback!

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Red-River-Rick

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    T-shirt weather here in Kentucky!
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

There any hunting stories to go with these guns from you dad?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Savvy Jack View Post
    Not for the 44-40. The factory never, that I have ever seen, loaded the 44-40 with wads or low volume bp. Typically, I believe, handloaders with hand tools loaded only 35ish grains since they had nothing to compress the powder with...and that was for hunting, not plinking. Too much compression with the bullet would deform it.

I'll be hunting with my 73' starting Nov 23rd in NC. I found a friend with 350 acres that has yet been hunted in 35 years. A 35 acres area is eat up with beds, rubs, scrapes and activity. I have an 8 and 10 point on the trail cam I had placed to monitor beaver activity on two beaver dams. I never put the cams in the woods. The trade off was kill the beavers and deer hunt this season. I killed 5 beavers with the Marlin 44-40 and a red dot scope. All late evening kills with Reloder 7, 43-214A and less than 50 yards.
    thanks for the reply back - looks like you have some fun time coming up - good stuff!!!!!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Red River Rick View Post
    -20 Celsius = -4 Fahrenheit.
    -30C this morning, I think that’s about -20F?, at -40 they’re the same. Either way it’s dang cold hunting today!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    There any hunting stories to go with these guns from you dad?
    These guns came from my moms stepdad. They were divided between my dad and my uncle. My uncle didn’t hunt so all his share hung on the wall. My dad was a hunter but like most in the late 60’s didn’t have much money and he sold his share, a 38-55, 38-40, and a 25-20, to buy a new hunting rifle. Here in Alberta at that time none of those rifles could be used for hunting except the 38-55 because to be legal the cartridge needed an empty case length minimum of 44mm. My uncles hung on the walls of his acreage for the better part of 50 years. When he passed 6 years ago they came to my dad. At that time my dad was past his hunting prime and they sat in his gun cupboard. He passed this spring and they came to me. I remember drooling over those rifles seeing them on my uncles wall for so many years. As a boy I dreamt of having a 44 mag lever rifle to hunt with as I read many stories in Outdoor life magazine about deer and bear hunting with them. It wasn’t until the super short magnums came out that our laws changed to allow any cartridge bigger than .23 to hunt big game. I figured these rifles had sat for so long waiting to get back to the field I had to give it a go. There’s a lot of memories tied to these for me, more of family gatherings at my uncles and for the summers I spent out in the woods at his place. They had no interest in hunting but for me being able to get to the woods as a boy was all I wanted. It was a very special feeling to take that deer with this old girl. Back to the field being used for what it was meant to do!

Back to wads for a moment. I am reminded that guys shooting the Schuetzen game are using that brittle, open-cell floral foam sliced about 1/8" thick. It's so porous and frangible that it can't cause the ringing problem if there's less than 100% fill with black powder. Or smokeless, for that matter.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12