RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First deer with the Model 92 44-40

Boolit Bub

First deer with the Model 92 44-40 Edit, picture added

When my dad passed this spring I got 2 lever rifles from him that had been sitting on various relatives walls for the last 55+ years. One was a 32-40 model 92, and this model 92, SRC in 44-40. I found some new starline brass and dies from a fellow in BC and got some 200 grain cast boolits from Jet bullets here in Alberta. I got it all cleaned up and have been shooting it with 35 Grains of Goex FF Black Powder. Out to 100m I figured I should be good. Our rifle season opened here on Nov. 1 and I have had it out a few days but we have been getting a fair bit of snow. Today was a beautiful day, ahead of another storm coming tomorrow. I was out this morning and saw one doe but it was way too far. I found a spot with a lot of tracks for the evening sit. Went to head out and had an almost flat tire on the truck. Rushed over to a shop that is owned by two hunters and they got me in right away. I drove out to the woods and parked, wind was perfect. Walking in to my spot, a bit later than I had hoped, and I spotted a nice single doe just ready to come out of the bush into a narrow grass lane between the next fence row and a field. I kneeled down and when it hopped the fence I got a shot off. The deer didn't seem hit and just trotted and hopped off through the woods on the other side. I gave it a few inutes and went to look, 30M from where it was standing I found a small spot of blood. I followed the tracks in the snow and there was the odd spot of blood here and there. After about 125m I saw a little more blood spray, I looked up and 15m ahead it lay dead. It was a nice big dry doe. I hit it a little high in the chest but got a double lung complete pass through. What a satisfying hunt and very happy to get this old girl back in the field. I'll post a picture if I can figure out how!Click image for larger version. 

Name:	44-40 deer.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	306550
    Last edited by Fatboyz; 11-05-2022 at 09:01 PM.

Congratulations! Getting to bag a deer with Dad's old rifle is a special thing. I recently got Dad's old '73 44-40 going and am hoping to get one with it before too long. Your deer will be extra good I bet.

That is great use your Dad's rifle and bag one , he is looking down on you with a smile .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Very good!
    I love it when a plan comes together.
    Congratulations

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats. Good work.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Congratulations! Your dad is proud of you!

Boolit Buddy
    Well done.
    It sounds like you've got next year's deer rifle already selected in the 32-40 as well.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by JRD View Post
    Well done.
    It sounds like you've got next year's deer rifle already selected in the 32-40 as well.
    My plan for this year was the 32-40 as it has quite a bit longer barrel than the 44-40 carbine and I thought it would be the obvious choice. I need to spend some more time figuring out loads for it as it is spitting bullets all over with a full case of FF. Might have to try some FFF or maybe a light load of smokeless?

Boolit Grand Master

Congratulations !!! The 44 WCF is one fine corn cruncher "twapper".
    Our state ILL-NOIS still does not trust us to hunt with centerfire rifles. So we use revolvers and duplicate BP velocities. We use a 220 grain FN and wack the shoulders. No tracking.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master

Congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    Special rifle creates a fond memory. Well done.

Well done!

Boolit Master
    Outstanding

Congratulations and thank you for sharing.

Boolit Buddy

Enjoy for years to come
    Jim

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboyz View Post
    My plan for this year was the 32-40 as it has quite a bit longer barrel than the 44-40 carbine and I thought it would be the obvious choice. I need to spend some more time figuring out loads for it as it is spitting bullets all over with a full case of FF. Might have to try some FFF or maybe a light load of smokeless?
    are you using an over powder wad in the 32-40? if not try it - a nice solid card or poly wad ( 10 litre water jugs are about 40 thou HDPE - works a treat in a couple of my rifles) -- most 44/40 's seem to do fine without but bigger (longer) cases usually respond with better accuracy - make sure your boolit is fat enough for the bore too.

Excellent job! There's nothing quite like the satisfaction of taking game with the old rifles, especially lever rifles!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

There was a time when gun writers could say that the .44-40 had taken more game than all other calibers combined. 'Course that was 90 years ago, but it still works!
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    are you using an over powder wad in the 32-40? if not try it - a nice solid card or poly wad ( 10 litre water jugs are about 40 thou HDPE - works a treat in a couple of my rifles) -- most 44/40 's seem to do fine without but bigger (longer) cases usually respond with better accuracy - make sure your boolit is fat enough for the bore too.
    No I’m not! My first go with BP cartridges but going to give that a go! Thanks for the tip.

Don't leave airspace above a hard wad. Some years ago now it was proven conclusively that it is the prime cause of chamber ringing. Won't be an issue if you're compressing the BP like you're supposed to, of course.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast