Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRepackbox
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Henry

Henry

Not much Henry rifle news these days. Anything to say? Anyone?

Boolit Buddy

Lynn. I sure like mine. I'll be sitting in a treestand this year with a blued .44 mag singleshot with a 2 1/2X Leupold. I cast up a batch of the 640 HP's at 10 BHN, weighing about 260 grains, powder coated and loaded over 2400. Hunting with that break action single takes me back sixty some years to roaming the woods with an old Iver Johnson. I must not be the only single shot Henry fan because local dealers are having a hard time getting them.

I liked the .44 enough to get a stablemate in .357, then a .223. Recently got bit by the lever bug and picked up a little .357 blued carbine. Mounted a 2 minute red dot on it and load 125 gr. Lee RF's over 5.4 grs. of Power Pistol. Next to no recoil and a barrel of fun knocking over steel plates.

And....they're made in Wisconsin!!

Boolit Master
    The club I belong to wanted to buy one of their .22 lever actions for training purposes. No one could find one.
    The only amendment the Democrats support is the 5th.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’d like one.

Boolit Master
    It's OK

Although not a single-shot, I find my .22LR Henry just about perfect for woods walking and popping Squill's - moreso after I mounted a Williams peepsight.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

I'm not aware of any change from last year. They have a rather impressive lineup of models and calibers now, but unfortunately they seem content selling the whole guns. At this point I'm assuming they will never sell barrels, and I'm not hearing any aftermarket makers willing to make barrels for them.

Other than that failure, the rifles and shotguns are fantastic. I'd recommend them to anyone. The rifles are great hunting rifles, every bit as accurat as a TC Encore. The shotguns are some of the best single shot shotguns ever made. They have youth models. They have one of the best slug guns on the market. They fixed the trigger problem and then some, the triggers are some of the best out of the box triggers I've ever found.

I will be hunting NE Whitetails with my now .357 Maximum Henry single shot, with a Leupold Compact 4x scope. I love mine, light pistol loads for plinking and heavy cast for deer. It is a nice compact package in the tree stand. My Grandson really enjoys shooting it too! I would buy another! hc18flyer

Quote Originally Posted by upnorthwis View Post
    The club I belong to wanted to buy one of their .22 lever actions for training purposes. No one could find one.
    They're out there. Even Walmarts that still carry guns has a some of the basic model.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

If I can and SIL says he's allowing hunting, I'll take my Long Ranger 308W with me.
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

I have a Henry .44 mag and a Henry .357 magnum both blued steel. I only have two minor complaints. The forearms are very difficult to remove compared to Winchesters and Marlins. Sometimes after getting a good soaking in the rain while hunting, I like to remove the forearms on a lever gun and get all the water out and oil it up, just to prevent rust.

Second, the rear sights on my 44 mag. will not hold zero if I put the slider to the bottom notch. I first zero my sight with the set screw/buckhorn portion of the sight, and leave the slider to it lowest level, so I can use it to raise for windage. The first two steps on the slide barely engage the buckhorn sight and slide foreward under recoil. Henry/marbles could fix this with a properly made side.

I put a Winchester 94 steel rear-sight on one of rifles, (slider stays put under recoil), and a Skinner peep on my other rifle.

Just these two "peeves", but all in all, these are beautiful and well made rifles.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Thank guys for the replies. I have a Handi-Rifle in 30-30 & would like the same in a Henry. The .308 looks interesting & I may go that route. Never really warmed up the 300 BO.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I got a blued .45-70 from a gent on this site and love it. Workmanship is awesome and it really likes the Lyman 292 grain slug as cast dipped in LLA over 12.8 grains Unique. My only two gripes are pretty minor. First, I would rather the sights mounted with screws instead of dovetails. This would allow the use of the excellent Williams WGOS sights. Second, my particular rifle doesn't have as much energy in the hammer as I would prefer. I use LP primers right now which seem to work better for lite loads. Will get that figgered out after hunting season. Overall I love this rifle and may end up with a second one
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master

Yeah, forget the 300BO. It makes sense in an AR15, but not in anything else. As far as I know the Henry single shot's are identical between the 30-30 and 308, except for the chamber obviously. I have the 308, and I love the generous throat. It is a cast bullet shooting machine. These would be very good choices if you were looking for a compact hunting rifle with a suppressor.

Boolit Grand Master
    My .22 Henry lever is the most accurate .22 I've ever shot. Different but well made and easy to maintain.

Boolit Mold
    who chambered your rifle to 357 Max.?

Quote Originally Posted by CSA View Post
    who chambered your rifle to 357 Max.?
    Mike Bellm(sp) He also 'throated' it for larger and longer cast bullets. Another was David White (unsure of his status)
    hc18flyer
    Last edited by hc18flyer; 11-12-2022 at 09:14 PM. Reason: Additional info