Inline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I trashed a great scope! ( Not on purpose,of course)

Boolit Master

'Bout a hundred miles from the Gulf of Mexico

I trashed a great scope! ( Not on purpose,of course)

A few mornings ago, while standing beside the Jeep, I was opening the hard case in which my Remington 700 was in, when the last latch popped open, and the whole rig, fell from waist high flat to the hard gravel road! Dented the Tasco scope on the rifle, in the dark it looked ok. So, after the days hunt was over, I went to the gun room, and, damn it, the scope was bent between the rings! I mean, on a hard angle, broken main tube. So, I’m out a heck of a target scope.
    Be careful, and, from now on no more hard cases in the Jeep, for me, unless I open it on the tailgate first!
    Yeah it was my fault.

Tasco still in business? Or am I just out of luck? Thanks, guys for any responses.
    ( new Bushnell Banner 6-14x 50 AO on the way)
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

Boolit Master
    Um, yeah, they're still in business. Made in China by slave labor, available at Walmart.

https://tasco.com/rifle-scopes/
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Yup, last 20 years employment felt like slave labor too. Poor folk have poor ways to keep on shooting, unless one drops their weapon on the ground.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Grand Master
    Great scope and Tasco do not belong in the same sentence.

I had a Tasco on a hunting rifle. It slipped off a tree I had it leaning against and fell. Changed POI by 5" at 100 yards and cost me a deer at 275 yards two days later.

Replaced it with a Vortex.

For banging away at targets, there may be a place for a cheap scope, but I will never put one on a rifle that needs to do serious work.

IMO you will be wasting money getting it fixed.
    Don Verna

I'm very happy with my Vortex scopes and sights. Their life time warranty is tops. I had a Venom red dot fail at the range. I called them and explained the issue. A human answered the phone on the third ring. They sent me a new sight over night priority and it was in my mail box two days later with instructions to put the old one in the box and send it back postage paid.
    Deplorable infidel

You should be happy with the Bushnell. It'll do OK.
    However; once you look through and compare a Tasco with one of the high end scopes- there will be that 'Oh Wow' moment too.
    There are good reasons why there is such a price difference.
    That, 'You're just buying the name' on the high end ones is a myth.

I don't use anything but hard cases.
    But I am careful about laying them flat before I open them.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

Slim1836, I agree, I did it. So now I have to upgrade this rifle.
    dverna, mr Don, that was a cheap buy at a gun show type of thing. The serious weapons have Leupolds. But, it held true on the gun, so I’m just out the cost of an upgrade. I’m not having it fixed. Thanks for the info on Vortex.
    fastdadio, thank you for the info on Vortex and the warranty.
    Winger, I use the hard cases also, I just had a mental lapse, I guess, I normally open them on the tailgate, but, this time I didn’t! It was a stupid move on my part! And, I agree with the statement about quality on the high end stuff as opposed to the lower end stuff! All the rest are Leupold.

Thank you gentlemen, for your comments and suggestions!
    I firmly believe that you should only get treated by how you act, not by who or what you are!!

[QUOTE=Budzilla 19;5482343] I use the hard cases also, I just had a mental lapse, I guess,

You ain't the only one that does that.

I had a buddy who unloaded the truck at deer camp, leaned his hard case (with rifle inside) against the back of the truck,
    got 'side tracked', thought everything was good,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and backed over it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    Stuff happens. I stepped on the sights of my crossbow and thus wrecking them, I lost a hunt. Dropped my rifle on an elk hunt and jammed the muzzle full of mud. Would have been a lost day of hunting if it were not for the Atsko "Rapid-Rod" I had in my kit. Snaps together like a folding blind man's cane into a real good cleaning rod. That thing saved the day.

atsko.com

Boolit Master

Sorry about your scope.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    Sounds like an excellent excuse to buy a good scope. Not a fan of Tasco .
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Boolit Master
    At one time, Tasco did offer a few decent quality scopes. Nothing to compare with Leupold or even Burris, but for what they cost, they were decent. I haven't used or looked through one for many moons, but I'm confident that I really haven't missed much. I'm not a scope snob by any means, but I'm confident that there are significantly better scopes available for not that much money.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I put a new 35 Whelen together on a Savage 110.
    Used a Tasco World Class WOHOO! Rolling my eyes.
    Never even got it sighted in, the Whelen was to much for it.
    Sent it in for repair I think it was Busnell?
    Sent me a new one that I'm not putting on anything serious.
    Those who choose violence as a first option are typically confronted by somebody else using violence as a last resort.

Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back, you’ll enjoy it a second time.

Do not confuse my being polite for weakness.
    Using MX Linux 21

From the free state of Idaho

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nicholst55 View Post
    Um, yeah, they're still in business. Made in China by slave labor, available at Walmart.

https://tasco.com/rifle-scopes/
    Ive had a couple of Tasco scopes and while not my first choice they do the job on a deer rifle used once a year if a little dim compared to my Leopold Gold Rings or my Nikons. However, Simmons would be a choice over Tasco imho but Primary Arms makes good stuff. Have one of their scopes and several thousand rounds later no complaints
    Last edited by jonp; 11-05-2022 at 06:36 PM.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Japanese Tasso World Class I’ve still got has been used on a 7 Mag and 300 Weatherby. That scope is over 30 years old and still works ok. Not a Leupold for sure but a good scope for the $69 I paid. I had read an article by Col. Charles Askins that endorsed the scope and I can’t say he was wrong.

Boolit Master
    bought two tasco silver moose 3x9x40 scopes cheap years ago for my 308 savage .first one cross hair broke after a couple of years ,so put the other one on ,after another year or two the cross hair started to rotate till it went x not+ .put a burris 3x9x40 scope on it 20 years later it is still fine .

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry you broke your scope. Look at a Vortex as a replacement. They are much better than Trashco and their mid-tier optics are reasonably priced for what you get.

But to put things in perspective, a high end Leupold or Nightforce optic (well and truly great scopes) likely wouldn't have even lost zero when dropped from waist high.

Yeah, they're expensive, but you know the rest...

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I had a Tasco. It served my needs when I couldn’t afford a more expensive one.

Boolit Master

Greg, that was the idea behind that Tasco. It served its purpose well. Then I dropped it.

UPDATE: Found a 4-12 x40 Simmons I had stashed, mounted it, sighted in, ready to go!
    Maybe Santa will gift me a 3.5-10 Leupold for Christmas!
    I have been looking at the Vortex brand, ( nephew has several), might just go that way.
    Bushnell is on hold till after deer season is over.
    Retirement budget is tough to get used to! Good thing I stocked up earlier on important things!

Thanks for all your replies, gentlemen, as always I love this site!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Great scope and Tasco do not belong in the same sentence.

I had a Tasco on a hunting rifle. It slipped off a tree I had it leaning against and fell. Changed POI by 5" at 100 yards and cost me a deer at 275 yards two days later.

Replaced it with a Vortex.

For banging away at targets, there may be a place for a cheap scope, but I will never put one on a rifle that needs to do serious work.

IMO you will be wasting money getting it fixed.
    The TASCO of today do not equate with TASCO of the 1970's. I've had them back in the day and they were very decent with a good life time warranty! The TASCO of today are made in China and true trash. The ones I had were on my rifles back in the day as was the one on my friends custom 300 Winchester Mag never faultered.....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast