Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

View Poll Results: Do you lube handgun brass when using a carbide resizing die?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

119 34.39%
  • No.

176 50.87%
  • Sometimes...please specify.

51 14.74%
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Do you lube handgun brass with carbide dies?

Boolit Mold
    I will put two spritzes of Brass Juice on 100 new Starline 45 Colt cases and toss them for a bit in a Tupperware bowl before running them through the progressive even with the carbide dies.

I’ve never sized new unprimed brass-rifle or pistol. I just chamfer necks,prime, charge, and seat the bullet.
    That aside, I have lubed cases for carbide dies and it smooths it up, of course.
    But I usually don’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

A shot of spay on them before being dumped into the case feeder sure makes the press run smoother. Is it necessary? Probably not, but it isn't going to hurt anything either.

Boolit Master

Being OCD, and wanting every new tool/machine on the market I fell in love with wet-tumbled brass--looks like brand new!

the downside (one of several) was the brass really benefits from lube--I use Hornady One-Shot and have noticed they have gotten proud of it--check their prices
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    Being OCD, and wanting every new tool/machine on the market I fell in love with wet-tumbled brass--looks like brand new!

the downside (one of several) was the brass really benefits from lube--I use Hornady One-Shot and have noticed they have gotten proud of it--check their prices

Easy to make your own alcohol/lanolin lube mixture to spray.

Boolit Buddy
    Sometimes. I find a little lube once in a while particularly with thicker cases like 44 mag. Almost never on 9mm or such.

Boolit Master

I prep all my brass before storing it so yeah, lubing the brass keeps it from tarnishing.

Boolit Mold
    Dave, have you perhaps noticed that many cartridge case manufacturers, and virtually all loading manuals recommend sizing new brass? Even Lapua and Starline, 2 of the best manufactures, state that brass cases are manufactured in large quantities and while strict quality control measures are taken to assure uniformity, all new cases benefit from being resized. Light spray lubing can help prevent metallic particle buildup from damaging or marring case and dies.Very little effort to insure dies and brass longevity.
    Last edited by dankathytc; 07-16-2023 at 11:23 AM. Reason: Mos spell

Quote Originally Posted by Bmi48219 View Post
    I prep all my brass before storing it so yeah, lubing the brass keeps it from tarnishing.
    This is true.

Quote Originally Posted by dankathytc View Post
    Dave, have you perhaps noticed that many cartridge case manufacturers, and virtually all loading manuals recommend sizing new brass? Even Lapua and Starline, 2 of the best manufactures, state that brass cases are manufactured in large quantities and while strict quality control measures are taken to assure uniformity, all new cases benefit from being resized. Light spray lubing can help prevent metallic particle buildup from damaging or marring case and dies.Very little effort to insure dies and brass longevity.
    This is also true. I've sized every piece of brass I've ever loaded and it's always worked well for me.

I do occasionally,just makes things run smoothly .
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post

Same for me coupled with mostly using progressives Hornady One-Shot doesn't gum up the press. Hornady One-Shot is basically wax. Due to cost I am starting to look for alternatives that work the same as Hornady One-Shot
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Man
    I use it on the larger cases like 44 mag and 45 colt. I don’t on the 9mm, 40, or 45acp.

I never lube pistol brass in carbide dies
    Oh bother said pooh, as he chambered another round.

Very interesting replies here. I am surprised that there is such a large bracket of people that do lube even if it's sometimes, with only 50% being in the do not lube category.

Boolit Mold
    I do lube my cases lightly even when using carbide dies. I find they go through the die much smoother and it feels easier pumping that press handle especially if I'm doing a few hundred at a time, and I usually am.
    After I size and bell the case mouth, they hit the tumbler for a good cleaning and polish. I like my ammo pretty.

Boolit Master
    I use a real mix of brass, and I use carbide dies. I have about a five gallon pail of .45acp, some dating back to the '40s, some shot so many times it's hard to make out the headstamp. I shoot it all summer and process it all in the fall for the next year. I wash it in soap and water, dry it in the sun and tumble it in corncob grit along with a shot of "cleaner wax". Never trimmed a .45acp case, never lubed one either. Never had an issue.

I lube all, everytime_ carbide or not_ very proud of my lube-greased hands when I size my cleaned brass_
    my t-shirt works as ready-rag-at-hand_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Bub
    I never lube with carbide dies when loading handgun. Loaded quite a few rounds never saw any reason

I just run them thru my case vibrator w/auto polish from wally world and than run them thu my dies. Never had an issue w/any of the pistol barass and carbide dies.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast