Reloading EverythingWidenersSnyders JerkyRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision

View Poll Results: Do you lube handgun brass when using a carbide resizing die?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

119 34.39%
  • No.

176 50.87%
  • Sometimes...please specify.

51 14.74%
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Do you lube handgun brass with carbide dies?

Boolit Master
    Bag Balm....
    It's mostly lanolin and was on hand, so why not.
    Could have used peanut oil...
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I typically never lube pistol brass because I use carbide dies.
    However, I have found that new Starline brass sizes with much less effort if sprayed with Hornady One Shot.
    I have not found a need to lube Starline brass after the initial sizing...it seems to resize just fine with carbide dies after that initial resizing.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by gnostic View Post
    I've never lubed a case sized with carbide dies, that's why I use them...
    I usually do not lub pistol cases. But when I wet tumble with Dawn detergent, the cases come out so squeaky clean they drag in the sizing die.

Just a little lub makes things much easier. I usually spray the loaded ammo with alcohol and "see-saw" them in an old T-shirt to clean off the small amount of lubrication.

I’ll have to try some of these methods lubing when sizing, particularly the super clean or new brass. Thanks all for sharing.

I almost always use my single stage presses. When I'm doing that, I'll just keep a bit of Redding Imperial sizing wax on the fingers of the hand I'm using to grab the cases and just smear a bit on as I handle them normally. This is more than enough to make them glide into the sizing die. I usually wet tumble after sizing to get the primer pockets clean, so I never have to worry about a little bit of residue on the cases.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of the time I don't since it isn't needed for small runs. If I'm digging out the APP press for a longer run of sizing brass it's worth the effort. There is absolutely zero drawback to lube, and they size easier. Why not make it easier on yourself? All I do is spray some lube on the cases when they are in whatever bin is holding them, slosh them around a bit, spray some more, and that's about it.

Boolit Mold
    Never have. Saves me lubing, and removing, the lube.

Boolit Master

200 miles south of the center of the United States
    45 Colt and 44 mag. They just size easier.

I wet tumble first, so they are squeaky clean. A dab of Imperial about every 3-4 cases does it. Dry tumble on cob for about 30 minutes to remove lube.

Takes a little longer, but time...I've got a lot of.
    The enemy of good is better.

Boolit Master
    It takes only a light spray of Hornady Case lube to make my press run so much smoother than without with pistol cases.
    We can’t get Hornady One Shot Case Lube or One Shot Gun cleaner up here in commie Canada anymore due to a labeling issue. But I had bought a couple cases of each a few years ago and am pretty stingy with it.

Boolit Master
    I have posted here 2 times to date but feel I should expand on my previous comments because of the new posts about spray lube and finger rubbing of lube.
    For me, spray lube is very difficult to control the amount, whether sprayed directly on brass or into an empty Ziploc.
    I find the tumble lube method, I posted before to be much more effective in controlling the amount of lube that is unformally applied and can be adjusted via the amount of lube applied to the cotton patches.

If your results tend to be too much lube, you can squeeze the patches in a paper towel to remove excess lube, several times if needed, to get the results you want.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5516651

You can lube a lot of brass quickly that way.
    And as posted before, once I have the results of very minute amounts of lube, I don't bother to remove it as it aids in mag loading and gun function.

jmo,

Last edited by Kenstone; 01-22-2023 at 06:31 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Buddy
    No I don't. I deprime with the Lee universal and wet pin clean. I won't run dirty brass through any of my dies.

Boolit Master
    don't you guys think that ENOUGH has been said on this silly subject??????

I don’t. I’m learning tips and tricks. I had no idea so many folks lubed with carbide dies.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by porthos View Post
    don't you guys think that ENOUGH has been said on this silly subject??????
    Not at all. I'm open to anything that makes my job faster or easier, and I think it is pretentious of you to say lubing handgun cases is silly. I never would have thought of Kenstone's method of tumbling with some lubed patches or rags. That's a slick idea, I'm going to give it a try.

I'm amazed at how long this thread has been running too!
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

Boolit Mold
    Do not lube cases for carbide dies. I tried that once and the case got stuck. I thought I would never get it out.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Not at all. I'm open to anything that makes my job faster or easier, and I think it is pretentious of you to say lubing handgun cases is silly. I never would have thought of Kenstone's method of tumbling with some lubed patches or rags. That's a slick idea, I'm going to give it a try.
    Me too. That’s a slick trick.

Quote Originally Posted by TENMAN View Post
    Do not lube cases for carbide dies. I tried that once and the case got stuck. I thought I would never get it out.
    Happens every time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by TENMAN View Post

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast