Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

View Poll Results: Do you lube handgun brass when using a carbide resizing die?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

119 34.39%
  • No.

176 50.87%
  • Sometimes...please specify.

51 14.74%
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Do you lube handgun brass with carbide dies?

Boolit Master

yes, makes things easier for me. Hornady One Shot

Yes.
    I use progressive presses and lots of times run 2k at a time.
    A shot of Hornady lube in a closed plastic coffee can then give them a shake.
    Load another primer tube or 2 while it dries a bit.
    Helps smooth out the operation and most important it reduces the force needed to cycle and my messed up shoulder really thanks me.
    I also use some wax in dry tumbling media.
    Don't bother trying to remove whats left of the lube after loading.
    This has worked well for me over many thousands of rounds.

Boolit Man
    I don't lube straight-wall cases, per se, when using a carbide sizing die. I give them a quick wash in soapy water using dish detergent, and I don't really rinse them very thoroughly, so there is still a residual amount of soap on them, I guess you could call that lube. After sizing and knocking the old primer out, the primer pocket needs to be cleaned out anyway, and after that is done is when I give them a more thorough wash and rinse before they are left to dry out, and then they go into the tumbler, with some crushed walnut media I get at the pet store, and a small amount of NuFinish. I like 'em shiny!

Scotty

Pretty interesting replies here. So almost 50% don’t lube. So... not as high a margin as I reckoned.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    Pretty interesting replies here. So almost 50% don’t lube. So... not as high a margin as I reckoned.
    I too was surprised at the number that do lube. But after some thought, there is also a lot of folks that are wet tumbling their brass. Which makes it really, really clean. Hence the need/nicety of lube.

I'm still old school vibratory tumbling with walnut grit and mineral spirits. No lube works for me.

45_Colt

I use a vibratory tumbler too. Even if I wet tumbled I’d still run them through the vibratory so I didn’t have to lube.

Boolit Master

Everyone has to do what they thinks best. But if you shoot over 10,000 rounds a year it definitely does help because I have done it both ways.

I use Hornady One Shot on pistol brass. Makes things so much easier on long runs of ammo.

Boolit Bub
    Put another one down for One Shot. Don't spray much, as I feel if I only get partial number of cases, there's enough left in the die for a couple more.

I've never lubed a case sized with carbide dies, that's why I use them...

Boolit Grand Master
    I have mixed up a dash of lanolin w/ some alcohol and spritzed a tray of brass with a spray bottle. worked good.

Boolit Master
    My corncob is filthy. It gives all the lube I need for most pistol cases.

When sizing a hefty batch of 9mm, I sometimes use a sparing amount of lube. I believe the Frankford Arsenal spray lube I use is castor oil? When doing 9mm cases, I don't even add any fresh lube. The residual lube inside the plastic bag I use for rifle cases is enough to lube them. Dump the lot in, and shake them around.

Boolit Master
    Yes

Boolit Master
    Yes, I lube handgun brass but NOT with One Shot.
    Not a fan of spraying brass with lube, so I "tumble-lube" with some cloths moistened with STP or Bag Balm.
    I have been using the same premoistened cloths for 1000s of rounds without adding more lube.
    Note the small hole poked into the STP foil top, easier to pour small amounts, and 20-year-old rags:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	STP.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	309171
    Bag Balm:

Name:	BagBalm.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	309172
    Square Plastic nut "jar":

Name:	BrassJar.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	309173
    Actually, the rags are usually on at the bottom and the brass (more than pictured) is on top.
    With the container about 1/3 full, I just screw on the top, grab it by the top, and swirl it around for 10-20 seconds to uniformly/lightly lube the brass.
    no spray, no waiting to dry, no lube inside cases or in primer pockets, easy-peasy,
    jmo,

Edit: I make no attempt to remove the lube after loading as it aids in the feeding/ejecting when fired.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenstone View Post
    Yes, I lube handgun brass but NOT with One Shot.
    Not a fan of spraying brass with lube, so I "tumble-lube" with some cloths moistened with STP or Bag Balm.
    I have been using the same premoistened cloths for 1000s of rounds without adding more lube.
    Note the small hole poked into the STP foil top, easier to pour small amounts, and 20-year-old rags:

Name:	STP.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	38.8 KB 
ID:	309171
    Bag Balm:

Name:	BagBalm.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	49.1 KB 
ID:	309172
    Square Plastic nut "jar":

Name:	BrassJar.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	309173
    Actually, the rags are usually on at the bottom and the brass (more than pictured) is on top.
    With the container about 1/3 full, I just screw on the top, grab it by the top, and swirl it around for 10-20 seconds to uniformly/lightly lube the brass.
    no spray, no waiting to dry, no lube inside cases or in primer pockets, easy-peasy,
    jmo,

Edit: I make no attempt to remove the lube after loading as it aids in the feeding/ejecting when fired.
    That’s neat. Thanks for sharing that. It may come in mighty handy in the future.

Boolit Master
    no. never lube when using carbide die. there is no need as long as brass is clean

I lube everything from 380 - 45lc, but I run a lot for the club and personal use, but I do not lube my silhouette 357 cause I only load a 100 at a time, go figure ...lol
    ILSA MEMBER
    CLASS 6 FFL

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    no. never lube when using carbide die. there is no need as long as brass is clean
    I hate to but, I'm going to just say, "Yea But" it's a lot easier to work the lever with lubed brass...
    And it loads/strips from mags, and ejects smooothly.

That and I have learned not to make many no/never type rules to live by as someone may have a different/better way.
    You do you, I'll do me, and we can both be happy in our own little worlds...

Last edited by Kenstone; 01-13-2023 at 11:35 PM.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Buddy
    Kenstone, really like that idea! So simple and no lube in mouth. Thanks for sharing. Another good one about the cases ready at the progressive for bad ones.

I have been lubing cases for progressive use. Especially if cases are squeaky clean. My vibratory cleaning is with corncob wetted with mineral spirits or paint thinner. This holds dust down and cuts bullet lube. They come out kind of prelubed from the bullet lube but dust free and clean enough for me. That does it for most calibers but hard to size stuff like 500 Linebaugh and 9 mm I usually add a bit of lube. It really cuts down on wear and tear on me and press. I load all straight wall including 500 with carbide. Also hate the dust left behind by rouge type polish. Just increases effort for sizing as it is an abrasive. Lots of interesting stuff here. Thanks

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Messy bear View Post
    Kenstone, really like that idea! So simple and no lube in mouth. Thanks for sharing. Another good one about the cases ready at the progressive for bad ones.

I have been lubing cases for progressive use. Especially if cases are squeaky clean. My vibratory cleaning is with corncob wetted with mineral spirits or paint thinner. This holds dust down and cuts bullet lube. They come out kind of prelubed from the bullet lube but dust free and clean enough for me. That does it for most calibers but hard to size stuff like 500 Linebaugh and 9 mm I usually add a bit of lube. It really cuts down on wear and tear on me and press. I load all straight wall including 500 with carbide. Also hate the dust left behind by rouge type polish. Just increases effort for sizing as it is an abrasive. Lots of interesting stuff here. Thanks
    Thanks for reading/responding to my post.
    Actually there is a minute amount of lube on the case mouth edge that lubes the expander.
    Well, at least I'm claiming there is.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast