RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationLee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

View Poll Results: Do you lube handgun brass when using a carbide resizing die?

Voters
346. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes.

119 34.39%
  • No.

176 50.87%
  • Sometimes...please specify.

51 14.74%
Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Do you lube handgun brass with carbide dies?

Boolit Buddy
    From RCBS, for non-shouldered cartridges:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011444424?pid=385463
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012058164?pid=453373

Hornady:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011098266?pid=519048

Lee:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011214925?pid=454495

I am sure there are others. But steel dies are still common. And, folks are selling them so that is another source for regular steel dies.

45_Colt

Boolit Buddy
    I was never happier at the reloading bench than the day I switched to a carbide sizing die for .44 Special and stopped lubing the cases.

Boolit Mold
    I know it isn't needed, but I find it easier or smoother when sizing.. I toss all my cases to be sized in a big plastic tupperware tub and give it a light spray of Hoenady One Shot spray case lube.. Works for me

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    From RCBS, for non-shouldered cartridges:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011444424?pid=385463
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012058164?pid=453373

Hornady:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011098266?pid=519048

Lee:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1011214925?pid=454495

I am sure there are others. But steel dies are still common. And, folks are selling them so that is another source for regular steel dies.

45_Colt
    Not a single handgun caliber offered unless you count the special order cowboy 44 special or 45 colt for $75.

So much for steel being cheaper.

Boolit Mold
    Lube 9mm with carbide die. Much easier with large batch

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Not a single handgun caliber offered unless you count the special order cowboy 44 special or 45 colt for $75.

So much for steel being cheaper.
    9x21 is not a straight wall handgun cartridge? 45-70 not a straight wall cartridge that is also used in handguns?

There are others that could also be had in carbide. But again, you miss the fact that there are a ton of used dies for straight wall cartridges that are up for sale...

Then, as you mentioned, steel cowboy straight wall handgun dies in steel are available. You sink your own argument.

45_Colt

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    9x21 is not a straight wall handgun cartridge? 45-70 not a straight wall cartridge that is also used in handguns?

There are others that could also be had in carbide. But again, you miss the fact that there are a ton of used dies for straight wall cartridges that are up for sale...

Then, as you mentioned, steel cowboy straight wall handgun dies in steel are available. You sink your own argument.

45_Colt
    Fine, whatever you say. Steel 9mm Luger, 45 acp, 357 mag, 44 mag, etc. dies have not been available on the shelf in my lifetime. Those steel cowboy dies are not available, they are special order. With enough money anything is possible. For the common person, carbide dies are the ONLY dies that exist anymore. If they were as common as you say, I surely would have seen them before. I've NEVER seen a steel handgun sizing die other than some old pre 60's era mentions in old reloading manuals.

I have seen and have some steel handgun dies, but they are all 60s era or older. Best I recall, even into the 80s, it was possible to obtain steel dies, as the stock remained on shelves for quite some time after they became obsolete.

Boolit Buddy
    I lube all the brass when reloading
    The Soldier that Volunteers, fighting for his Country and his rights,
    makes the most reliable Soldier on Earth.

Yesterday I fired 50 of the .45 ACP cartridges that I had loaded with lubed cases in my CH Mark IV with carbide sizer. All loaded and fired with no problems. Many of the fired cases fell in the snow or water with no harm to the cases. Maybe if it was dry and dusty there might have been a problem. For the time being I will continue to load with the lubed cases. If a problem develops this summer, I will report back.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman

Thanks Doughty.

I am about to do some testing with some new brass to figure out a method that I really like. I will be trying the KenStone method too.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    I do not. A recent thread though prompted a lot of folks saying that they did indeed lube pistol brass that is run through a carbide sizing die. It does make it easier but it is not needed unless you are using new or squeaky clean brass. For new brass I run it through my tumbler so there is a fine dust on the brass. This negates lubing for that first time.

I’m interested if it’s the norm for folks to lube pistol brass or not. I say not but I guess the poll results won’t lie.
    I routinely LIGHTLY lube 30 carbine (RCBS carbide) and 38/357 (Dillon carbide) cases, as the dies leave a bulge just in front of the head w/o the lube. I usually use the Dillon or Midway spray on lube, lightly lightly and lightly.

Other pistol calibers do not require lube in my other Lee, Dillon, Hornady, Redding and RCBS dies.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

I'd rather get COVID than lube and clean my brass after sizing
    Regards,

Gary

Sometimes. Tapered cases like 9MM or 30 Carbine go much easier with lube. New Starline brass can be very difficult to size and lube is almost essential. Subsequent sizings of Starline go much easier.

I use Hornady OneShot spray lube. I spray it into a bin of cases and stir them. I don't try to coat every case, just distribute some of the lube through the bin.

Star's recommendation for tapered cases was to dip your fingers in some lanoline, then stir the bin of cases with your fingers. Pretty much the same thing I do.
    Star Machine Works - Owner
    The Original Blue Press - Made by Machinists not Machines.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    Not having to Lube is the only reason I buy a Carbide Sizer. No way I'm going to lube anyway.

Boolit Master
    Nope.

When using an oversized expander plug, I sometimes lube the case mouths a bit by dipping in some dry Mica.

It's been an interesting discussion thus far. I'm going to be processing some new brass shortly and I'll have to lube them with something, probably a spritz of One Shot.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    Fine, whatever you say. Steel 9mm Luger, 45 acp, 357 mag, 44 mag, etc. dies have not been available on the shelf in my lifetime. Those steel cowboy dies are not available, they are special order. With enough money anything is possible. For the common person, carbide dies are the ONLY dies that exist anymore. If they were as common as you say, I surely would have seen them before. I've NEVER seen a steel handgun sizing die other than some old pre 60's era mentions in old reloading manuals.
    My circa 1974 .357 RCBS set came with a steel sizer.

I very quickly replaced it with carbide and have never lubed straight-walled pistol cases.

I especially don’t get the comment about lubing new brass. If straight-walled virgin pistol cases don’t go through a carbide sizer smooth as a knife through warm butter, I’d say something’s wrong.

My experience is that new brass galls unless lubed. I've had it happen with both new starline 44 brass, and with used but squeaky clean 45 auto brass that was wet tumbled. First it gets a little harder to size and then you start noticing elongated scratch marks on your brass. If you keep going, the scratches get worse.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast