MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who says Microgroove doesn't handle lead

Boolit Master

Who says Microgroove doesn't handle lead

I swapped the Skinner rear sight for a Burris 4x mini for deer season. Took it to Basspro's indoor range to sight it in. Started with a different target at 25yards. Ran a fresh target to 100yards. First two shots were high. Adjusted down for the second two. The second shot was a called wobble. Now if the deer will cooperate.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    7br aka Mark B.

On the internet, I am 6ft tall, good looking and can dance.

Boolit Master
    The old beater rifle in question.

7br aka Mark B.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	82E1042F-46B0-4086-93E2-DD18912F075E.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	190.1 KB 
ID:	306512. Marlin 336 microgroove
    "Experience is a series of non-fatal mistakes"

Disarming is a mistake free people only get to make once...

Boolit Grand Master

Not sure where the idea that microgroove barrels aren't accurate originated but I've had a Marlin 1895 with microgroove barrel and have a Marlin 1894 with microgroove barrel and both handle cast bullets just fine!

One issue with the 1894's in .44 mag. is that the bore and groove are fat so "standard" 0.430" boolits generally don't shoot well. Fatten them up to at least 0.432" and it makes a world of difference!

Longbow

Boolit Master
    You did not say what the caliber is ? What the load is ? You called this a wobble ? IMO For what I can see, These are tipping, not shooting straight?
    All 4 holes are out of round ? Oblong ?
    Might want to try a shorter bullet ? They will still kill deer. If you hit them.

With the mouth breathers and soft heads:
    The truth doesn't stand a chance against a good, well established myth.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Bullets are definitely tipping and on the ragged edge of stability.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    You did not say what the caliber is ? What the load is ? You called this a wobble ? IMO For what I can see, These are tipping, not shooting straight?
    All 4 holes are out of round ? Oblong ?
    Might want to try a shorter bullet ? They will still kill deer. If you hit them.
    The caliber and load are written on the target.

Boolit Master
    By wobble. I meant I rolled the rifle on the rest when I pulled the trigger on the last shot.

7br aka Mark B.

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Bullets are definitely tipping and on the ragged edge of stability.
    A target hanging loose, without a backer, will also give that kind of hole in the paper.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    A target hanging loose, without a backer, will also give that kind of hole in the paper.

Fred
    As does many a target stapled up to "hasty" target hangers at many ranges I have used, where I see things such as the top tilted forward of base, hanger able to flop in the wind due to supports being housed in oversized receiving pockets, target paper being "puckered" because it wasn't stapled flat, etc.

One of the first things I do after hanging targets at current range I use is to find some splintered wood around the target hanger base and shim the uprights until they are tight and about as straight I can get them. Fairly hard to diagnose issues when you don't know the target is true, or at least know the presentation of target to bullet at time of firing.

I just think of the bullet like a draftsman: if the target isn't "true view" you are handicapped in analysis.

You missed that Bullseye by 3/8 of an inch!
    Those sorry old Marlins

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I have some Redfield targets like that and are over 30 years old. I read the instructions last week an they say to shoot at the corners of the diamonds. Fancy that. I been doing it wrong.

Marlin micro grooved barrels have been shooting lead .22 rimfires very accurately for decades -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    This has often been discussed here. Micro groove shoots lead just fine and I’ll add PC too.

Boolit Grand Master

My take on the "Inaccuracy" issue is that those shooters had no idea what "cast slug fit" is..
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

That is it exactly Mike!

If fit to groove is right there is no reason cast lead shouldn't shoot well in microgroove barrels.

My 1895 shot cast boolits from the get go and did so very well even with the hotest 1895 load data. I had trouble with my 1894 because I wasn't smart enough to slug it to ensure that I was using correct size boolits. The Lyman 429421 mould I mistakenly bought for that gun suffered two problems (for a Marlin)... the boolits cast at 0.429"/0.430" which is undersize for Marlin bores, and the crimp to nose length is too long for proper COAL. Not only didn't I get accuracy but I didn't get reliable feeding either. Both issues my fault for not paying attention!

With fatter boolits of 0.432" to 0.434" that gun shoots just fine and if cartridges are loaded to correct COAL they work too! DOH! Whoda thunk it!?!

I am not surprised by 7br's success with the .35 Rem. at all! That seems to me to be a good cast boolit cartridge design too.

To be honest, I am surprised that Marlin went away from the microgroove barrels but I guess there was customer pressure to do so.

Longbow

I have a Marlin 99M1 22LR with a microgroove barrel that accounted for many a rabbit, all head shots.

Boolit Buddy

My 'poor mans cowboy' 1895 in 45-70 is microgrooved, and once i found the right sized bullet mold- .461"- it shoots just fine at least out to 200. not bad for a $310 rifle.
    The procedure is no different, slug the bore, cast to fit/.001" over.
    I had some concern that the rifling was going to strip, but it has not happened as of yet. bullets do not keyhole as they did with the smaller lee mold boolets.

Boolit Master

The myth that MicrogrooveŽ does not handle lead /cast bullets started with gun writers who dabbled in cast bullets.
    They would read in the cast bullet manuals that bullets had to be sized to bore diameter.
    Those of us who were shooting cast bullets discovered that cast bullets were more accurate when sized to 0.002" over bore diameter or larger, in normal rifled bores.
    I discovered that my Marlin 30-30 liked bullets sized to 0.311" or larger (under 1" at 100 meters) but gave 6" groups with the same bullet sized to 0.309".
    MicrogroveŽ barrels give remarkable accuracy with cast bullets when the correct diameter cast bullet is chosen

On a slightly different note.
    Gun writers maligned the 303 British as woefully inaccurate when they loaded 0.308 Commercial bullets for bores that ranged from 0.311" to 0.314" during the 1950s and 1960s. They blamed the 2 piece stock for any inaccuracy.
    I have a 303 (Martini No 3 rifle) with a 0.313 bore that will shoot under 1" all day at 100 meters if i do my part.
    The same cast bullet sized to 0.312" will give keyholes and 16" groups
    Because of gun registration and the introduction of the "magic" WSM calibers many old 303 rifles got traded in. I managed to collect a number and almost all turned out to be able to give me a 2" group or less at 100 meters with cast bullets.
    Not bad for rifles that were made almost 100 years ago. or 70 years ago (the No 4 Lee Enfield).
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast