RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 92 .357 on the way!

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Rossi 92 .357 on the way!

So I went to the fun store today and they had a really nice new Rossi 92 .357 lever action on the rack. Fit and finish on it was surprisingly good and the bore is nice and shiny. I've been wanting another .357 lever action for a long time so I cancelled my layaway on a Sig P365 and put the 92 in.

So, any experiences with these new Rossi's? Do they use 3/8" dovetails for the sights? I'm thinking of putting the Marbles Bullseye on the rear. If it likes the Lee 358-125-RF like my Marlin does then it should be a winner.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

My experience is with a friends rifle. It has such a huge throat that it bulges magnum brass to the point they can’t be reloaded by standard methods. 38s hold the pressure but 357s are severely blown out above the web.

Another friend has a rifle that doesn’t offer that issue.

Boolit Master

I guess mine (R92, 24" case hardened) doesn't qualify as a newer Rossi anymore as it's at least 10 years old. I bought it as slightly used. I spent some time tweaking the action and did some fire lapping. I use a Marples tang sight and Globe type front sight and it'll shoot 1.5" groups at 100 yards any day. 185gr gas checked LBT style wide flat nose bullets and a stout load of H110.

Old eyes and Tang sights equals great fun, I love that rifle.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Thanks. Hopefully mine will he good to go. The owner of this shop stands behind everything he sells even if the factory doesn't. The one and only time I had to use TauRossi service they took care of me 100%. Anybody try the Lee 358-158-RF in it? My Marlin and revolvers love this Boolit.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Grand Master
    A bullet that is excellent in one gun will not always be the best in another. You will need to try a few out and find what works for you but I have not read about the Rossi being picky about bullets.

I hope you enjoy your new gun and it works well for you. I had an older one in .45 LC and it never grew on me. It was an OK gun but I preferred the 1894's and 1873 clones. That was when I was shooting CAS. For a walk around gun and fun plinking gun the Rossi 92's are a great choice IMO. They will not run as slick but they cost quite a bit less and get the job done.
    Don Verna

I've heard good things about the new Rossis.
    Hopefully they do have 3/8" dovetails.
    All the older ones that I had- were closer to 3/7".....
    Hopefully they are not a gun "kit" like they used to be.
    They sure shot well, though.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    So I went to the fun store today and they had a really nice new Rossi 92 .357 lever action on the rack. Fit and finish on it was surprisingly good and the bore is nice and shiny. I've been wanting another .357 lever action for a long time so I cancelled my layaway on a Sig P365 and put the 92 in.

So, any experiences with these new Rossi's? Do they use 3/8" dovetails for the sights? I'm thinking of putting the Marbles Bullseye on the rear. If it likes the Lee 358-125-RF like my Marlin does then it should be a winner.
    I think you're 80mi west of Bardstown, but Ky Gun Co has amazing deals on new Rossi 92s.
    Just ordered a 44mag for about 6 clams & change shipped.
    Bought a used 38/357 20" & its fun to shoot, very slight recoil even with full load 357mag
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Thanks, yes, I am about 2 hours from KY Gun Company. I don't really care how slick the action is as long as it works the way it is supposed to. The design of the 92 and Marlin1894 has always appealed to me more than the 73's. The 73 seems like it would be marginal for use with .357's.

Boolit Bub
    I got a Rossi 45C trapper in stainless a couple months ago. Just put a bullseye sight on it last week. I load 45C a little hot (about 21K psi) with 300gr HC bullets, and the throat on mine is obviously a little large--some bulging in back. I had to reset my resizing die to make sure it was getting absolutely as far back as possible, whereas before (with my other 45C guns), I had never needed to care. I think that gets it all, or close enough. Even before that, with a donut of bulged area still there, the OD of the resized case at the bulge was under the SAAMI minimum chamber spec. My 7 year-old 357 is worse--no way to get the last mm or so of bulged donut left in a 357 magnum case after resizing, so I stick to 38 specials (with 125 grain coated TCFP bullets). Even though I think the bulging is on the high side of OK, I don't plan on shooting new Starline brass out of it, just the mixed headstamp 45C brass that I've reloaded at least a few times before. It's a blast to shoot, though. I like tossing a scrap furring strip onto the berm and make it jump around until it's broken into slivers too small to hit off-hand. Smaller calibers, and hotter ones like 44M, don't seem to make it jump as high.

BTW, although the action is OK, I installed the Palo Verde Gun Works spring kit because I liked what it did for my 357 Rossi. I also installed a brass follower and trimmed the magazine spring a little. Could have been happy without any of that, I'm sure, but it's pretty great with it all.

Boolit Bub
    I am going to be waiting for your review on this one. I really want one of the new Rossi 92's in 357 with the 24" octagon barrel.

Boolit Master

I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have enjoyed mine. I think they are great rifles.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master

Put a peep sight on the bolt safety.

Boolit Buddy
    Steve's guns has the correct dovetail sights for rossi

The one my buddy has that bulges cases, is about the most fun lever gun I’ve ever shot. Fit and finish is good. The sights are wonky. But that’s easily remedied by a marbles rear sight. The safety is readily removed too if so desired. It has a razors edge on the loading port.

Thanks guys. I really hope it doesn't bulge cases, my Marlin doesn't. The bolt safety doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't turn on by itself.

I have a '92 Rossi .357 that's about 10 years old. I bought it for CAS and ran it like a rented mule. It's been a great little rifle, plenty accurate to 100 yds. for deer and such. I put a walnut stock on mine.

Let us know how yours is!

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Bub
    I couldn't resist the urge so I put in my order for the 24" octagon barrel Rossi in 357. Crossing my fingers that there are no chamber problems.

I recently bought a new Rossi 92 in 45 Colt and that rifle is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    I have a '92 Rossi .357 that's about 10 years old. I bought it for CAS and ran it like a rented mule. It's been a great little rifle, plenty accurate to 100 yds. for deer and such. I put a walnut stock on mine.

Let us know how yours is!

35W
    Yeah, that's exactly like mine. What kinda Boolits and loads does it like? Ever try Hornady 158 and 180 XTP's in it? I have some of both plus a can of H110 that needs a purpose in life.

Quote Originally Posted by papaglenn View Post
    I couldn't resist the urge so I put in my order for the 24" octagon barrel Rossi in 357. Crossing my fingers that there are no chamber problems.

I recently bought a new Rossi 92 in 45 Colt and that rifle is excellent.
    Wise decision. If Rossi is putting the same amount of attention on chambers as they are the rest of the rifle then it should be good to go.

I LOVE mine.

I tuned it up using the DVD a a guide, https://store.stevesgunz.com/index.p...&products_id=2

It's so smooth that when my daughter was in elementary school, she could cycle the action with one finger.

I ordered a MARBLE rear sight from BROWNELLS

This was during the horrible Obama era, when 22LR was impossible to find.

I taught both daughters to shoot it with 125gr RNFP and 3.0gr CLAYS, very mild.

with H110/w296 or 2400, it's a powerful little carbine.

16" 1892 H110/win296 chrony data

125gr XTP - 2241fps

140gr XTP - 1963fps

158gr XTP - 1748

168gr LEE SWC-GC - 1882

NRA LIFE Member

USPSA/IPSC

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast