Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Rossi 92 .357 on the way!

I love the Rossi 92s. Mine have had the Steve’s Gunz tune up from the video and I prefer them over the Henry BBs. The Henry’s are nicer rifles but not nearly as handy as the M92.
    Tony

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bazoo View Post
    My buddies Rossi has some mini14 ejection. I mean it sends them in low orbit. It also will mangle the mouth slightly. He don’t reload and it don’t phase him.
    A lighter extractor spring will fix that. I got mine from Stevesgunz when I ordered the peep sight and followers. Made a huge difference in my 357 and 44 Rossi 92s.

Question for Rossi 92 owners: do they still come with a plastic magazine follower, or have they finally gone to metal?

Mine, which is about 8 years old or so, came with a yellow plastic piece. I made a metal one from 2 cartridge cases for my .357, a .44 mag case and a .40 S&W case.

Lots of Rossi info on www.Rossi-rifleman.com

Boolit Buddy
    Still plastic I'm afraid. I replace mine with stainless ones from Stevesgunz.
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Boolit Bub
    I like mine a lot. 20" round barrel, blued. made in 2017 or 18. It was mangling case mouths, the c-530 spring fixed that, drops cases about 3 ft from me now. slicked it up a little while I had it apart and put in a stainless follower I bought on ebay. I also put a .010" shim under the mainspring from a cut down feeler gauge, trigger drops at about 2.5 lbs.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Sounds great. Got some stuff sold, should be able to bail out the Rossi soon as everyone pays up.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    I just finished shooting my new Rossi 92 357 magnum with a 24" octagon barrel.

Very nice rifle, seems to be very accurate.

What concerns me is a distinct bulging in the cases near the head. It looks like the chamber was relieved for feeding but too much material was removed.

I am going to contact Rossi to see what is going on. I can attach photos here if you guys want to see what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by papaglenn View Post
    I just finished shooting my new Rossi 92 357 magnum with a 24" octagon barrel.

Very nice rifle, seems to be very accurate.

What concerns me is a distinct bulging in the cases near the head. It looks like the chamber was relieved for feeding but too much material was removed.

I am going to contact Rossi to see what is going on. I can attach photos here if you guys want to see what I am talking about.
    Go for it. I’ll see if I can dig some brass out that came from my buddies rifle. Mine won’t even chamber after resizing because of the bulge that’s left. Not sure if the brass is compromised. Glad I don’t have much of it like that.

Quote Originally Posted by FergusonTO35 View Post
    Sounds great. Got some stuff sold, should be able to bail out the Rossi soon as everyone pays up.
    Shame ya ain’t next door, I’d help ya shoot it!

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry to say, I just went through all that. Stainless 16" Rossi... bulged 357 brass... 38's were ok.
    Contacted Rossi, they said send it back. I did, and waited for 2 months for Brazil to send a new barrel.. only to be told they didn't make the stainless anymore. They offered a 20" blued as a replacement. About a month later, it came in, same issues... bulged brass.
    I also have a Rossi in 45 colt that will bulge brass with anything approaching a warm load. Cowboy type loads only for it. I posted these pics in the other thread on Rossi 357's but here are samples from both of my 357's...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st 357.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	307461

Name:	2nd 357.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	307462

That’s exactly what the brass from my buddies rifle looks like. I haven’t dug any out. I throwed most of it away.

I wonder if they could be saved, and be safe, if I ran it all the way into a die, using a flat shell holder to push it in, then removed via a long punch through the decapping rod hole.

Boolit Bub
    Yep, that's exactly what my brass looks like also. I contacted Rossi the week before Thanksgiving and the nice lady said, and I am paraphrasing her words, "We just had training on this problem and our gunsmith said to try different brands of ammo until you find one that works." I told her that there is not a lot of ammo to choose from right now. She seemed sympathetic but her hands were tied. She said I could send it in and I was going to until I read the above post.

If it's going to come back with the same problem then I won't waste my time. And oh yeah, "No reloads!"

I have a brand new Levtac 92 in 357 magnum and it bulges brass even worse. I did send that back they told me 4 to 6 months at least.

Is rather have a gun that won’t feed anything but RNFP but don’t bulge the brass, for sure. I hope Ferguson’s gun is not like that!

Boolit Buddy
    Lil' Gun is very easy on the brass. 158s with Lil' Gun only make about 25k PSI and the brass looks way better than less-than-max 2400 or 296 loads. In my guns (4 different Rossis through the years), 14 gr of 2400 and a 158 is pretty hard on brass, 15 grains pretty much ruins it, and 18 gr of Lil' Gun lets me reload cases at least 10 times. Plus the Lil' Gun is more powerful and flatter shooting than anything else. The only downside is your barrel will get pretty hot within 8 or 10 shots. In the summer and it will take you at least an hour to shoot a hundred rounds instead of 100 rounds in 10 minutes with 38 specials.

One time I did have a Rossi with the funneled chamber mouth plus bad headspace. I could get 12 pieces of scotch tape on the rim of a cartridge and still close the lever all the way. That gun would rupture cases on the first firing with 240 or 296 and ruin them with Lil' Gun. It got replaced by another with great headspace but still a funneled chamber mouth. The Lil' Gun really gets you some brass life in the lever guns.
    Last edited by mnewcomb59; 11-30-2022 at 10:04 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mnewcomb59 View Post
    Lil' Gun is very easy on the brass. 158s with Lil' Gun only make about 25k PSI and the brass looks way better than less-than-max 2400 or 296 loads. In my guns (4 different Rossis through the years), 14 gr of 2400 and a 158 is pretty hard on brass, 15 grains pretty much ruins it, and 18 gr of Lil' Gun lets me reload cases at least 10 times. Plus the Lil' Gun is more powerful and flatter shooting than anything else. The only downside is your barrel will get pretty hot within 8 or 10 shots. In the summer and it will take you at least an hour to shoot a hundred rounds instead of 100 rounds in 10 minutes with 38 specials.

One time I did have a Rossi with the funneled chamber mouth plus bad headspace. I could get 12 pieces of scotch tape on the rim of a cartridge and still close the lever all the way. That gun would rupture cases on the first firing with 240 or 296 and ruin them with Lil' Gun. It got replaced by another with great headspace but still a funneled chamber mouth. The Lil' Gun really gets you some brass life in the lever guns.
    That is some dang useful info. Thanks for sharing.

Boolit Buddy
    Is rather have a gun that won’t feed anything but RNFP but don’t bulge the brass, for sure. I hope Ferguson’s gun is not like that!
    I had a couple of options...either spend 1200 plus on a Winchester short rifle (if I could find one) or go the Marlin route for around the same money, if not more. I had looked at the Henrys, and was sort of blah about them... until I found one to handle. It was a 44 mag version, but all else was the same. I was sold... I found one (16") in blued steel with a side gate, and got my wife to agree to an early Christmas present. No, it's not a 92 action, but it has a very nice walnut stock with real cut checkering, and it fired about 75 rounds of full 357 loads a couple of days ago, with no bulged brass at all. Half were 158 gr JHP's and the others were powder coated SWC's.
    If you like the Marlin 336 family of rifles, you'll love the Henry Big Boys... not trying to siderail the thread, just telling my solution.

If that turns out to be the case it will be traded on a Henry. My dealer will take care of the customer even if the factory won't.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Buddy
    Well did you get that lever gun yet?
    Only a fool would attempt it, and God help me I am that fool.

Should be within 2 weeks. Holiday brokeness is real!

Boolit Buddy
    I hope it works well for you...
    On a happy note, my .45 Rossi is going to be a keeper. It still bulges brass some on heavier loads, but I shot it today with a couple of different loads that push a 225 gr PC bullet at 1150 fps, and it amazed me with the accuracy at 50 yards.
    I also shot some warmer loads... a 255gr cast swc at an average 1400 fps. They bulged the brass a little bit, but not too much for reloading.
    The 1150 fps loads don't bulge it at all. I can live with that.... I managed to pull one shot out on each of these loads, but to shoot like this at 50 yards with apertures and my old eyes? I'm satisfied. The Rossi's I've seen all seem to be very accurate... if they can get the chamber issue resolved, I'll have some more of them...

Name:	target Rossi 45 50 AA5.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	308324 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	target Rossi 45 50 Unique.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	42.7 KB 
ID:	308325

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast