WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Load DataLee PrecisionInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Snyders Jerky Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 358 Win did the trick

358 Win did the trick

I managed to get a nice young buck for the freezer last week with my Marlin 336 that I rechambered to 358 Win. A 200gr NOE with a huge hollow point at 1700 fps did the trick, and dropped him in his tracks with a high lung hit. I was kind of surprised at how destructive it was, the main exit hole was about 2 inches wide and there was another smaller one near it. Like Brandon says about the 9mm, it blew part of his lung clear out of his body. I made a batch of chili with some of him today and he's quite tasty.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails deer.jpg  

Well done, sir.
    Those young ones sure taste better than the old ones!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Congrats Nobade on the deer & chili. I am fortunate enough that I have 3 farmers on the other side of the ridge that raise corn, & I've killed some old bucks & they were just as good as the young ones. I appreciate them fattening them up for me to be butchered! We don't have many deer, but what we do have are pretty large & tasty. Again Congrats to you Nobade!

Boolit Master

Good work! Think you will keep the hollow point?

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Nice! I used what I believe was the same boolit at 2100 fps out of my 35 Rem 336 with 50/50 COWW and pure. My load recipe is with 40 grains of varget…it’s my 3 shot,100 yard, avatar group. Dropped my doe like it got hit like a mallet. Never moved or flinched. Left some huge holes in the ribs. I like it!!!

Here’s are the holes mine made…wouldn’t want it any other way. I like watching deer drop in their tracks.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-HP-group-buy!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 11-03-2022 at 03:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Nice! I used what I believe was the same boolit at 2100 fps out of my 35 Rem 336 with 50/50 COWW and pure. My load recipe is with 40 grains of varget…it’s my 3 shot,100 yard, avatar group. Dropped my doe like it got hit like a mallet. Never moved or flinched. Left some huge holes in the ribs. I like it!!!

Here’s are the holes mine made…wouldn’t want it any other way. I like watching deer drop in their tracks.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...n-HP-group-buy!
    That is some impressive damage! I do think it is the same bullet, at least the nose is. Now I'm glad I didn't load them any faster. It made an impressively loud noise when it hit him and he dropped in his tracks. load was 19 grains of 10B101, easy shooting with very little recoil and evidently plenty powerful. Range was about 75 yards.

Boolit Buddy
    Very nicely done!

I'm impatiently waiting for our season to start so I can see how the 35 XCB boolit out of my 358 Win will perform in the 100-200 yard range.

Boolit Master
    Nice ��

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    I managed to get a nice young buck for the freezer last week with my Marlin 336 that I rechambered to 358 Win. A 200gr NOE with a huge hollow point at 1700 fps did the trick, and dropped him in his tracks with a high lung hit. I was kind of surprised at how destructive it was, the main exit hole was about 2 inches wide and there was another smaller one near it. Like Brandon says about the 9mm, it blew part of his lung clear out of his body. I made a batch of chili with some of him today and he's quite tasty.
    Please excuse my ignorance here. Was the 336 rifle rechambered to 356 winchester or 358 winchester. The load of 1700 fps second sounds like .356.
    The 358 winchester that I know is a neck up 308 and it is a higher pressure cartridge for a gun like a 336 or at least so I think.

Moderator Emeritus

Not the OP but my 356 Winchester could put out a jacketed 180 gr at 2700 fps. There is little pressure difference between the two when Winchester designed them. I don't know what the top end is on the 336 but I think the OP shot at 1700 fps just because it was all he needed.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Exactly. I don't fire factory 358 win ammo in that rifle, it would be a bit hot as well as usually having spitzer bullets. But I can easily load it to exceed 35 remington ballistics without any trouble. I ended up changing this rifle because after I bought it cheap I found out why. It was originally a 35 Remington and it had a big gouge in the chamber from the factory and couldn't handle full pressure ammo. Rather than a new barrel I just rechambered the one I had and opened up the bolt face a hair to make it work. It's a dandy now, much more accurate than it was originally and no problem getting fired cases out of the chamber any longer. And MT Gianni is right, these were some old loads I had made up for shooting silhouettes and they were plenty effective on that deer.

Boolit Master

very good !
    glad for you!
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nobade View Post
    Exactly. I don't fire factory 358 win ammo in that rifle, it would be a bit hot as well as usually having spitzer bullets. But I can easily load it to exceed 35 remington ballistics without any trouble. I ended up changing this rifle because after I bought it cheap I found out why. It was originally a 35 Remington and it had a big gouge in the chamber from the factory and couldn't handle full pressure ammo. Rather than a new barrel I just rechambered the one I had and opened up the bolt face a hair to make it work. It's a dandy now, much more accurate than it was originally and no problem getting fired cases out of the chamber any longer. And MT Gianni is right, these were some old loads I had made up for shooting silhouettes and they were plenty effective on that deer.
    Thank you sir for a complete, logical, and patient answer. Makes good sense. Some of the 94 winchesters were especially strengthen for the more powerful cartridges. That was also true of some of the 336 actions also that are branded with other names.
    I am not really too sure which is the stronger: a basic 94 winchester or a basic 336 marlin. I have not done any reloading yet for my marlin 35 rem made in the 60's, but will stay with what the reloading manuals state. I think the 35 rem is underloaded because of some of the older designs and 200 grains at 2000 fps is a respectable load for east of the Mississippi as long as one is not going after moose.

358Win is an excellent cartridge. I have a bolt action rifle in that chambering and it will definitely get the job done. Nice deer for the freezer!

Galena Guru

No flies on the 358 or 35 Rem , love 'em both , still wish I had my M88 358 and 336 35 Rem
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Grand Master

Well done! I can taste that fresh heart cooked with onions in the cast iron frying pan at deer camp.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Excellent shootn and enjoy , that will be some good eating . And with a gun you shot silhouette with that's even better , no doubt you were dialed in .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

USMC 77, USRA 79

I just love it when they drop on the spot!!!

Well done…. That’s some great eating.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    MT, a 356 at 2700 fps with a 180 grain j word seems pretty hot to me…wow! I know my 35 whelen 7600 will recoil ALOT more than my 300 RUM with a 180 grain hot core at 2950 fps. I’d hate to see the wear and tear it would do to a 336 with that kind of recoil beating.

Sounds like when I loaded up my 450 BM Ruger American to max460 S&W velocities. The action held up but the rest of gun fell apart.

Boolit Master

Looks like your season is off to a good start.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle