WidenersLoad DataInline FabricationTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Lead fuse links?

Boolit Mold

Lead fuse links?

Hi, I came across this listed locally as 'Lead Fuse Links'. Anyone know whether these is actually any lead in these fuse links?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshots_2022-11-02-07-39-48.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	306472

Boolit Master
    Most likely, Battery terminals are lead and fuse links in clear fuses are lead. If the price is right grab them and have it tested. If it is electrical I seriously doubt it would be zinc. If those are the original boxes that they are in and that is what is marked lead fusible links then that is your answer.

Boolit Buddy
    Looks like a fuse link, just really large. I have seen smaller ones for like a 50-200Amp fuse but these are much bigger. Most of the ones I have seen are a lighter metal like aluminum but I am sure a lower temp metal unlike aluminum. I would find lead content to be small.

Found this on the web about renewable fuse links. Pierce is a manufacturer of fuse links and assemblies.

Fusible alloys are metal alloys that melt at low temperatures, usually below 300º F or 150° C. Many fusible alloys have eutectic compositions and are often bismuth-based in combination with lead, tin, antimony, gallium, cadmium, zinc, and indium alloying constituents. Some fusible alloys are gallium-based or indium-based. Fusible alloys are essentially stable and inert—especially when compared to metallic elements on the other side or periodic table (e.g. K, Na, Li). While alkali (Li, Na, K, Rb, Cs) and alkali earth (Mg, Ca, Sr, Ba) metals also have low melting points, alloys of these metals are usually excluded from the group of fusible alloys because of their unstable nature and reactivity. Low melting point alloys are usually available in the form of solid bars, ingots, powder, solid ribbon, wire and special forms.
    Last edited by GlocksareGood; 11-02-2022 at 09:55 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    We used fusible links in the switch yards back in the 70's ( and probably before, but I'm not THAT old) that resembled what you have there. A short in the wiring or equipment would melt the link, break the circuit and prevent the high temps from damaging valuable electrical equipment. I think that is what you have there.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Well if Pierce is still in business you could always call them up and ask what they are.