RepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Is there a section for large(R) bore air guns?

Boolit Master

Is there a section for large(R) bore air guns?

I'm beginning to develop an interest in air guns that might be capable of humanely downing animals larger than barn mice. IDEALLY, I'd like to learn more about air guns with bores in the .358" to .452" range, since velocities will (I expect) be low, and projectile weights should be on the "hefty" side.

If there's a separate forum dedicated to this particular subject, would someone please point me to it?
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

I think "AirGuns" is it.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    I'm beginning to develop an interest in air guns that might be capable of humanely downing animals larger than barn mice. IDEALLY, I'd like to learn more about air guns with bores in the .358" to .452" range, since velocities will (I expect) be low, and projectile weights should be on the "hefty" side.

If there's a separate forum dedicated to this particular subject, would someone please point me to it?
    While being quite the avid airgunner -- spring, pump, CO2, and PCP included -- I find THIS site the best. That writ -- another site I'm not a member of, but have read articles on, is:
    https://www.airgunnation.com/threads/big-bore.1270854/
    geo

Kosh: You are in the right place, there just isn't a lot of people here that have Big Bore Airguns. If you go on the "please post something interesting" thread above, someone posted a video of a guy shooting a pig with a .45 cal gun. DRT!!! A 250 gr 45 cal. slug at 800 fps is well into .45 LC range from a pistol and they have killed a lot of stuff with Colt SAA's which were originally designed to bring down a Horse.

YouTube also has a lot of videos on this particular subject. Feel free to post links to them on your thread.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

I have an Airforce Texan ss .457. I use the same boolit that i use for my 45/70. I get good accuracy out to 100 yards. I would not hesitate to use this on deer size game if I was in a range I felt comfortable shooting it. (Say 50 yards or less.) There are several videos on YouTube that are worth checking out.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I wouldn't recommend doing it, but I once saw a video of a guy killing a wild hog with a Gamo Whisper in .177 caliber.
    I guess, how much bigger than a mouse do you want to shoot?

Boolit Buddy
    In fact there´s plenty vids of ppl shooting hogs with say 25cal PCP.
    Just put the pill on the ear and done deal, and seeing the accuracy of a well developed PCP setup that is certainly doable out to an easy 100 meters.

That said.
    Check gateway to airguns.
    Then "the Darkside" and in turn there´s a vivid bigbore section on there.

Boolit Master
    THANKS, guys!
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!