Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
RepackboxSnyders JerkyInline FabricationLee Precision
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-bluing a gun without grinding away metal?

Re-bluing a gun without grinding away metal?

I am looking at an old Colt that has lost most of the bluing. I'm not sure why, but it has. Someone put something on it that removed a lot of the blue.
    It was carried a ton but apparently not fired a lot. It is a definite candidate for a shooter grade gun.
    The gun is also a definite candidate for a re-blue, but I HATE guns that have been re-blued with a grinding wheel to prep the metal....something about losing the sharpness of the letters and rampant Colt just doesn't sit well with me.
    Can the gun be re-blued without grinding away metal? It isn't pitted - it just lost most of the bluing.
    Maybe a re-blue or a cerakote?
    Regardless, I don't want to have the metal ground away.
    Your thoughts?
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

If the guns surface finish is currently even or acceptable clean the metal good degrease and blue. But any bright spots holster wear or rough areas will show in the new bluing. A light blocked sanding or polish with a true polishing stick or stone to restore the surface to even makes a big difference.

Boolit Master
    Not all hot blue/ polishers are equal. Anyone can buff the hell out of a gun, even when new.
    Fords and turnbull both do excellent polish and blue work
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by country gent View Post
    If the guns surface finish is currently even or acceptable clean the metal good degrease and blue. But any bright spots holster wear or rough areas will show in the new bluing. A light blocked sanding or polish with a true polishing stick or stone to restore the surface to even makes a big difference.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^This^^^^^^^^^^^

- Or you can bead blast the whole gun and get a nice even matte finish (although the polish will obviously be gone). I treated an old Remington 11 shotgun with blasting, followed by hot bluing - made for a very durable finish for field use.
    - Or you can cold blue using Oxpho or a similar product. Degrease the main parts after disassembly then apply the chemical with steel wool that has also been degreased.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Bluing prep is best done by hand, by someone who knows what they are doing. If someone is grinding on them, they shouldn't have them in the first place.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    "Bluing prep is best done by hand, by someone who knows what they are doing. If someone is grinding on them, they shouldn't have them in the first place."

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

So you just want the revolver as a utility gun, want it to be blue but not a showpiece? You can just disassemble it and degrease it and run it through the bluing tanks, but all imperfections like pits, scratches, nicks will remain and in some instances become more noticeable. As said above, removing those imperfections will require hand polishing by a skilled person--expect to pay accordingly.

DG

If it was a cattle gun, the bluing loss could be from blood.
    All said above is valid, make sure it's completely clean before anything.

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    bluing prep is best done by hand, by someone who knows what they are doing. If someone is grinding on them, they shouldn't have them in the first place.
    ABSOLUTELY!!!! That is why, back in the day, I charged an arm and a leg to reblue handguns. I polished all by hand.

50 years ago, I used to reblue a lot of police revolvers due to holster wear. I just completely disassembled cleaned with a heated detergent that I used to get from Brownells, then I would give the parts a bath in a dilute solution of Muriatic acid to remove the old blue and evenly "etch" the surface, rinse REAL good in running water to neutralize and then to the blue tank. The "etching" made the surface difference between the unblued portion and the holster worn areas pretty much even, so it all blued evenly. This was the caustic blacking process. I have found that even the best of the "blue in a bottle" is marginal at best.
    Last edited by roysha; 11-02-2022 at 01:39 PM.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Master
    I generally just soak the metal parts in Vinegar to remove the old bluing and any rust.
    It does not etch the metal.
    Then hand polish and clean in Acetone to de grease the metal before re bluing.
    The hand polishing evens out the finish where there are wear marks like from holster wear.
    To polish I often just use mag wheel polish.
    For a more Matt finish , I just bead blast the metal before bluing.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by FISH4BUGS View Post
    I am looking at an old Colt that has lost most of the bluing. I'm not sure why, but it has. Someone put something on it that removed a lot of the blue.
    It was carried a ton but apparently not fired a lot. It is a definite candidate for a shooter grade gun.
    The gun is also a definite candidate for a re-blue, but I HATE guns that have been re-blued with a grinding wheel to prep the metal....something about losing the sharpness of the letters and rampant Colt just doesn't sit well with me.
    Can the gun be re-blued without grinding away metal? It isn't pitted - it just lost most of the bluing.
    Maybe a re-blue or a cerakote?
    Regardless, I don't want to have the metal ground away.
    Your thoughts?
    Normally grinding is not done for a reblue. Buffing and polishing is. Improper buffing is what washes out the sharpness of lettering and corners. As stated above hand polishing tends to give the best result however it is also the most expensive.

You did not state what model Colt it is but if it's not pitted it would be a shame to cerakote it. Companies like Turnbull and Taylor's do excellent restoration but like they say you get what you pay for. If cost is an object you can do it yourself with polishing stick and rust bluing. If it truly is an old Colt collectable removing the patina may hurt collectors value.

What model is it?
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 11-02-2022 at 03:46 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    The only "smith" who'd use a grinder on a gun to do a bluing job is the one named Bubba. Usually Bubba's better known for installing scope mounts with an arc welder, carving stocks out of 2x4's with an angle grinder, anything involving a massive blob of JB weld, or a litany of disasters caused by zealous use of a Dremel tool.

Boolit Master

I would leave it and enjoy the current patina shine. For restoring an old colt Doug Turnbull is the only one I'd trust. Bad jobs are not easily re done.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by 405grain View Post
    The only "smith" who'd use a grinder on a gun to do a bluing job is the one named Bubba. Usually Bubba's better known for installing scope mounts with an arc welder, carving stocks out of 2x4's with an angle grinder, anything involving a massive blob of JB weld, or a litany of disasters caused by zealous use of a Dremel tool.
    I have seen way too many of those. That is why I am exploring options.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I generally just soak the metal parts in Vinegar to remove the old bluing and any rust.
    It does not etch the metal.
    Then hand polish and clean in Acetone to de grease the metal before re bluing.
    The hand polishing evens out the finish where there are wear marks like from holster wear.
    To polish I often just use mag wheel polish.
    For a more Matt finish , I just bead blast the metal before bluing.

This.....
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If it’s an old classic gun, consider cleaning and polishing it and keeping it as is. It may be more valuable in its original condition.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Bluing prep is best done by hand, by someone who knows what they are doing. If someone is grinding on them, they shouldn't have them in the first place.
    Amen !
    Facta non verba

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    If it’s an old classic gun, consider cleaning and polishing it and keeping it as is. It may be more valuable in its original condition.
    Well, it is an old Colt New Service in 38 Special. Nothing particularly rare and it looks like the gun was dipped in blood and has lost the vast majority of its bluing. There is no pitting on it, rather just a loss of bluing.
    I am a collector of pre-war Colts, High Standards and S&W's so I fully understand the effect of refinishing a gun. I am looking this one to be a shooter, period.

Boolit Master

No matter it will still be a re-blue as for collector's purposes. I have stripped hanguns in Brownells steel white then rinsed and cleaned in the soaps rinsed again then into the blue tanks. None of the markings were hurt came out as good as the original polish was However if as they say just the blue gone if it was blood that did it you will see it after bluing because it was etched.

Just strip it and blue it if you don't like it it can be stripped again and then repolished.

Boolit Master
    Mark Lee Express blue would be my choice. I use a heat gun to get the clean metal hot, or a hair dryer would work. You can keep repeating the process until you get the result you want. It turns darker, when you oil it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast