Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionWidenersRotoMetals2
Load DataRepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Came across a wreck of a small EV

Boolit Master

Came across a wreck of a small EV

Was taking the hound to the groomer when I came across a traffic jam all but one lane blocked on one of the busiest streets in town. The EV had ran a stop light and a F250 SD hit him I have seen very few cars come apart like that, Hope the passengers were OK. Not sure I am ready for a small car in an area where 60% of all vehicles' are large pick ups and larger.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Pardon my ignorance but what is an EV and an SD?

Boolit Master

I'm thinking EV=electric vehicle, SD=Super Duty

Yes my thoughts are as long as I can get into my 3/4 ton Suburban I'll be driving it, friend had a small car and I almost couldn't get in or out of the darn thing!

Boolit Grand Master

Ralph Nader is turning in his grave...
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

All those little toy cars do that.

When smart cars were first on the street, there was a picture floating around of one that was parked in front of a regular heavier car.
    A box/delivery truck had slipped out of gear and coasted down a slight hill into the other end of it.
    It folded up and the rear wheels were within a inch or two of touching the back side of the front wheels.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Emergency Vehical vs F250 Super duty

Mike

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Ralph Nader is turning in his grave...
    Ralph Nader is not dead.

Cabin fever versus going to town...
    Heh, the wife's truck is almost twenty years old and has 60,000 miles on it. Her Explorer had less than that. It was one of those two door five speed stick shift four wheel drive sport model things but she wanted a pickup. No way she'd have one of those destructo-toys.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ickisrulz View Post
    Ralph Nader is not dead.
    What a shame

Boolit Master
    Cars, especially small ones are suppposed to fly apart like that in a crash, that’s how you walk away. While yea an f250 will destroy a Tesla , small cars have a higher survival rating than big suvs and trucks in crashes.
    NRA High Master XTC
    DR# 2125

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by akajun View Post
    Cars, especially small ones are suppposed to fly apart like that in a crash, that’s how you walk away. While yea an f250 will destroy a Tesla , small cars have a higher survival rating than big suvs and trucks in crashes.
    This is only true if a small car hits another small car. If a small car hits a truck or SUV, the driver of the smaller vehicle is much more likely to be killed than the driver of the larger vehicle.

Boolit Grand Master

Like riding a motorcycle ... if you drive a small car ... you may not want to run traffic lights .
    Lots of time I had the right of way but I knew if the truck / van / car ran into me on my motorcycle I was going to get busted up ... Don't run traffic lights or stop signs .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

I drive a compact SUV and my State taxes it as a TRUCK. Apparently all SUV's in KS are listed and taxed as TRUCKS, more taxes.

Boolit Master

1. Law of Mass. Can NOT be repealed or adjusted by the Liberal Left.

2. EV cars are extremely light weight due to attempts to extend mileage by reducing weight wherever possible to provide some useful range - extremely thin aluminum, and even extremely thin plastic. (Yeah those EV's use vast amounts hydrocarbons). . Year ago Middle son gave the wife a Tesla (we gave it back to him because of many issues for remote/rural/desert/forest areas). We picked it up from the Tesla Dealer and received the 1 hour walk around and training session. One of the "Training Issues" was where to place ones hands (and ONLY THERE) to close the front hood. If you place your hands anywhere else and close the hood YOU WILL dent the hood; as an example of just how much they have stripped out the weight on EV's.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Grand Master

I know most of you have seen the cartoon of the small bug car torn to pieces, the driver and passenger transported to the hospital and the Squirrel left the scene!

where the gas engine was in a regular car, the EV,s have a small wind mill, a few solar panels and four miles of extention cord.

Moderator Emeritus

Tesla caught on fire about 6 miles from me. By the time the fire died the aluminum and glass had melted into the pavement and what was left fit in a skid loader bucket... rest went POOF. Guy driving said he stopped, something under the floor popped then the cabin was on fire. He had to smash the window to get out because the goofy electric door latch failed right away and the door refused to open. It burned for 24 hours... local FD's dumped the little foam they keep on hand then had to wait for more to be delivered from a bigger FD. Batteries cooking off ignited the corn field next to it, lucky the wind was blowing at the road and they got that put out right away after about an acre burned. I could hear batteries exploding! From 6 miles away!

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Tesla caught on fire about 6 miles from me. By the time the fire died the aluminum and glass had melted into the pavement and what was left fit in a skid loader bucket... rest went POOF. Guy driving said he stopped, something under the floor popped then the cabin was on fire. He had to smash the window to get out because the goofy electric door latch failed right away and the door refused to open. It burned for 24 hours... local FD's dumped the little foam they keep on hand then had to wait for more to be delivered from a bigger FD. Batteries cooking off ignited the corn field next to it, lucky the wind was blowing at the road and they got that put out right away after about an acre burned. I could hear batteries exploding! From 6 miles away!
    reminds me of a story in the news about 2 months ago. EV hit a telephone pole and shattered. the batteries were launched from the impact, hit 3 houses and set all three ablaze.

So yes, a tesla pulled off a hat trick.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Those batteries cannot be put out once they are burning. The fumes from a burning lithium battery are extremely toxic, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast