RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Ruger M77 Hawkeye .338 Winchester Magnum initial range report

Ruger M77 Hawkeye .338 Winchester Magnum initial range report

In mid September my brother and I attended a sportsman's club flea market and I bought a like new 2011 built Ruger M77 Hawkeye SS/green laminated stock with a Nikon 4-12x 40 Buckmaster II scope, dies, some factory ammo, a few 200gr. handloads, and a full box of Sierra 215gr bullets. I took the handloads down, chucked the powder and reloaded them the same with my W760 powder according to the original owners recipe. I believe Ruger called this model the, ''Predator'' model, but I'm not sure, just going off what I see on Guns International, SS/green laminated stocked Hawkeyes, (haven't seen a .338WM SS/laminated listed at all).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BBbHhpOl.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	306363

Range report-It went well, the scope was a bit off, four shots to get it where I wanted it and fired a three shot group that went just over an inch. My brother shot another three shot group just a little larger. The load was 69gr W760 under a Hornady 200gr. Spire Point. Recoil isn't bad, I learned after the first shot to hold the fore-end of the stock down or it jumps up about six inches. The excellent stock design combined with the factory installed ''Decelerator'' pad made recoil down right manageable even with my wrecked shoulder, (when I move it, it sounds like a light stick being cracked-without the light benefit). The Sierra 215gr. bullets that came with the gun, I'll use RE-22, with the Speer 225gr. bullets I bought, I think Re-22 or H-4350 may do well. Seems like the .338WM is flexable with many powders.

I wasn't looking to buy a .338 WM, but a beautiful Ruger Hawkeye with scope, dies, ammo, and bullets at what he was asking for it, I couldn't walk away without it. The Hawkeye is such a nice rifle, I kinda regret not buying the .25/06 Hawkeye Varmint another guy had at the ''going'' price without any goodies. Either way, I think the Ruger Hawkeye is one of the best designed and built factory sporting rifles made today, (if I see that .25/06 Hawkeye Varmint again, I think I'll buy it!).
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Grand Master

Nice looking rifle, I love the 338 WM and have three of them. You didn't mention what you paid for it.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    I once owned a classic M77 in 338 WM. Great rifle but just too much gun for the “big game” we have around here. I sold it to a guy who shot longe range metallic silhouettes - he loved it; said the rams always fell if he did his part.

Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Nice looking rifle, I love the 338 WM and have three of them. You didn't mention what you paid for it.
    No, I didn't. It was possibly the best buy I ever made, rifle, scope, ammo, dies, bullets-$950.00 and I couldn't pull the money out fast enough. The fellow selling the .25/06 Hawkeye Varmint rifle wanted $1,250.00 for just the rifle, (also SS/laminated stock).

Boolit Bub

I think ya did good. just the rifle goes for at least that, the predator came with laminated stock in green camo; i think they consider yours grey or pepper. the 77 mkii came with brown or nutmeg and synthetic and the zytel or boatpaddle. i have the boatpaddle,my buddy has the brown laminated, and my brotherinlaw has the 2nd gen synthetic all 338 win mags with sights or the rs model.

Very nice rifle. I have an M77 Mk II in 30-06. Great shooter.

--Wag--
    "Great genius will always encounter fierce opposition from mediocre minds." --Albert Einstein.

Boolit Buddy
    Before anyone else chimes in; try it with cast boolits! Cast loads will make a great deer load, and are easier on your wallet and your shoulder. 7mm mag cases are usually easy to find and will neck up to 338.

For whatever reason my Nikon D750 camera sees the green laminant stock as sort of brown/yellow. It IS green/black laminant when viewing it in person. It bothered me so I took another photo with a D700 and different lens under different lighting...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WvlH7txl.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	306485

gunther, I did look into a mold on Accurate's site, I'm still undecided as to which mold I want to try. I kinda like the 34-201L or 34-247L.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunther View Post
    Before anyone else chimes in; try it with cast boolits! Cast loads will make a great deer load, and are easier on your wallet and your shoulder. 7mm mag cases are usually easy to find and will neck up to 338.
    I agree. Mine loves cast and have acquired two molds, the Lee 220 and an NOE 235 semi point. My rifle won't stabilize the Lee boolit at below 1650 fps but the NOE is stable down to 1450. Both are accurate out to 500 yards and beyond when my old eyes cooperate with the iron sights.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    No, I didn't. It was possibly the best buy I ever made, rifle, scope, ammo, dies, bullets-$950.00 and I couldn't pull the money out fast enough. The fellow selling the .25/06 Hawkeye Varmint rifle wanted $1,250.00 for just the rifle, (also SS/laminated stock).
    That was a deal I couldn't walk away from. Not much in North America you couldn't up or download to take with that rifle.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

This is the third Ruger rifle I've bought at this particular once a year sportsman's flea market. First was a 10/22 a few years ago, $80.00 and in the car. Last year it was an M-77RS in .308, not a great deal, but it's like new so I don't feel too bad about $900.00 and in the car. The Hawkeye was unbelievable at $950 with scope and all the extra goodies, (the guy had a printed sheet of paper listing all the goodies and price with, ''NO HAGGLING!'' in red). I glanced at the rifle and box of goodies while peeling out nine Benjamins and a Grant. As soon as the fellow affirmed he had been paid the proper amount, rifle and box was on their way to the car!

What I was looking for at the meet was a doaner action to build a .338/06 on, I did get a .338, just not quite what I intended. I like it! The M-77 MkII Hawkeye seems a fine rifle, much better than the older M77's, (better than any post 64 Winchester M-70 in my opinion) but I'm not getting rid of my nice M-77RS, it carries well, shoots great, looks amazing, and has iron sights, (which I love).

Another flea market next year, maybe another Ruger M-77...