RepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
PBcastcoWidenersLoad DataLee Precision
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cast with 38-55

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pereira View Post
    Nicely done, I have a Marlin Cowboy in the same caliber that I'll be hunting part time with this season.
    Got a 255 gr cast over some 4198, hoping for some similar results.

Congrats on a great shot.

RP
    I think you will. They just shoot and if you ever recover a bullet I want to know. I'm not pushing anything crazy and I can't keep one in a deer. I'm just melting WWs and rolling them in LLA, I imagine someone who is taking care can do far better...and I'm having success.

Boolit Buddy
    And last but not least, 6.5CM, Mosberg Patriot Revere. 367 yards, 2 shots low chest. 140grn Hornady interlock at about 2800fps.
    Sat up on a hill and called and the fork made came running from about 500 yards out and stopped at a ranged 367 broadside. I shoot at 300 regularly with this gun/load and had a good rest and trusted the reticle as it's held true for me over a lot of shots. Figured 67 more yards wouldn't add too much difficulty. First shot low in the chest and he started looking pretty hard hit. But he looked hard hit broadside so I hit him low in the chest a second time and dropped him. Nothing special, but a typical tall Montana fork mulie. The view was amazing. The 2 mile drag was BRUTAL!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CM MDB 1.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	120.3 KB 
ID:	307359

Name:	CM MDB 2.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	89.6 KB 
ID:	307360

Name:	CM MDB 3.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	307361

Boolit Buddy
    Try hunting in -50F blood freezes before it hits the snow.

Boolit Master
    Sounds like a North Pole Hunt.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
    Try hunting in -50F blood freezes before it hits the snow.
    I've hunted at -6 plus or minus, once it hits -40 here I'm not much for being out. Things go wrong and those temps can kill you.

Boolit Buddy
    In the prairies with windchill and hoar frost it can get brutal. Deer are easy to locate just look for steam coming out of the willows where they are bedded.When you push these patches the deer stand up and look at you as if to say ,"you can't be serious hunting in this weather". On such a hunt a buddy got his first deer with his then new Win 94 Big bore .375 First shot the barrel turned white ,second shot it glazed with ice and the shots sounded like pops no bang.In the tight willows you can actually smell the mulies or elk. For that 2 mile bare ground deer drag get a game cart with wheels or bone it where it dropped.It would be bald dragged that far........i did the same 40 years and three hernias ago.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer2 View Post
    In the prairies with windchill and hoar frost it can get brutal. Deer are easy to locate just look for steam coming out of the willows where they are bedded.When you push these patches the deer stand up and look at you as if to say ,"you can't be serious hunting in this weather". On such a hunt a buddy got his first deer with his then new Win 94 Big bore .375 First shot the barrel turned white ,second shot it glazed with ice and the shots sounded like pops no bang.In the tight willows you can actually smell the mulies or elk. For that 2 mile bare ground deer drag get a game cart with wheels or bone it where it dropped.It would be bald dragged that far........i did the same 40 years and three hernias ago.

Name:	CM MDB 3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	307744
    That was a two mile drag, up and down coolies, some of the places I hunt, a game cart doesn't have enough room to travel. We really were not expecting to get anything or we would have brought backpacks to haul out the meat and head. I've hunted in some cold stuff where the deer had frost on their eyelashes and honestly looked like they were not all that upset with the idea of being shot. I carry a lot of open sighted guns or my AR with an M68 because you can shoot them with the snow flying sideways and caked on your sights (with the M68, you can take it off fast and go to opens or just keep the lens cover on and you can still see the red dot on the deer).

Name:	Amandamuledoe2.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	307745

Boolit Master
    So who is the other killer?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    So who is the other killer?
    My gf Amanda, she got one with her 7mm-08 this year and one with her Winchester 94, 30-30.

Name:	WT9.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	184.9 KB 
ID:	307822

I get nose bleed above 400 ft. Highest point in FL is 345' People start talking about dragging stuff up and down ravines or mountains, makes me nervous. Lived in the White Mountains, until I got a little smarter after the blizzard of 69.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Grand Master
    Did the heart / stroganoff diner - wonderful. Thanks for the recipe, 725

Boolit Master
    Great to have someone to share the hunt with!

Awesome thread, thanks. Have to say it wasn't even on my radar to reload this venerable old round. My son's grandpa gave him his dad's old Marlin, so my boy now has a well-cared for, well-hunted rifle from his great Grandpa, a Yooper of Arcadian stock. I'd thought ammo was a thing of the past on this but I was clearly wrong. Just keeping my eyes out for cases on this. Thanks again and good hunting.
    -Paul

Boolit Grand Master
    huntinlever. -- There are several tutorials on making .38-55 brass out of .30-30 brass. Easy as pie. I have used the converted stuff and it is a might shorter than the real deal. Turns out I prefer the converted .30-30 brass to the proper stuff. Seems my rifle likes it better. I just get a little more accuracy out of it. Either, of course, work just fine. good luck and warm that 'ol girl up!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Did the heart / stroganoff diner - wonderful. Thanks for the recipe, 725
    Glad you enjoyed it, one of my favorites!

Boolit Buddy

Great shooten! Love the cast bullets! Made a mistake last year and loaded lynotype bullets in my 50-70 Sharps. Shot the buck through the chest. Never seemed to bother him. Reloaded and shot him again! He ran about 30 yards and fell over. The bullets were 2" apart. Got no expansion. Dummy me! Now I cast em pure and soft with molly grease and beeswax. Still eatin venison! Great photo!

Boolit Buddy

.375 Winchester brass works great too for loading 38-55 WCF

Vendor Sponsor

I have taken 4 does over the last couple of years with my 38-55. Lee 379-250-rfn cast from air cooled COWW. But only traveling at around 1,400 fps. No boolits yet to be recovered. This on was angling towards me at 75 yards. Shot entered just behind the left shoulder and exited way back in the right side rib cage just enough to not get into the guts. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1670422441-picsay.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	74.2 KB 
ID:	307909

Boolit Buddy
    Recipe #2. Purchase a savory pie crust at your local grocery store, or make your own if inclined (I just buy mine, crust is easy to mess up and lard is a must) Cut up all the calf muscles and any other tough meat into stew meat. Roll meat in a combination of flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper, onion powder, and maybe just a bit of rosemary. Make sure there's a good enough amount of seasoning to coat everything. I generally do 1.5lbs of stew meat, a half cup of flouer, a quarter cup of garlic and onion powder, 2 teaspoons of rosemary and 1 teaspoon of salt and 2 teaspoons of pepper. Put enough oil in a high sided skillet to just cover the bottom, get the oil hot enough to get a glossy surface and add a bit of butter. Brown meat. While meat is browning, chop onions and saute with meat. (I like a cast iron skillet or something that will get a few cooked on bits. Deglaze pan with a half cup of red wine. Reduce heat to a simmer and add stock (either bone broth or water and whatever base you choose (beef, onion, garlic etc). Cut up carrots, turnip, celery, parsnips, potatoes, mushrooms and whatever other firm root veggies you happen to like. Roast in pan with garlic and olive oil till they get a bit of color on them and add to mixture. Simmer all until veggies are just undercooked but tender, you want just a little too much firmness. Add peas/corn now if desired, peas/corn cooks fast and you don't want them mush add salt to taste at this point. If you had enough flour in your mix that the filling naturally thickens add to pie crust and bake till crust is golden brown. If filling is not thick enough, mix flower and alive oil together for a rue and add slowly until thickened. Then add to crust and bake. Serve with your favorite shredded cheese or sour cream on top. Game pot pie. Note, this also works with game birds, squirrel, rabbit etc.

Boolit Master
    That Has to Taste Good! Make Me Drool! ----- Drip!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast