RotoMetals2Load DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cast with 38-55

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    There are many ways to find happiness. A good clean kill is one of them. Congratulations!

Boolit Buddy
    Almost got my WT doe this AM. Sat down and 15 seconds later a WT jumped into the clearing 50 yards away but was facing away from me. I watched it for about 20 seconds then a HUGE female doe crossed the clearing at a full run and the one I was watching followed suit. Had she been facing any other direction than dead away, I would have had another one in the freezer.

Boolit Master

Dang, some people don't see that much game in an entire season!

Good hunting.

What powder were you using, I am making note of 38-55 and 375 Win powders. I am going to use the 250 PCed then sized to groove diameter in a 375 Win 94 xtr. Just have not got to it yet.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapier View Post
    Good hunting.

What powder were you using, I am making note of 38-55 and 375 Win powders. I am going to use the 250 PCed then sized to groove diameter in a 375 Win 94 xtr. Just have not got to it yet.
    I'm shooting 24.0grns of H4198 with a 255grn clip on WW bullet, around 260grns as cast, air cooled. I don't size and tumble in a mixture of LLA and mineral spirits. I don't tend to be too careful on the mix of LLA/spirits when it's looking thick I add spirits, when it's looking thin I add another tube of LLA. I have yet to see any leading, and I have no idea how it performs on game because I've never recovered one.

You doing great happy for you , I got my 2 white tails a doe with a crossbow and a 6 point with a muzzle loader last month. It is nice to see how others makes out with their hunt . Glad for you and your GF . Keep it up .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Buddy
    Well, this morning, the deer were not quite so smart. I sat down in one of my favorite spots, and it being Sat. hunters were driving up and down the roads trying to shoot deer out of their trucks. I have hunted this spot for years and watched deer lay down when a truck hits the cattle grate at the front of the road, and stand up again when they hit the cattle grate leaving. Most hug a large rock face or deep cover and can't be seen from the road. People usually get a fawn or two on one side, and a few mulies on the other (and the deer mostly stay to their side of the road as one side follows a river *white tail* and the other goes to some badlands, I have seen WT venture to the wrong side of the tracks, but never the mulies). After about 930, trucks stopped coming and things were not moving so I decided to go explore instead of sit. I know of a porcupine that lives in a rock crevice that's been there for years and I always say good morning. So I walked over to the cliff and said good morning to my porcupine friend. About 30 yards away was a good sized doe not paying attention to our conversation. She was quartering slightly away and about 30 feet down so I lined up a few ribs back and centered aiming for the heart at a downward angle. The shot broke and she took off. Got down and found blood where I hit her and a decent trail for about 50 yards. Jumped 6 deer on my way to her and noticed none limping so I figured she went down close by. Found her under some trees and on inspection broke 2 ribs going in, hit the onside lung, destroyed the heart and exited the bottom of her chest. 255grn bullet as before in the 38-55 Win High Wall. I may have to bring the 357, that's way too much gun and sight for 30 yard shooting.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WTD3855.1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	180.2 KB 
ID:	306536

Name:	WTD3855.3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	174.3 KB 
ID:	306537

Name:	WTD3855Entrance.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	72.1 KB 
ID:	306538

Name:	WTDHeartshot.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	63.6 KB 
ID:	306539

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
    I'm reading this while enjoying some venison heart stroganoff.
    Clean venison heart, marinade in buttermilk overnight. Dice and roll in salted flower and brown. Use 1/2 cup red wine to deglaze pan and then simmer in beef bone broth for 2 hours. Saute mushrooms and garlic in pan, add to broth and heart mixture, saute onions and garlic and do same. Cook 3 cups egg noodles till tender and add to mix. Thicken the sauce, add sour cream to taste, salt, pepper, garlic , and a touch of rosemary.
    Stole your recipe!! Made my mouth water as I read it.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    Stole your recipe!! Made my mouth water as I read it.
    All good, make sure you use flour not flower :P

Boolit Buddy
    Congrats! Some good eating there..
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Buddy
    Went out with the 6.5CM today. 2 degrees so nothing wanted to move. I was 15 yards from about 20 deer but it was all does and 2 spikes, hoping the rut kicks in soon, if not, I can probably take one at this location with a muzzle loader. 1 degree F out, bit brisk, lol.

Boolit Master
    2-degrees "F" Where are you? The North Pole? OOPS! I almost said something about politicians, I'm Stoned cold conservative, but don't want to offend or start an angry wave. Cold??? Think About It!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    2-degrees "F" Where are you? The North Pole? OOPS! I almost said something about politicians, I'm Stoned cold conservative, but don't want to offend or start an angry wave. Cold??? Think About It!
    Montana, the hunting can get chilly, it's awful here, no one should come here

Name:	Winchester HW.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	57.9 KB 
ID:	306704

Boolit Master
    I think I'll stay in Virginia. Too old to start hard cold trips. But when I was young I would have loved to make the trip! There, Alaska, & Colorado.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    I think I'll stay in Virginia. Too old to start hard cold trips. But when I was young I would have loved to make the trip! There, Alaska, & Colorado.
    I've hunted TX but I would love to hit more states once I retire.

USMC 77, USRA 79

Great hunting!!!! I love it!

All of our meat comes from hunting.. it’s awesome to see others take it to heart. The best food is “fast” food… LOL
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Boolit Grand Master
    congrats on the fine score
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master
    wolfdog - I'm making your stroganoff tomorrow night for dinner. Meat is in the buttermilk & in the fridge.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfdog View Post
    Winchester High Wall, 38-55, 215grn cast, air cooled clip on WW, tumble lubed in LLA/mineral spirits, 1700fps. 160 yards. I hit a bit high anticipating more drop but it put her down.
    Attachment 306353
    Attachment 306354
    Nicely done, I have a Marlin Cowboy in the same caliber that I'll be hunting part time with this season.
    Got a 255 gr cast over some 4198, hoping for some similar results.

Congrats on a great shot.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    wolfdog - I'm making your stroganoff tomorrow night for dinner. Meat is in the buttermilk & in the fridge.
    Let me know how it goes. I've been a cook in the military for 24 years, and cook in my civilian job as well. I'm not great but I'm decent. And if it goes over well I may share more of my recipes. I've got a LOT and I think most of them go over well. I will gladly start recipe threads and pass on stuff if that's something that is wanted.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast