Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners

Thread: H-108 in 410

Boolit Grand Master

H-108 in 410

I was scrolling through old postings and found an oblique reference to using this once cheaply available surplus powder in some sort of load for 410s. I seem to remember a single page green data sheet that may have included this information being included in shipments of H-108.

I’ve located two of those infamous black jugs (in addition to the one I’ve been working out of) but no green data sheet. I’m wondering whether any of my fellow pack rats here still have a copy with the 410 data included. Somebody posted a list of the loads for 357 & 44 Mag, but left this off.

For those who are too young to remember, Hodgdon put this surplus powder up in black plastic jugs containing 6 pounds each. It has very small, nearly spherical grains and measures like water, so I’m thinking it might be very useful for the relatively small charges needed for 410 target loads.

Thanks in advance for any help, and if anyone would be willing to share a green sheet (by hard copy or digital) that would be even better.

Regards,
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    email Hodgdon directly..... sounds like good stuff.... lilgun meters the same way as does win 748 both are great in .410

Boolit Grand Master
    Last time any of us mentioned H-108 to any of the techs at Hodgdon they acted like they’d never heard of it… it was a surplus powder of which they had one very large lot apparently, and after it was gone they seemed to show no interest in anything about it.

By way of background, it was apparently marketed as a benchrest powder among other applications, and some of us in ASSRA did some very good work with it in single shots. I personally used (and still use) it in Charlie Dell’s proprietary 32/357 shell with 185-200 grain cast plain base bullets for benchrest. It was also sold as “Carbine Ball” powder and even had a Winchester designation. Supposedly it was pull down and unused surplus powder made for the M1 Carbine.

It is most like the early lots of Accurate #9 and I have loaded some by starting with data for that powder. Some folks in ASSRA claimed it could be used as a direct replacement. If it sounds like I’m touting it as some sort of super powder to be used for everything, I’m not. But, it is pretty versatile within its range of uses and since it was so cheap when it was available, I bought a bunch that I’d now like to use to good advantage since all powder has gotten so pricey.

Has anyone reading this used it for 410 loads or does anyone still have the green data sheet?

Froggie

Boolit Master
    I bought a 8 pound jug of H108 years ago and started the search for the original manufacturer. By the time I got resolved to have that answered as Accurate #9 I checked to compare the starting and maximum loads for various calibers between H108 data on the jug and Accurate #9 in their published manuals and the data was either identical or close enough to allow for variation due to the slight change of that particular batch of H108. I still have about 2# of that powder and know about another 8# jug close to me that might be available. Think I'll call and ask about it sometime soon.

My strongest memory of this powder was when I first used it in .357 Magnum caliber in a S&W model 28 Highway Patrolman. I loaded the rounds one grain below their maximum charge weight and off to the range I went. The fireball and noise from my first shot made me suspect I had just wrecked the revolver. I opened the cylinder and raised the barrel and the case fell out of the chamber without hitting the ejector rod. I fired the remaining 5 rounds and went home happy that I had loaded only 6 rounds to test.

Boolit Grand Master
    Actually H-108 predates Accurate #9 by at least a decade, but as I stated above, several people I trust did enough testing for me to accept that I can safely use #9 loading data, with a slight reduction, as a starting point for H-108 charges. BTW, Accurate doesn’t make powder, they package and distribute powder made under contract. Look on the cans/jugs and you will see “Made in...” from different countries including Israel, Czech Republic, and IIRC, Australia.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    I found it here;
    https://www.thehighroad.org/index.ph.../h-108.807188/
    There were actually loads for more cartridges than I remembered, including my beloved 32-40 as well as the exact one I wanted 410 in AA hulls. I hadn’t been to this site in a long time, but it had just what I needed. Life is good!
    Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    The above linked post to The High Road (with pics of teh data sheet for H108) was mine.

If anyone wants, I can post it here.

I used a great deal of H108 back when it was available (I think I was paying $50.00 per 8 pound jug).

I used it mainly in 44 magnum and 50 AE (Desert Eagles) and it performed very well.

It was a little slower than H110/296 and provided good velocity and accuracy in my guns.

I've still got about 4 ounces in left in a jug.

Here’s the data sheet I received from Powder Valley when I purchased the powder.

Last edited by ATCDoktor; 11-03-2022 at 08:27 PM. Reason: Pics added

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks ATCDoktor. I hope you didn’t mind me reposting it without attribution, but your name was in your post, so I figured you wouldn’t mind.
    Where are you located? Maybe I could spare a pinch if you really need it and I don’t have to ship. I have about a half full jug I’m working out of and two unopened jugs… the last ones Powder Valley had left. At the time I ordered six and got their last three!
    Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks ATCDoktor. I hope you didn’t mind me reposting it without attribution, but your name was in your post, so I figured you wouldn’t mind.
    I don’t mind at all.

As far as needing any H108 is concerned, I transitioned to WC297 in 2008 as a replacement for the 108 (bought 32 pounds of it from Pats Reloading) back then and I have about 10 pounds of that left.

It works well in applications where 296/H110/H108 can be used (I’ve also used a great deal of 297 in the 300 blackout) and was almost as inexpensive as the H108 back when it was available as Pats paid the shipping and HAZMAT back then.

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks for the additional info ATCDoktor. I wonder though, how do you think H-108 would do in 300 Blackout? I have a 300 BO upper for my basic AR and both ammo and formed brass as well as a set of reloading dies, none of which I’ve used much. That might be another opportunity to use my 2 1/2 jugs. Also, I’ve whomped up a 327 Fed Mag recipe to shoot from my Blackhawk and my custom K frame Smith, so it has a variety of good uses “off the books”. If I can use it for the little bit of 410 bore shotgun and 300 Blackout I load as well as for my favorite fire breathing 327 FMs and my 32/357 wildcats in ASSRA, I may be able to make a pretty good dent in it before I “shuffle off this mortal coil”.

Well, we’ve seen a serious bit of thread drift here, but I grant us dispensation because after all, it was my thread! Thanks to all who have joined in so far and if anyone has any other experiences with H-108 they would like to share, they are hereby invited to do so. Some of us still have enough of it in our powder stashes that in these lean times for reloading supplies thinking outside the box is valuable.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 11-04-2022 at 10:25 AM.

Boolit Master
    Great info as I have a 8 pound jug of H108 still setting on the shelf.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johnly View Post
    Great info as I have a 8 pound jug of H108 still setting on the shelf.
    That was sort of my motivation. I’m about halfway through one of those same jugs and rediscovered the two unopened jugs I salted away over a decade ago. A great aspect of these threads is the spread of inspiration as well as information. Thanks for the affirmation.

Froggie

Boolit Grand Master
    Just to flog the deceased equine a bit more. Has anyone loaded heavy (125+ gr) bullets in 327 FM using this powder or it’s supposed equivalent, Accurate #9? I am itching to take my big Ruger Stainless Eight Shooter out to play.
    Froggie

Boolit Buddy
    H-108 is WC-820 produced by Olin back in the early 70’s for loading in 30 carbine. There were at least 3 lots of it. We used to get it in the 150lb “magazines” as pat mcdonald used to call them. A copper lined wooden keg with sealed lid. Very high quality powder. Some was pull down and other was new. As mentioned it was the same as very early number 9. Not anymore though. Current number 9 is faster.
    Mine is about 10% faster than h1110. Used a lot over the years in 44 mag with 240’s. 21 gr ran them about 1200 from a 6”.

Boolit Master
    Using the data from Hodgdon for the 454, I backed out a burn rate slower than H110 using Quickoad. Pretty close to Shooters World Blackout.

For a given batch of mystery powder, good data (i.e. all the details) for a load will allow use of velocity vs charge to determine other powders that will give the same velocity vs. charge. Then using type (ball vs. stick) and density helps narrow down "similar" powders that can be used for "comparison" load data.