MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: What a difference !

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

What a difference !

Sarcasm to follow which of course spoils the gag but this is supposed to be light and poking a little fun at the impending cabin fever .

I'm having a little trouble with a little trouble with this 454424 HP I made 80 pours , got 78 keepers. Somehow that pile just wasn't as satisfying as 70 pours in the 8 hole H&G #130 that netted 550 . That single also doesn't drain the pot the same way .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Most casters appreciate not having to fill the pot so often.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Don't get done too fast or you might have enough time to do some real work.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master
    It depends on what the intended use for the bullet will be. For my single shot bullets fired from bench rest in competition, it’s always one bullet at a time, kept in order cast and examined at least twice for visible flaws.
    OTOH, revolver bullets come out of a multi cavity mound like shelling seed corn, get a quick once over before sizing and lubing, and I’m good to go with them.
    My Minie Balls and carbine bullets for Civil War skirmishing are singly cast of pure lead, but compared to my schuetzen bullets, not quite the attention to detail is required for these bullets I shoot offhand with BP.
    Like I said, it depends on their intended use.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I’ve not used more than a three cavity mold, mostly two aluminum. Casting 400+ grain boolits, my wrist gets tired within an hour. I can’t imagine if I was casting with a six cavity mold.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I’ve not used more than a three cavity mold, mostly two aluminum. Casting 400+ grain boolits, my wrist gets tired within an hour. I can’t imagine if I was casting with a six cavity mold.
    I have had, and will continue to have "issues", so I invested in a Master Caster. I may never cast a rifle bullet with it, as I would only shoot cast rifle bullets if things got REALLY bad. But for pistol bullets, it works well and a two cavity mold will get 400 or so bullets per hour. A Master Caster is not cheap but it will let you cast bullets a lot easier than manually. Plus, it can be "powered" down the road if need be.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Sarcasm to follow which of course spoils the gag but this is supposed to be light and poking a little fun at the impending cabin fever .

I'm having a little trouble with a little trouble with this 454424 HP I made 80 pours , got 78 keepers. Somehow that pile just wasn't as satisfying as 70 pours in the 8 hole H&G #130 that netted 550 . That single also doesn't drain the pot the same way .
    I think I get bored casting with a one cavity mold. It seems like a lot of work for the amount of projectiles made.

A 2,4, or 6 cavity just seems to work so much easier...
    Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    With me, its not my wrists but my lower back that causes short casting sessions. Doesn't seem to matter how many cavities, nor how big the boolits.

I like to cast standing sitting just seems like asking for trouble, but for the last few years I have been casting using a kitchen step stool as a perch. Kind of between standing and sitting in a chair.

Robert