WidenersLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trail Boss

Boolit Master

Trail Boss

Has it been discontinued?

Boolit Master

I hope not... It's my go-to bunny fart load maker.

It's a niche powder... Since all have been hard to get..its probably just sidelined. Like..when is the last time you saw tin star?

Boolit Master

I think at this point it should be renamed "un-obtanium"

Figures. Something else I came to really enjoy, becomes unavailable. That stuff made the best target loads in 357 cases.

Have a can of clays left. guess I'll be working up new loads again.

ADI announced that it will be back in production some time in 2023. The reason given was that the manufacturing process was being re-engineered.
    I have enough for the 2023 Metallic Silhouette season but not much more than that. I really want to see it back on the shelves. I have an 1894 Winchester in 38-55 that shoots 1.5" 10 shot groups at 100 yards and an 1892 Winchester in 44-40 that shoots 2.5" 10 shot groups at 100 yards with Trailboss . Slow, soft and heavy lead bullets knock over those steel critters with a satisfying whack.
    Trailboss has helped me make master class and bring home some bling. It isn't just for plinking or Cowboy Action ,

You can still buy full bottles for $AU1800

https://usedguns.com.au/gun/464554/
    Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

So, has anyone made a comparative list anywhere for bulky powders like TB? I know that Tin star is supposed to be similar - but that seems to be gone too. Only other one I know of that's bulky is Clays.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by anothernewb View Post
    So, has anyone made a comparative list anywhere for bulky powders like TB? I know that Tin star is supposed to be similar - but that seems to be gone too. Only other one I know of that's bulky is Clays.
    I WANTED to try tin star.. I use trail boss often.. but tin star was never easy to find.. and now.. as with many others.. just gone right now. I have clays.. and bulky yes.. but not like trail boss..TB is the king of bulk...

Boolit Master
    I tried some trail boss with 32S&W Long loads and it was ok. Then I tried it in 45Colt and it really worked just fine to fit in that great big old black powder case. Off the thread a bit, but I was reading some Jeff Cooper this weekend and he said something like the 45Colt case made a pretty fair substitute for a jigger glass.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Quote Originally Posted by Soundguy View Post
    I WANTED to try tin star.. I use trail boss often.. but tin star was never easy to find.. and now.. as with many others.. just gone right now. I have clays.. and bulky yes.. but not like trail boss..TB is the king of bulk...
    I loaded a batch of 500-450 #1's last night, 27 grains. It made a giant sucking sound with every drop. Redding 3BR is the powder measure I use, almost out of adjustment on the measure.

But it does make that rifle shoot well.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeJames View Post
    I tried some trail boss with 32S&W Long loads and it was ok. Then I tried it in 45Colt and it really worked just fine to fit in that great big old black powder case. Off the thread a bit, but I was reading some Jeff Cooper this weekend and he said something like the 45Colt case made a pretty fair substitute for a jigger glass.
    I never had much use for 45 Colt.
    A friend of mine bought a Bond Arms "Cowboy", I thought it was so neat I had to have one.
    Since then, I bought a Uberti "Cattleman" in 45 Colt.
    I bought a "wall hanger" rolling block piece of junk, so I turned it into something that shoots 45 Colt.
    For something I never had much use for, I now have three guns that shoot it.
    Go figure.

Boolit Grand Master

Darn. I have 10lbs of it that I use for light loads. Maybe I should move to Australia!
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Red Dot!!!!

Boolit Master
    I suspect the real reason for the powder drought is the Oz army discovered they were down to their last packet of ammo ,and are starting to get skeered of the Chinese.........so have put in demands for all kinds of military ammo ......the ADI factory is actually owned by the Oz govt,but run by Thales /ADI.......and somewhat subject to the whims of cost cutters ,peaceniks,green gun grabbers,and all the assorted idiots that infest Australian politics.

Boolit Grand Master

I still have a couple of bottles that I bought years ago. I never had much luck with TB as the accuracy could be exceeded with a variety of other powders, and mouse fart loads aren't really my thing.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Buddy
    Middle Tennessee for now. Want to buy land out west, somewhere cool and dry!
    For $1800 the vessel of TrailBoss needs to ship on top of a pallet of XXXX Bitter!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    I loaded a batch of 500-450 #1's last night, 27 grains. It made a giant sucking sound with every drop. Redding 3BR is the powder measure I use, almost out of adjustment on the measure.

But it does make that rifle shoot well.
    Is that load the tin star or the trail boss?

Quote Originally Posted by Shanghai Jack View Post
    Is that load the tin star or the trail boss?
    Trail boss. 25 grains were 2-1/2" and not crossing. Hoping another 2 grains will tighten it up.

Rings the dinger nicely but a little tighter is better.

Boolit is a NOE at about 345 if I remember correctly.

Boolit Master
    Trail boss might return quicker now that Vihtavuori Tin Star Powder N32C has been discontinued and is no longer in active production. That leaves a gap in the high bulk niche powder business.

Then again military powder demands for all the wars both old and new, may over ride consumers demands.

Boolit Master

Yup.. I was surprised to see tin star go. I was just getting ready to try it compared to trail boss.. then poof.. both gone. Glad i have a few 9oz jugs left.. hope it comes back sooner than later... And to think 2 months ago I passed on a keg of it i saw at a show thinking I had enough... oof!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast