Lee PrecisionRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winchester m-70 llightweight

Winchester m-70 llightweight

Saved me some nickles together and finally got the rifle I been desiring for some years. Yep the Winchester model 70 chambered in 270 win.

This rifle is to replace my Grandfathers rifle handed down through my Dad Winchester model 54 with the snazzy snable forend. She finally and sadly enough ... found its way to my house but alas I have a tough time useing like an everyday rifle. I love the style and feel but it holds way too many memories for me.

Long story huh ... brings me to this classy model 70 with its snable forend. Almost stacks up to the old 54 but it has no memories attatched so it will make an everyday target, hunting rifle.

Shoots very well. An under MOA when I do my part. My handloads with imr 4831 Hornaday 140 grain btsp with cci large rifle primers.

NOW here comes the part that kinda buggs me. Loaded Lee 277 boolits that I powdercoated ford blue and excitedly dashed off to the range. Loaded her up to see what kinda cast boolit rifle she was gonna be. Cycled the action and chambered the first round ... bang. Chambered the second round and she delivered the second hole about 3 inch from the first. Went to cycle the third round from the left side of the mag and it stubbed on the right side of the chamber opening.

Cant remember any further accuracy details form my precious cast boolits ... spent awhile trying to figure out why the failure to feed the 3rd round of round nose ammo. Then I tried some 150 grain round nose Hornaday's and the 3rd round failed as well. Spitzers work flawlessly and for hunting this is fine ... but ... my favorite shooting is with our cast boolit missles.

Filed a bit and polished the feed ramp, filed a bit and polished the mag followerer. Helped and now I enjoy shooting my favorite projectiles ... CAST BOOLITS!

She still stubbs sometimes but think I have the workaround figured out. Accuracy with the cast boolits still dismal but it is a work in progress.

Anybody else experience feeding issues with these new manufactured mod 70's?

Boolit Grand Master

Push feed or CRF?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I never had feeding problems with the new retro 90’s Model 70 .270 I had for a while. But I mostly used Loverin boolits and didn’t powder coat.

It functioned well, but certainly wasn’t something to recall Winchester’s legendary pre-war output. You could slip a business card between the floor plate and the trigger plate when it was latched, the checkering looked like termite damage, and the forestock was seriously warped and pressing against the barrel. When I was relieving the wood, I noticed that the “bedding” was a dab of some kind of hardened plastic in the action lug well. Once the barrel was relieved, Jack O’Connor’s comment, “It’s not free-floating; it’s adrift!” came to mind.

After the wood issue was resolved (I did nothing to the “bedding”), it shot like a house afire, cast and jacketed. It followed O’Connor’s observation in shooting most jacketed bullet weights to a pretty close point of impact at “practical” ranges; say, out to 200 yd or so. Cast boolits were sized 0.280” nominally, with the usual light cast loads. I would get one-hole 50 yd groups with (IIRC) 8 gr Unique.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Watching this with interest.

I've owned 3 model 70 featherweights and never had a feeding issue with any of them with any boolit. I still kick myself for letting the 7x57 go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Larry, it is CRF. Just wondering if it has the wrong follower and putting too much pressure on the left side case. I have never seen this configuration on the top of a follower before. It has a lengthwise groove on both sides . The groove on the left has a bit carved out and when I carved this a bit more it seems to help solve the stubbing into the right side of the chamber mouth. What makes me think this is the fourth cartridge seems to load good most of the time and ALL spitzers all the time.

Bent Ramrod sorry to hear bout your model 70 experience. This one is a newest made model and other than the feeding of blunt round nose boolits, is perfect. Great fit and fully floated barrel, great looking sharp checkering beautiful wood and nice tight bedding. The blueing is superb and very impressed with the trigger. Overall this is a very nice specimen of a foreign made model 70.

Fatnhappy. Yep the 7X57 mauser was my second choice as well. Hopfully you can land another.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	16673270018381319013604.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	35.5 KB 
ID:	306359

This is the follower with the two grooves. That left side seems too high to me and seems to shove the round to far to the right. I took approximately 1/16th off the top right there by my thumb and about the same on that front left corner. Also carved just a sliver off the left rounded portion of the feed ramp. Seems to have helped a little so began looking for another follower so I can further carve up this follower to try and cure my round nose feeding issues.

Problem is I cant seem to find another follower that looks like this one.

Other than this minor mystery this made in Portugal Winchester ... says made by Browning and "imported by BACO".
    Any rate she is a beaut and seems to be a keeper.

Name:	16673274612261208455946.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	75.4 KB 
ID:	306360

Name:	16673275334162018504780.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	51.1 KB 
ID:	306361
    Last edited by bigted; 11-01-2022 at 02:51 PM.

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    Yep the 7X57 mauser was my second choice as well. Hopefully you can land another.
    I sure hope so too. If they make another run of them in 7x57 I'll absolutely break out the plastic.

What the featherweight was made for. On top of a large clearcut in the Adirondack mtns.

Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnhappy View Post
    Watching this with interest.

I've owned 3 model 70 featherweights and never had a feeding issue with any of them with any boolit. I still kick myself for letting the 7x57 go.

Me too, a mid-1980's push feed M-70 FWT. Sold it to a good neighbor who loved it more than me after he borrowed it to hunt in Montana where his daughter lives.

I have a 90's built M-70 FWT in .308 I'm going to give my grandson as soon as he moves. I bought a Ruger M-77 RS in .308 last year that I like a lot more than the Winchester M-70 FWT.
    Last edited by Ithaca Gunner; 11-01-2022 at 04:10 PM.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

That is a dandy. Are you sure they do not chamber them in 7X57?

Boolit Master
    never had issues with mine...I did however have issues with a mauser .308 I owned...my work around was round nose on one side of mag and spitzer on the other.....the round nose up the spout/in chamber was the first down the barrel and the one that counted.

Quote Originally Posted by bigted View Post
    That is a dandy. Are you sure they do not chamber them in 7X57?
    No 7x57.....

https://www.winchesterguns.com/produ...herweight.html
    Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master
    My favorite rifle platform is the model 70 Winchester
    I own a few of them a 220 Swift current production featherweight, a featherweight compact in 358 Win, a supergrade in 35 Whelen and a model 70 featherweight in 280 a.i.
    the only problem i ran into with any of them is the current production Super grade had a shorter firing pin in it and was not going bang all the time
    I did have feeding issue's with the 220 swift because I converted an new 22-250 and had to make a new magazine box and install a different follower but that is because the follower is not going all the way to the bottom of the mag without binding, a work in progress
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Man
    I had a feather weight in 30-06 bought new in 2008, very nice rifle with a serious problem. Shots 1-3 would group well, 4 would be an inch left, 5 would be two or three inches
    left of that. As the barrel warmed the poi would drift further. Let it cool for an hour and poi would return to normal. I sent that one down the road.

Boolit Master
    I have an M70 in 270 Win. I ran into chambering issues when I powder coated, but regular lubesizing with the Star and Blue Carnuba lube has no problems. Load with 10 grains of Red Dot. It’s the RCBS 270 150 Boolits. Usually shoots an inch or two at 100 yards depending on me. I’ve loaded it with W748 powder at around 2000fps but prefer the Red Dot load.

All great info. I will look for the RCBS mold.

So is my follower like others followers? Also does anybody have a hint concerning finding another follower that I can experiment with?

Thanks for all the reply's. I also like my Ruger 77 in 25-06. It shoots very well.

Boolit Grand Master
    bigoted, I'd try Brownell's

Boolit Grand Master

The left feed rail and that follower are not releasing the cartridge rim soon enough to slip up under the extractor. That causes the cartridge to get too far kitty wampus before the bullet enters the chamber and or feeding cone of the M70. I'd get a follower of regular design and try that. The followers are available from Brownell's, Midway and other parts places.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    bigted. spell-correct got me. my last entry is not what I typed. 725

Boolit Master
    Going off memory, my follower does not look like that. I do have a blind magazine, don’t know if that makes a difference. If you’d like, just say on here and I’ll take mine apart and post pics.

725, lol not to worry my friend. I didnt even notice till you mentioned it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast