RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
WidenersRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Titan Reloading

Thread: 30 Badger

Boolit Mold

30 Badger

Ok. There are some post about the 30 Badger. I really like the idea of this cartridge. Is there anyone that has a reamer for it, that would cut a chamber for me? My normal gunsmiths don't have it.

Other option is a true rimed 300 BO from 357 Max. However finding 357 Max brass has been fruitless for me.

Welcome to thoughts.

MGM has the Badger reamer for their Encore and Contender barrels. The original reamers were made by Manson in Grand Blanc, Michigan.

Boolit Buddy

The 30 badger is based on the 38 special necked down to 30 cal.
    Ask you gunsmith if he could ream a barrel with a 300 BO reamer and just go to the depth of the Badger and cut a base for the rim. Then take a set of 300 BO dies and cut the corresponding amount of length off the dies to match the reamer depth on the barrel

360 Dan Wesson brass run thru a 300 BO die gives you a nice cartridge with a little longer neck than the BO.

Boolit Grand Master
    What will it do that cannot be achieved with a .32 H&R or .327?

Seems a lot easier to reload straight walled cases with carbide dies.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    What will it do that cannot be achieved with a .32 H&R or .327?

Seems a lot easier to reload straight walled cases with carbide dies.
    This. Yeah, the bullet selection is going be a little different, but the chances are good that you're going to find bullets more appropriate for your mild velocity range in the 0.312 size, or whatever it is that fits in the 327.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by txtrout75218 View Post
    Ok. There are some post about the 30 Badger. I really like the idea of this cartridge. Is there anyone that has a reamer for it, that would cut a chamber for me? My normal gunsmiths don't have it.

Other option is a true rimed 300 BO from 357 Max. However finding 357 Max brass has been fruitless for me.

Welcome to thoughts.
    If you backorder .357 Maxx from Starline, it will ship within a week or two.
    https://www.starlinebrass.com/357-maximum

Moderator Emeritus

The advantage of the Badger is that it uses commonly available 38 special brass and a 30 Mauser die set. Run the brass through the die and you're good to go. It is generally a single shot from a contender so it has a rifle length bbl. Case capacity is 0.1 gr less than 32-20. You can watch the bullet all the way to the target if just shooting 1 1/2 gr BE or load up a 125 gr bullet to 1500 fps. Case life seems to be forever if you stay away from canellured brass. No one wants to chamber a 327 F in a contender bbl, and a 32 H&R has been difficult to find in anything other than a pistol length bbl. Changing to mag or max brass could cut efficiency.

It is an amazing small game cartridge, teaching tool and has accounted for a couple of deer that I know of. Most were chambered with stubbed barrels from 30 caliber take off barrels on an unused contender bbl. It isn't for everyone, one could argue that a 30-30 is much more versatile. It is however due to case volume, one of the most efficient cartridges I have ever shot. The Lee 113 fp seems to be the shortest bullet with accuracy potential. The 32 RCBS swc pistol bullet is just on the edge. I have seen groups shot with a 180 gr bullet that seemed to be the top weight for twist and velocity.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the comments.

Background is that I have several donor barrels that could become stubbed into one of several H&Rs I have. While I have a 32-20/32 S&W Long project rook rifle in play at the moment, I like the thought of the cheaper and tougher brass for the 30 Badger concept from 38 Special brass for a bit more "ump" if wanted.

I had actually started down the path of building a 327 Federal Mag, and still plan to do that. I've just decided that perhaps I need a Wildcat in the house. I also have a lot of 38 Special brass that could be used.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by txtrout75218 View Post
    Thanks for the comments.

Background is that I have several donor barrels that could become stubbed into one of several H&Rs I have. While I have a 32-20/32 S&W Long project rook rifle in play at the moment, I like the thought of the cheaper and tougher brass for the 30 Badger concept from 38 Special brass for a bit more "ump" if wanted.

I had actually started down the path of building a 327 Federal Mag, and still plan to do that. I've just decided that perhaps I need a Wildcat in the house. I also have a lot of 38 Special brass that could be used.
    I looked at doing this a few years ago and communicated with the gentleman that developed the Badger. Like you, I had thousands of .38 Spl cases and thought the .30 Badger was "neat". Back then, primers were $20/k and a "cheap" little CF plinker I could shoot at the cost of .22 LR looked attractive.

But reality quashed my desire. There was nothing cheap about doing the project in my case. I did not have an action or donor barrel. I would have to pay a gunsmith to do the work...more $$$. Reloading it was going to be "dumb" when a straight wall case option offered the ease of carbide dies that were very affordable.

I started looking for a baby rolling block in .357, but in the end could not justify even getting that. What would it do that my 1894's shooting .38 spl's could not do?

There is something "cute" and unique about the Badger though.

I have the same opinion of most wildcats....not worth doing. But for many folks, economics is not important.

Good luck on your project!!
    Don Verna

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    Some people are just "pushers" or enablers of addictive things . One of these people let me use his badger and that was it , I caved . Probably because I have a deep fondness for the .32 WCF and I've never had a wildcat .

I had lots of cases , just needed dies and a rifle . The dies were easy and the rifle wasn't hard .

The rifle has used bullets from 110 grains up to 190 and powder from Bullseye to DuPont 4227 .

For whatever reason , the rifle gets used more than most of my .35 caliber firearms .

If you have an easy source of cases for the .32 I'm sure that would be fun and I can see the benefits . The same goes for .38 and .357 . Maybe it's a matter of how cheap do you want the project to be ?

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Mold
    I found "pushers/enablers" a great thought!

I'll keep everyone's thoughts in mind as I further consider this. I should focus on the other current projects I have and actually get one finished out!

As for "wildcats" I'm first going to check a couple of 22 Hornet chambers to see if they are good candidates for a 22 K Hornet conversion.

Boolit Master
    You can use a 357 mag case
    Badgers bigger brother.

Boolit Grand Master
    Mr. Stanley made a good point. What matters is what is fun for YOU!

We can quibble about economics, ease of reloading, and ballistics all day and it does not matter unless you are a "bean counter". BTW, even though I am an engineer, I tend more to the "bean counter" mentality of evaluating stuff like this. My "drivers" are cost and simplicity when it comes to plinking and shooting targets. For killing things, effectiveness and reliability are the drivers.

My point is, do what turns your crank. But understand why you are doing it. Justifying something like this to shoot inexpensively (which was one of the drivers for the person who developed the .30 Badger) is delusional. Doing it for "fun" makes sense.

Enjoy your journey!
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master
    I went the maximum route. Neck down 357max with the 30 luger dies. After shooting, can size the body with a 357 mag die and I use a cut down 30-30 die for the neck and shoulder. Neck length is like the 30-30 and the case body is 357 mag. length. I designed the case for the Coors Scheutzenfest (sp) but it was discontinued before I could make it there again. I did shoot it in IHMSA.
    I have run a 357max. case in a 300 BO die and if I did it again, I think that is the way I would go. Just run the BO reamer in .200" deeper and cut for the max. rim.
    Would love a contender rifle barrel in 327 Fed. Carbide dies then!!

Boolit Mold
    Rockrat78,

The last option you put out on running a 300 BO deeper is a good thought. I had considered taking a CVA Scout in 300 BO and making it into a 300 BO rimmed, but never though about just using a Max case and cutting a deeper chamber. Duh!

I'll eventually get the 327 Fed Mag going... I'm having work done on a HMZ Model 21 Martini action at the moment so I can shoot it.

If you use a 7.62x40 Wilson Tactical reamer and headspace gauge to chamber it you can then use off the shelf WT dies and save yourself some hassle. Put a rim cut in the barrel and with the correct extractor you can use either 357 Max brass or reformed .223 brass.

Boolit Grand Master
    You could just use a 30 Apache reamer (30-223) and go with 223 brass if you don't need a rim, or take the 30 apache reamer and run it in 0.090" deeper and use 204 Ruger brass. All depends on what reamers are available. Nobade has a good idea also

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the thoughts guys!