Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle questions

Rifle questions

I live on a farm that we hunt here in Queenstown, Maryland. I have been hunting for about 6 years now. I typically use my bow or my single shot Westernfield shotgun firing slugs from a smooth barrel. In 2019 my state passed the Straight Wall cartridges and I have wanted to get a rifle but never dropped the ball on the idea. Three days ago a local waterman and friend of mine asked me for help working on his father's truck. I fixed it up and they asked me if I could take a look at an old boat of theirs. My friend knew I have been wanting a rifle and his father worked out a deal with me. He has a bunch of rifles he can't use anymore due to a retina surgery where his doctor said high recoil firearms will damage your eye. Those rifle are a 1902 Savage 99A in .38-55 Winchester, a 1901 Savage 99 A in .32-40 Winchester both have 5 round capacity and 26" barrels which he was adamant at pointing out. They both are in a patina condition as most of the finish is gone. He also has five other rifles those are a Model 1860 Spencer Carbine that his father converted to centerfire in the 1940s in 56-50 Spencer he still has the rimfire parts. It has a 22" barrel and 7 round magazine. It too has a patina finish. The next two rifles are a Springfield Trapdoor 1878 and a Winchester 1892 made in 1912 in .44-40, the Springfield is in .45-70 he also has a Winchester 94 in .45 colt made in the late 80s early 90s, a Marlin 94 in .45 colt and lastly he has a 1908 Winchester re chambered in .30 Carbine. My question is which of these rifles can be written off as useless for deer hunting in terms of the rifle, its caliber and its hunting ability. Each rifle (except the Savage in .32-40) comes with reloading dies, 100 brass cases and whatever ammo he already has loaded. With all this being said which rifles should I steer clear of ? Which rifles should I not pass up on based on their rarity ? Which rifles are best for deer hunting? Lastly, which rifle should I ask for first ? I can ask for two and then I have to buy anymore that I fancy but they have all been appraised and have some pretty high values. The Savage .38-55 is valued at $1900, the Savage .32-40 is valued at $1500, the Trapdoor is valued at $1300, the Spencer is valued at $2000, the Winchester .44-40 is $1100, the Winchester .45 Colt is $900, the Marlin 94 .45 Colt is $1000 and the Winchester .30 Carbine is $1200. However I am not looking for money value more so hunting value and rarity. Thanks to all who reply I have no knowledge of any of these rifles besides the Winchesters as they were in the Cowboy movies lol.

EDIT: I asked that he have the bores looked at by a local gun smith and the Gunsmith said that none of the bores should be in that good of condition. He did however say that the .32-40 had the worst looking bore out of them all although he said he would give it a 6/10. The .30 Carbine had the second worst bore followed by the .44-40, the .45-70, the .56-50 and the .38-55 he said both .45 Colt rifles had the best bores.

EDIT #2: The .30 Carbine rifle has been turned down as the ballistics are poor and so is the rifle's bore. The .32-40 Savage only has 24 rounds of ammunition, no dies and no brass. I cant find any available online.
    Rifles that are left are the Savage 99s in 38-55 & 32-40, Trapdoor, Original Spencer Carbine Model 1860, Winchester in .44-40 and .45LC and the Marlin in .45LC

EDIT #3: I have now passed on the .30 carbine, the .32-40, the Winchester .45LC and the .44-40 as it isnt a straightwall and cant legally be used.
    Now it is down to the Spencer, .38-55 Savage, Trapdoor and Marlin .45LC.
    Last edited by EastoftheBay; 10-30-2022 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Additional Info added

Boolit Master

The 38-55 or 32-40 would be nice for deer. I would look at the bore and see what the rifling looks like. Most of these old rifles have been shot with black powder and the bore may be not useable.

My choice would be one of the Savages I think, but all would work for deer hunting.

DG

I had him have the bores checked out. Thank you for pointing that out. I forgot to add that to the post. All rifles also fire and function correctly.

Boolit Buddy

The 38-55 or 45-70 will work well for deer. In Ohio the bore must be .357 or larger in a straight wall case. The 32-40 does not qualify here for deer.
    Good luck and enjoy
    Jim

Galena Guru

One thing you need to check on the straight wall cartridges for your state is the length allowed , if there is one , like my 458 Lott is a straight wall but is not legal in many if not all of those straight wall states laws the way i read them anyways , fortunately we dont have that issue here .. I'd jump all over the 38-55 and 32-40 , I had a 32-40 94 Winchester from 1907 that was lost in a house fire and it's sweet ..
    Schamankungulo

Matt. 5:14-16

GMCS USN ret.

Galena Guru

I'd actually jump all over all of them ..
    Schamankungulo

GMCS USN ret.

Myself, the 38-55 would be my first choice, followed by the 45 colts.
    Then the 44-40 just for nostalgia.
    But I already load for the first two.
    And I have a pair of 444's so I don't give a hoot about the ole 45/70 everyone seems to be so Krazy about these days.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Agree with the above. The only one I would hesitate using(at least on our size whitetail in NYS) is the 30 carbine.

Update to the thread, I have told my friend'a father that I do not want the .30 Carbine as from what I've seen its a pathetic round and the bore isnt any good. I can't find .32-40 Brass anywhere and my friend's father has none of it only 24 rounds of ammunition.

The ones left are the easiest to find brass & boolits for.
    And like I said above would be my First choices.

Good luck.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Galena Guru

You can use 30-30 brass fire formed and sized and I know of some who use 38-55 for the 32-40
    Schamankungulo

GMCS USN ret.

Boolit Mold
    .32-40 has no new available brass and its barely made in limited runs. You will have to form the brass yourself. Do yourself a favor and turn down both the .30 Carbine and the .32-40. I dont think most people are fully reading and understanding your post. The .32-40 is too expensive to just casually reload for deer hunting and .30 Carbine is inadequate. The Trapdoor Springfield is a good candidate but they are everywhere so don't work about not getting it. The Marlin and Winchester .45 LC rifles have no "Rarity" or imo value over the others. So to actually answer your question instead of suggesting rifles, is for you to go with the Spencer, the .38-55 Savage, the .44-40 or the .45-70. The Spencer centerfire conversion blocks are out of stock with no production in sight. The 56-50 is a deer slayer out to about 150 yards. The .44-40 is good out to 100 maybe more. The .45-70 is good for about 300 yards. The .45 LC are good until 75 or 100 yards. If I were you I would do the Spencer and the Savage in .38-55 and then buy the .44-40. I would let him keep the rest. In no way is a Trapdoor worth $1300. Get the Spencer and Savage in .38-55 and buy the .44-40. Leave the rest for him to sell cause they are not worth it. Others may disagree, but I suggest the Spencer first then the .38-55 and then the .44-40.

Update to the thread, I see that .32-40 isnt worth the time and money invested into forming brass. I also see that Trapdoor Springfields arent worth what he is asking so I am going to weigh the decision of turning down two more rifles thank you all for your suggestions and feedback.

If I understand you correct you need a strait walled cartridge to be legal to deer hunt with. If that’s the case l would want either the Savage 99 in 38-55 or the Marlin 94 ( 1894 ) in 45 Colt.
    The Savage 99 is a valuable rifle and you wouldn’t want to drill and tap holes in it to mount a scope as it ruins the collector value. The Marlin 1894 is a good choice as they are pre drilled and tapped for a scope mount or work fine with iron sights. The 45 Colt out of the rifle is a good 125 yard cartridge and the Marlin can use higher pressure ammo .

Jedman

Boolit Master

Savage 99 in 38-55 all the way. james

Boolit Grand Master
    +1 w/ TNsaliorman. .38-55 is a fine hunter and the gun platform you indicate is a treasure. .32-40 while an accurate cartridge is weaker than the .38-55. Brass for the .38-55 is easily made from .30-30 brass. Any useable .45-70 is good for deer and bear. A Marlin in .45 Colt is another fine combo. Can't go wrong with any of those. The carbine is too light, even though it's a fun cartridge. The .44-40 won't qualify as a straight wall. Nice dilemma!

Boolit Buddy
    The Marlin .45 Colt is what I’d pick

The Marlin or the Trapdoor seem to be the only two options if you are limited to straight wall cases like you said.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The Savage 99 in 38-55 isn't really a decision to make even .

Personally I would pass on the Spencer also .
    The 32-40 probably also .
    The 44-40 and 45 Colts would be on my list of midnight oil to get the boat going bonuses .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast