RepackboxLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Basic Marksmanship Question

I’m thankful for my place to shoot so I like to share with those that need a better place.

On a static range, sadly their ain’t many options. Maybe something like this https://www.google.com/shopping/prod...SKeCaAQgTYIyxk

Double or even triple would make it more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Bohannon View Post
    Mint,
    I have have been shooting for 50 years with modest success in a few of the Gun disciplines , military as well. Nothing in those 50 years taught more about being accurate with your chosen firearm than a weekend at a Appleseed event .
    You will learn more about shooting in a weekend than any other weekend in your life. A most worth while and challenging experience .
    I absolutely love challenges. I have actually heard a little about this but not much. Is what you learn mostly from talking to people and getting tips, or can you go more into specifics?

EDIT: I started reading about it, holy **** this looks really cool. There are 2 events about 300 miles away within the next 2 months
    Last edited by Mint; 10-29-2022 at 09:38 PM.

Boolit Master
    Lots of good info in the posts above.

One thing not mentioned is that you may benefit from a one-on-one class from a GOOD instructor.

As a firearm instructor,, I get to see a lot of people who have incorrect methods of HOW they shoot. And if you get proper instruction you can work on developing the skills to become a better shooter.
    Of course, if you need glasses, or even an eye exam etc to make sure you are seeing the things you are supposed to see, by all means, do so. When I got old enough to where my eyes started letting me know I was not 21 years young & bulletproof anymore,, I had to get glasses. One thing I did was work with my eye doctor to get a pair of proper, prescription glasses just for shooting open sights.

But there are many variables in shooting,, and even different things for different types of firearms. But the basics are the fundamentals necessary to become a better shooter.

Besides,, it's easier to develop correct skills first,, instead of trying to correct a bad skill that has become a motor memory skill.

Boolit Grand Master

The fastest way to improve it with formal competition that is based on accuracy with better shooters. Being a medium sized or even large fish is a small pond is very limiting. When I was younger I was big fish in a small pond. I thought I was very good until I went up against truly big fish (national title holders). It didn't take me long to figure out in the big pond I was truly a small fish. Thats when the real learning and improvement started.

If you shoot NRA Highpower around major metro areas every couple of years the LE SWAT members show up talking smack and in a couple of cases, they even apologized for the can of whopping they were going to unleash on us. Unless they had a competitive HS or College level small bore background they always finished at the very bottom. Most were one and done never to be seen again. A couple stuck with it and got to be very good.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I have tried plastic and poly lenses. Poly gives a larger field of vision and works fine for me. Plastic, I couldn’t see the sights. I have moderate astigmatism.

One thing that helps learn to shoot, is handling and dry firing your gun often. Many people only take their gun out when going shooting. So they really ain’t comfortable with it. If you handle it several times a week to daily, it becomes something more comfortable and you’re likely to do better.

Instruction is a good idea. I have taught myself. I relearned some things as I learned better techniques. I’m a fine offhand rifle shot close range. But I can’t shoot long range for beans. But I don’t like long range either. I like handguns and short range rifle and shotgun. So finding what ya like is a good thing. I tried tactical stuff, ARs and AKs, and it just ain’t for me.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    So what do you want to do? You can continue to make holes if it satisfies you. You can get glasses just for shooting that puts your front and rear sights in focus with a slightly fuzzy target.
    I'd start there.
    A normal human eyeball can resolve an object of about 4" at 100 yards and I shot well at that distance with iron sights many years ago: a 12" bullseye was easy to hit.
    A rear aperture with a front globe will help but if your vision isn't good there's only so much you can do.
    Warning: I know Judo. If you force me to prove it I'll shoot you.

Boolit Grand Master

Let me give you a couple of things to think about. 1) By using leverguns you are limiting your potential accuracy. This is not bad, just know what to expect from your instrument. 2) Definitely get your eyes checked. I had extreme near sightedness and astigmitism and went to scopes on my rifles. It was amazing the difference it made when I could see my target! Now I could look at how solidly or less solidly I was holding the rifle. 3) Consider the reason you are shooting - if hunting deer is your goal hand up a 10" paper plate. If you can routinely keep all your shots on that target you are good to go - that is the size of the kill area on a typical deer. Be aware that your vision handicaps you in hunting as well - I would walk in the woods with my Dad or my best friend - they would point out deer and I would see nothing - even with glasses and corrected vision.

You mention not wanting to spoil the line of your rifles - this suggests you have a more romantic view of them than purely practical. If you were purely practical you would put scopes on them or get a rifle with a scope on it!
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

I absolutely love challenges. I have actually heard a little about this but not much. Is what you learn mostly from talking to people and getting tips, or can you go more into specifics?

EDIT: I started reading about it, holy **** this looks really cool. There are 2 events about 300 miles away within the next 2 months
    Mint,

The initial event is done with .22 rimfire at 50 yards prone position , all stages are timed and targets vary. You will be instructed on how to find your natural point of aim and make corrections for each position,prone,sitting and standing. I did it with my CZ 452 American bolt action as I really would like their Rifleman badge to go on their high power events,very few people do it with bolt action rifles. You will be doing magazine changes as well for all targets and positions. The vast majority of shooters use tricked out 10-22’s you will need several magazine for your rifle. You will be tired at the end of each day and satisfied you are making progress and learning what you don’t know. The best part for me was having a expert look at you in each position and being corrected until you master the position .
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 10-30-2022 at 09:30 AM.

Boolit Master

I second what Randy said. My son and I went. I learned a few things, and had a good time burning powder with my son.
    The history lessons between strings of fire where also good.

A few things this thread has made me decide to do

1. I got a CZ 457 Varmint and a scope. I had been researching this gun actually for awhile but never pulled trigger. I decided if I am to practice accuracy I shouldn't be limiting myself with leverguns which are not the most accurate. I'll get some match grade ammunitions to test when the rifle gets here.

2. I made an eye appointment, or will, when they open tomrrow

3. I looked up appleseed events near me, the closest is 6 hours away in 5 days (too soon), 12 hours away in 1 month (maybe). I'm hoping there are ones each month though and 2023 will have some close

This suggests you have a more romantic view of them than purely practical.
    Very excellent observation, this is true for a lot of things I do. I'm extremely tactile person, and gain a lot of pleasure through sight/touch. Things I don't care deeply about or only see as "tools" I generally don't care about at all. The weight, heft, curves, metal, balance, sound of the action, sensory experience... it is like preferring a manual transmission over automatic.

All that aside, when I do hobbies, I still have the highest purpose of getting better, so while what you point out is there it doesn't inhibit progress. It's very hard for me to do something and not simultaneously want to master it. Many people paint to let emotions out, or play guitar to relax, whereas what drives me to do those things is to master them. These present gotchas aside, shooting is the same way.

I read the book "cast bullet handbook" as well as "lever guns of the old west." The author seems to have hints of the same. I also see replies on here (@Bazoo) where he doesn't want to kill the vibe of his 30-30. So I am grateful there are other people out there that are similar so I'm not the only one who's kookoo.

very few people do it with bolt action rifles
    Ah... yeah. Before I bought this bolt action CZ I read about that, but I figure with the price of a ruger 10/22 I can either go more than once, or buy an automatic right before I go.
    Last edited by Mint; 10-30-2022 at 11:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by contender1 View Post
    Lots of good info in the posts above.

One thing not mentioned is that you may benefit from a one-on-one class from a GOOD instructor.

As a firearm instructor,, I get to see a lot of people who have incorrect methods of HOW they shoot. And if you get proper instruction you can work on developing the skills to become a better shooter.
    Of course, if you need glasses, or even an eye exam etc to make sure you are seeing the things you are supposed to see, by all means, do so. When I got old enough to where my eyes started letting me know I was not 21 years young & bulletproof anymore,, I had to get glasses. One thing I did was work with my eye doctor to get a pair of proper, prescription glasses just for shooting open sights.

But there are many variables in shooting,, and even different things for different types of firearms. But the basics are the fundamentals necessary to become a better shooter.

Besides,, it's easier to develop correct skills first,, instead of trying to correct a bad skill that has become a motor memory skill.
    Can you let me know what to specifically ask for regarding "shooting glasses"? What constitutes as that, and what type of glasses are they (in optometrist terms)?

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    If you shoot NRA Highpower around major metro areas every couple of years the LE SWAT members show up talking smack and in a couple of cases, they even apologized for the can of whopping they were going to unleash on us. Unless they had a competitive HS or College level small bore background they always finished at the very bottom. Most were one and done never to be seen again. A couple stuck with it and got to be very good.
    This made me had a great laugh, thanks.

Yes I would love (experienced) training. Around my area I think it's very sparse, but if I drive some hours I can definitely get to more populated areas like those Appleseed events. I'm absolutely going to do that.

Boolit Master

I don't suppose you could us your location? A member might be close by to assist.
    Lead Forever!

The 2nd amendment was never intended to allow private citizens to 'keep and bear arms.' If it had, there would have been wording such as 'the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. -Ken Konecki, July 27, 1992

John Galt was here.

"Politics is the art of postponing an answer until it is no longer relevant". (From the movie 'Red Tails')

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodman14 View Post
    I don't suppose you could us your location? A member might be close by to assist.
    I'm in northern California

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    Can you let me know what to specifically ask for regarding "shooting glasses"? What constitutes as that, and what type of glasses are they (in optometrist terms)?
    It's the focus distance to the front sight and the optical center ground to where you look through the glasses. Depending on the prescription that may require a different set for handgun verse rifle/shotgun. The best ophthalmologist/optometrist let you bring the firearm in and locate optical center in your shooting position. Have you confirmed which eye is dominate?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    It's the focus distance to the front sight and the optical center ground to where you look through the glasses. Depending on the prescription that may require a different set for handgun verse rifle/shotgun. The best ophthalmologist/optometrist let you bring the firearm in and locate optical center in your shooting position. Have you confirmed which eye is dominate?
    Man, now this is a good question... Thank you for reminding me, maybe you can help me with this.

I've read about this about 20 times, but it's still unclear to me WHAT actually happens if I use my non-dominant eye. This makes me think maybe I'm one of those few people that can use both eyes.

Basically I'm right handed, and when I do all the tests (move hole shape to an eye and see where it naturally goes, etc) it always goes to my left eye, so by this definition I am cross-eye dominant.

From my understanding, if I use my right eye (which is what I do), and I'm using a rifle, then I need to close my left eye to get my sight picture before opening it.

Now given everything I read, I keep seeing that if I leave both eyes open and use my right (non-dominant) eye, then it's going to give me inaccurate results. But from my experience, if I do the INVERSE... I bring the sight up to my right eye with both eyes open, and then close my left eye, would I NOT see the sight picture "shift" to the accurate version? Because it doesn't move or change at all. I see the exact same sight picture. SO... if going the opposite direction produces no change, then how is going the other direction (closing eye dominant, getting picture, opening eye) going to produce different results?

What am I actually "fixing" when I close my left eye?

Boolit Grand Master

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

I choose to limit my practical shooting to aesthetics of the gun. I shoot better with a scope. Bolt actions and pointy bullets are better in most cases. I prefer iron sights, and mediocre ballistics. I also don’t care for aperture sights so I don’t use them either. It isn’t the sight I don’t care for, it’s they way they look in the gun. A skinner peep sight on a marlin looks fine to me and I’d use it.

Now there are folks that say performance, or accuracy is all that matters. That’s fine for them. Let them have all black and plastic guns with red dots. Rubber grips on single actions. Whatever. Aesthetics and feel are important to me. If it was only about performance we would all have bolt guns in 30-06 with scopes.

I am however the exception I think.

Boolit Master
    I was on the college varsity ROTC rifle team 52 years ago for two years. We had a feller on the team who shot right handed but was left eye dominant. He did fine by closing his left eye, but finally the Sergeant taped a card over his shooting glasses on the left side. If your right eye is not dominant but you can see clearly out of it; you should be fine by closing your left eye.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    All of the above............ Get a handle on the dominate eye thing. Either shoot with the off-hand (it can be done) or close the eye. Shooting off a rest is a skill all it's own. Not knowing or seeing your set up, let me just say that a rifle can jump by the forces of recoil enough to mess up your shot. Hold the forearm with your hand and rest your hand against your rest. Try and get a good purchase on the shoulder so it doesn't move while you are shooting. Also, many of us have "dry eye" and don't know it. Some eye moisturizer or anti-histamine eye drops clear a lot of stuff up. (I used to keep eye wash in my sniper case - You just never know what conditions will be when deployed.). Good luck.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast