Thread: Another Ruger

Boolit Buddy

Smile Another Ruger

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D83EE58F-3C57-4DD8-B45E-0E6C0CEF1B52.jpeg 
Views:	131 
Size:	99.9 KB 
ID:	306235
    Just picked up from layaway this morning. Cylinder throats measure .431. I believe .430 boolits would work fine, haven’t slugged the barrel yet.
    Retired: school of hard knocks
    NRA Lifer

Moderator Emeritus

Beautiful...have a tendency to be very accurate!
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

I have a Super Blackhawk just like yours. Extremely accurate.

Boolit Grand Master

One of the first revolvers I ever bought for myself about 46 years ago. It shot great after I lapped out the "Thread Choke" near the forcing cone.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Vendor Sponsor

As long as you got about the same amount of drag fit on a boolit in each throat, might be good to go. A lot of the 70s and 80s SBH cylinders have 3 "pairs" of throats varying in size, it's the way Ruger bored them back then, quite the norm for those periods of production.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

Those tend to be very good shooters.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Nice! I got mine as a wedding present form my wife back in 1974. Very early New Model.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

Beautiful revolver!

With full-house mag loads, that dragoon trigger-guard can sometimes slap my 3rd finger. I would wrap a couple of band-aids around my finger when shooting 50 or more rounds, kinda' like a hill-billy recoil pad for my knuckle!
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    I have often considered a spot heat on that dragoon trigger guard and quickly slipping it over an iron bar and reshaping that sharp right angle bend
    into a round pleasing bend using a couple taps with a hammer.
    Bloody knuckle begone.
    Of course disassembly required firstly.
    It may look funny, but so does a bloody knuckle and it hurts especially in cold weather shooting.
    Any takers tried this yet.
    I can't be the only one thinking this.
    Mine is the stainless 7 1/2 inch model.
    The screw holding the ejector housing snapped the first time I fired it.
    So it went right back to Ruger for repair.
    Shoots very fine since with factory loads, except for that knuckle banging dragoon trigger guard.
    I would shoot it more if it weren't for that I think.
    Ruger probably would balk at repairing the gun if the trigger guard were reshaped saying the heating made the barrel screw brittle.
    I'm 76 now.Got it when I was in late 20's.
    Still enjoy shooting ,casting and reloading.
    I favor the lighter loads over the planet wrecker loads I used to shoot.
    Pretty much every shape bullet- round nose, wad cutter, semiwadcutter, and round ball all shoot very accurately from that pistol.
    Also has .431 throats. And adjustable sights.
    Last edited by Alferd Packer; 10-30-2022 at 09:49 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Alferd Packer View Post
    I have often considered a spot heat on that dragoon trigger guard and quickly slipping it over an iron bar and reshaping that sharp right angle bend
    into a round pleasing bend using a couple taps with a hammer.
    Bloody knuckle begone.
    Of course disassembly required firstly.
    It may look funny, but so does a bloody knuckle and it hurts especially in cold weather shooting.
    Any takers tried this yet.
    I can't be the only one thinking this.
    Mine is the stainless 7 1/2 inch model.
    The screw holding the ejector housing snapped the first time I fired it.
    So it went right back to Ruger for repair.
    Shoots very fine since with factory loads, except for that knuckle banging dragoon trigger guard.
    I would shoot it more if it weren't for that I think.
    Ruger probably would balk at repairing the gun if the trigger guard were reshaped saying the heating made the barrel screw brittle.
    It seems like Skeeter Skelton did what you describe to one. IIRC, it didn't look terrible. I'm sure that others have done them, too. Or, you could always order a new grip frame from Ron Wells, like this; it's available with the Dragoon-style TG, a regular round TG, or a Bisley TG (for use with a Bisley trigger):

https://rwgripframes-com.3dcartstore...odel_p_46.html
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master
    A nice, well thought of Ruger Super Blackhawk.

Yes, some folks hate the Dragoon grip frame. Others, have zero issues with it. Instead of trying to modify it, and possibly wrecking it,, just replace the g/f with either a different Ruger factory model, (They all use the same screw hole pattern,) or as suggested,, get a RW grip frame that fits YOUR hands.

I had a .44 Blackhawk with the Dragoon style trigger guard, it made mince meat out of my middle knuckle. I installed the Hogue rubber molded grips that filled the gap behind the guard. I loved them. I sold the pistol to my brother in law because he just had to have it. Replaced it in short order with a Bisley. Best move I ever made.
    https://www.hogueinc.com/grips/ruger...uper-blackhawk
    Deplorable infidel

Vendor Sponsor

Wrap one good turn of this around the middle finger knuckle, shoot ALL day!!

Name:	Stretchy Bandage White.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	114.1 KB 
ID:	306279

NO MORE "Magnum Knuckle"

Name:	Magnum Knuckle.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	175.6 KB 
ID:	306280
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post

NO MORE "Magnum Knuckle"

I used gloves when I shot the one I use to have.
    NRA Lifer

Boolit Master
    I enjoy the aesthetics of blued steel and wood as much as the next guy but $25 for a Hogue grip to solve the busted knuckle problem seems a cheap fix. Have heard from others that thicker grip panels largely solve the problem. Got to try that.

Boolit Buddy
    I shot it some yesterday with Federal American Eagle 240g jhp. Box says 1230 fps, I didn't use the crono because of time . I wore a thin glove on my shooting hand and the recoil wasn't bad at all, sort of rocked back in my hand. That's what that plow handle grip was designed to do. I have a Hogue grip on my 45, I like it but not sure if I want one on the 44.
    NRA Lifer

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by DougGuy View Post

NO MORE "Magnum Knuckle"

I guess being bass ackwards comes natural for me... MANY years ago I had a Ruger revolver which contused my knuckle, and from the 1st Aid kit in truck I retrieved a Band Aid, but I put it on the trigger guard -- padded part in centre -- and... problem solved. Perhaps common sense would have dictated the Band Aid on the finger, but I reckoned it might/would move so applied, plus be a possible impediment when shooting.
    What can I add? Works for me...
    geo

Boolit Master

I got a 4.6” barrel one on Gunbroker. It’s got the rounded trigger guard and I shoot it with 44 Special loads, so no knuckle issues. It is extremely accurate. I was used to shooting my Bulldog in 44 special and it’s great up close but the short sight radius and my aiming eyesight don’t do well at 50 ft, but no such troubles with the Ruger. I only changer the base pin for a #5 style for aesthetics. It’s a beauty! Have fun and good shooting! Tim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    I had a .44 Blackhawk with the Dragoon style trigger guard, it made mince meat out of my middle knuckle. I installed the Hogue rubber molded grips that filled the gap behind the guard. I loved them.
    if you don't care for the Hogue rubber look, Altamont has something similar in wood:

Name:	RSB-FO07.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	18.5 KB 
ID:	306601

Boolit Master
    That is a beauty for sure. Bet it will be a great shooter. The .44 mag is such a versatile round. I like medium level loads with some heavy ones occasionally. I have gotten to the point where my cast loads in all my revolvers shoot extremely well. Took several years to learn how.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast