RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Motion activated optics

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Motion activated optics

I'm looking at the various SIG ROMEO optics and they seem to all be motion activated. If I mount one on my P226 and carry it in a holster, is the sight on all the while I am moving around? That must affect battery life, but by how much?

Anyone have first hand experience with this situation?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

Boolit Grand Master

Yes they go to sleep with no movement. I have a Holosun on my carry gun. Claimed battery life is 50,000 hours on the low setting. I change it once a year to be safe on my daily carry gun.

Sig claims 20,000 to 25,000 hours battery life but some are having issues with it not going to sleep so they are getting less.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-29-2022 at 12:57 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

It will be on constantly in a holster if that holster isn’t sitting on a table.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

It will still be drawing some amount of current even when it's asleep.
    If it didn't, it wouldn't know when to wake up and to to work.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I have a Sig Romeo 5 which has the auto shutoff. It has an On/Off switch too and I turn it off when I put it away. The On/Off switch wasn't mentioned in the product description.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

I guess they figure if you are rich enough to buy those sights, you should be rich enough to afford batteries for them.

Boolit Grand Master
    Neither my fiancé or I can acquire a sight picture quickly with one of those sights. I will not put them on a self-defence handgun. If it works for you, go for it and change batteries every year like M-Tecs suggested.

I have a laser sight on my Kahr and it only comes on when needed. And if it falls, I have iron sights right there and ready.
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

My preference would be to keep using the iron sights, however, I no longer can see the front sight clearly without my prescription shooting glasses. That prescription is different than my normal street wear glasses. My self-defense optic handguns have co-witnessed irons. When first started using them I aligned the sights I looked for iron and the dot is there. After a little trigger time and training I now am quicker and more accurate with the dot. Changing batteries yearly is much cheaper than replace dim tritium sights 8 to 10 years.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-29-2022 at 07:22 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Don, don't take this as criticism I have the same problem. Looking at YouTube videos they all seem to enforce the same thing in that it is a sign of an incorrect grip. I cannot prove or disprove this theory because I haven't fixed my issue with it either. I do know once I find the dot my shooting improves over the iron sights.

Boolit Grand Master

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=M-Tecs;5479236] When first started using them I aligned the sights I looked for iron and the dot is there. After a little trigger time and training I now am quicker and more accurate with the dot.

This!

Drive your blurry front sight into the target like always and the dot will be there. Either that or graft on some longer arms! We all have to get older but we don't have to grow up.

Boolit Master
    I have astigmatism and the red dot didn't work for me. I am using a 1X illuminated Reflex sight with an etched reticle which is easy to see with illumination off. The illumination helps most in low light but it's very usable if batteries fail.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Paso View Post
    I have astigmatism and the red dot didn't work for me. I am using a 1X illuminated Reflex sight with an etched reticle which is easy to see with illumination off. The illumination helps most in low light but it's very usable if batteries fail.
    Same. The big dots look like a comet to me. I used the Holosun 507 2 MOA Dot with 32 MOA Circle. I am also color blind so most red dots don't work well for me. The Holosun red does work for me but since they started make them in green that works much better for me.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Finster101 View Post
    Don, don't take this as criticism I have the same problem. Looking at YouTube videos they all seem to enforce the same thing in that it is a sign of an incorrect grip. I cannot prove or disprove this theory because I haven't fixed my issue with it either. I do know once I find the dot my shooting improves over the iron sights.
    Not offended at all! A poor grip can cause issues.

I also shoot better with a red dot and I have them on our Ruger .22 pistols we use for target work. Both of us have the same trouble "finding the dot". Both of us are decent shots. I managed Expert class in Bullseye. With target work, a second or two wasted does not matter.

For our carry guns, the red dot has more downside than the potential increase in precision of the shot. Time is of the essence in that situation. Even a half second "wasted" can be bad. Plus adding a red dot increases the bulk of the weapon. It is not worth the learning curve for us. Whatever sights I use must also be good for my lady in case we need to use our partner's weapon.

Not suggesting RD are "bad". But there are downsides, real or perceived, just as there are for any sighting system. And perception is reality. We have fired thousands of rounds using RDs on the .22's and still find iron sights faster to get on target. But I have likely fired 500,000 shots using iron sights. They work well enough for self defense precision, and they are "bullet proof".

One point that may influence our experience. The RD's on the Rugers are not co-witnessed with the iron sights.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    I find that I am about as fast with the red dots but on the range with aging eyes, I do shoot a bit better with them. I haven't found that the red dot on my G19 causes any carrying trouble in the holster I use. The jury is still out though if adding that complexity with its small gain in precision has any real world improvement in a gunfight. A close friend of mine has had 16 years of experience in gunfights in the middle east and is a firm believer in the speed and utility of red dots in real world situations. A point not to be discounted.

I also have astigmatism and I guess if you were shooting bullseye precision, an out of round red dot would be distracting. I don't worry about an out of round red dot in defensive practice. The red blob goes where I want the bullet to go. I don't care if its perfectly round.

Boolit Master

Battery life will be affected sometimes drastically. I have seen numbers like 350 hours on the highest setting being constantly on. I would adjust the dot to the lowest intensity I needed.
    Some manufacturers or reviews give battery life with dot constantly on.

On the ranges that you need for a self-defense side arm do you really even need sights?
    My carry piece is a P938.
    I modified it with a SAS slide that has no sights above the level of the slide, the top is totally smooth.
    It does have a sight that is a combination of tritium and a light gathering whatever.
    Pretty awesome and I can go back to the original slide whenever I want.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    On the ranges that you need for a self-defense side arm do you really even need sights?
    My carry piece is a P938.
    I modified it with a SAS slide that has no sights above the level of the slide, the top is totally smooth.
    It does have a sight that is a combination of tritium and a light gathering whatever.
    Pretty awesome and I can go back to the original slide whenever I want.
    Sights depend on what you are typing to do with a SD gun. Before the summer of love I normally just carried a Ruper LCP 380. It has crude sights but as up close and personal they were marginally adequate. Since the summer of love I want something I can make hits with at a minimum of 50 yards.

– Amber Veal

- Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    I have no interest in a level playing field with my defensive weapons. I will take as much unfair advantage as possible. Anything that makes me faster, more accurate and harder hitting than the other guy is good news. I'm still in the experimentation stage with the red dots on my defensive guns, but with aging eyes, its certainly worth exploring.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elmacgyver0 View Post
    I guess they figure if you are rich enough to buy those sights, you should be rich enough to afford batteries for them.
    $1.50 gets you 6 months to a year of battery life. Probably more if you don't change batteries until it's actually starting to die.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast