Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky Wideners

Thread: .45 Colt

Boolit Mold

.45 Colt

Hello all.

I see a lot of info around on bullet weights for the .45Colt. Very little on the lighter side which surprises me as I shoot a cap and ball .44 NMA with a round ball at 145gr and bullet at 160gr.

So, as I already have molds for these I thought I would give my Winchester Miroku 1866 a spin with black powder and see how it went.

I am very pleased with the result, using a EPP-UG 145gr .45 mold. Though the mold drops bullets at 160gr. This is a big lube mold from BigLube.com designed I believe for the ROA to replicate the round ball. The bullet I am using is lubed with 50/50 beeswax and olive oil and is consistently striking groups less than 2" at 25m with 39gr 3f Swiss.

The only downside is the massive smoke obscuring the target if I fire too fast!

So ....very happy with black powder. But...is anyone shooting these light bullets with pistol powders successfully?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1898.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	306203

Boolit Buddy

Can't help on your question, but welcome to the madness. Bunch of great folks here. C.R.

Boolit Master
    That's basically a collar button design, and Bullseye, Red Dot or WW231 will all work - although one may shoot better in your gun.

I typically use 231 for most everything but YMMV.

Boolit Buddy

I use Keith type bullets in 45 Colt. 255 grain lead 18 brindle.

I don't shoot anything that light. Usually 200-250gr lubed with SPG. I rarely use anything but black powder.

Boolit Mold
    Cheers for the replies. I did some more shooting today and the BP loads with this bullet are all consistently hitting nicely in a 2" circle at 50m. I had some Vihtavouri N320 to hand so loaded a few up with 8.8grs and tried these out and find they are just as tight. So, happy days with both BP and pistol powders. I admit I prefer the BP for the flash and smoke.