Load DataReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Wideners RotoMetals2

Thread: Red Dot vs Clays

Boolit Man

Red Dot vs Clays

Hi guys, I have a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1. I want to try Ed Harris' "The Load" (13 grains of Red Dot) Using the Lee 160 grain tumble lube boolit, paper patched. I don't have much Red Dot, but I've got plenty of Clays. How close are they? Could I safely use 13 grains of Clays?

Scotty

Boolit Master
    The two are not directly equivalent but you could certainly start on the light side with Clays and work your way up.

In the absence of other info, I’d start at 10 grs and go from there.

Boolit Grand Master

Since Clays is a slower burning powder, you certainly could. I've used both in pistol and rifle cartridges and found that red Dot burns cleaner (for me) and Clays (both the Aussie and Canadian versions) are smokier. YMMV
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by stubshaft View Post
    Since Clays is a slower burning powder, you certainly could. I've used both in pistol and rifle cartridges and found that red Dot burns cleaner (for me) and Clays (both the Aussie and Canadian versions) are smokier. YMMV
    There are some burn rate charts that show Clays being quite a bit faster than Red Dot, what is the real deal here?

Scotty

Boolit Master

Do you have a chronograph?

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    I have a new chrono on the way, so I'll have a chrono again pretty soon. Why do you ask?

Scotty

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    The two are not directly equivalent but you could certainly start on the light side with Clays and work your way up.

In the absence of other info, I’d start at 10 grs and go from there.
    This is exactly what I did, and yes got up to 13 grains of ADI AS30 (Clays Equvilent) with no problems at all also used Winchester AA lite equally as good in my #4 and a variety of other elderly Military surplus rifle`s

Boolit Master
    PLEASE DO NOT try to use Clays in place of Red Dot! Their burning rates may be roughly alike, but that's where their similarities end! Clays (in my experience) gets very peaky, as pressures rise. Red Dot is slightly better about not acting like that.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post
    A chronograph will not tell you if a load is over pressure. I have no idea how this thinking got traction, but it is wrong.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by scottyp99 View Post
    Hi guys, I have a Lee-Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1. I want to try Ed Harris' "The Load" (13 grains of Red Dot) Using the Lee 160 grain tumble lube boolit, paper patched. I don't have much Red Dot, but I've got plenty of Clays. How close are they? Could I safely use 13 grains of Clays?

Scotty
    Good question.

I referenced my Lyman 4th Edition shotshell manual and it appears that Red Dot and Clays are very close, that is, with identical components in a 12 ga. they give very similar velocities and pressures. This doesn't necessarily mean they'll perform that similarly in a rifle cartridge, but at least it's a place to start.
    I've used lots of Red Dot in cartridges such as the .308, 30-06, 7.62x54 and .303 British and wouldn't hesitate to try Clays (I have GOBS of it too). As someone else suggested, 10 grs. might be a good place to start and it'd be wise to chronograph loads, comparing velocities to those obtained by Red Dot.

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    A chronograph will not tell you if a load is over pressure. I have no idea how this thinking got traction, but it is wrong.
    A chronograph will definitely tell us if a load is over pressure and the idea probably got traction by articles such as this- SAFE LOADS WITH YOUR CHRONOGRAPH

35W
    Last edited by 35 Whelen; 11-11-2022 at 02:46 AM.
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

I use them interchangeably in light loads in the 300BLK, Clays is more accurate.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    +1

Start low like suggested and pay attention to the chrono for weird and erratic readings. Also watch that brass and primer pockets. Tread carefully in small steps on this
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Quote Originally Posted by Kosh75287 View Post
    PLEASE DO NOT try to use Clays in place of Red Dot! Their burning rates may be roughly alike, but that's where their similarities end! Clays (in my experience) gets very peaky, as pressures rise. Red Dot is slightly better about not acting like that.
    Believe it! Clays (AS30N), is quite fine at low loadings but when one starts getting up toward 13grs, things happen. Like pressures spiking.

I have tried it. I don't advise it.

I have found that 5grs under a 215gr boolit produces low pressures and good accuracy. I don't remember what boolit I used for the 13gr charge but it wasn't the heavy. Pressures too high for cast.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 11-12-2022 at 05:03 PM.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    Use 10 grs or less for either one for safety.
    13 grs tended to lead a little using red dot, but 10 grs was powerful and accurate