Inline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Load DataSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionWideners
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Electroplating

Electroplating

I was just wondering how many have attempted electroplating and how successful you have been. I tried a few years back and found the quality wasn't worth the time. I was wiring each bullet and hanging them in the plating solution.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master

I tried it it in the late 1970' and gave it up. Followed it over time as others tried anew and supposed new technologies came out on it. My observation is that mostly people are initially excited - but then dissatisfied with the results over time.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Buddy
    I tried it a few months ago on a 1851 Navy repro and am relatively pleased. The process was fairly straightforward but I need to replate some parts due to my screwup in using copper wire instead of nickel or platinum wire. Consequently, my plating has a slight copper sheen that is turning darker with time as the copper oxidizes. Most hazardous chemical was the muriatic acid bath for clean up just prior to going into the plating solution (granted the nickel bath is hazardous but gloves/hand washing is SOP). The power unit was bought off of Amazon and delivered a consistent voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by 36g View Post
    I tried it a few months ago on a 1851 Navy repro and am relatively pleased. The process was fairly straightforward but I need to replate some parts due to my screwup in using copper wire instead of nickel or platinum wire. Consequently, my plating has a slight copper sheen that is turning darker with time as the copper oxidizes. Most hazardous chemical was the muriatic acid bath for clean up just prior to going into the plating solution (granted the nickel bath is hazardous but gloves/hand washing is SOP). The power unit was bought off of Amazon and delivered a consistent voltage.
    Thanks for the response but, I was mainly thinking about bullets. Although the processes appear to be very similar.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    I would think putting the bullets on a wire screen made out of something like nickel would be better than wiring each one.

Due to hazardous stuff and having to dispose of waste liquids would not make it very attractive to me. And, for me, powder coat performs better than the commercially plated bullets. PC can also be used at higher velocities, if you believe the limits Berry's and Rainier put on their products.

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Your results mirrored mine. The guys that do it professionally do a much better job than we can at home. On the other hand I think powder coated boolits are a much better idea and it's something we can do well at home...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Powder coating is MUCH easier and less of a hassle in storing the chemicals and other pieces needed for electroplating. I am just curious about how many have tried and if any are still doing it on a personal level and not commercially.