Load DataWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: found a new source of lead today

Boolit Master

found a new source of lead today

I had to take a trip to get some tractor parts and passed by a small out of the way scrap yard and decided to pull in and see whats doing.
    they had wheel weights and they told me there were some blocks of leads in the box also. still negotiating a price but they started out at 75 cents a pound for the lead blocks and less for the wheel weights. I wasn't not prepared to be scrounging though a scrap yard today but I sure am glad I stopped. I have to go back wearing proper attire, work boots, gloves and hard hat and get some cash. if I can afford it I was thinking to just buy everything they have.

Congratulations! I hope you score some tin or better alloy for the cheap.

Boolit Master

Awesome news!
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Boolit Master
    It occurs to me that such a discovery is like a gold prospector’s mother load: something to be glad of, to share the good news of, even boasted of, to be profited by, but, at the same time, to be jealously guarded and whose location will be a closely held secret.

So, congratulations!

Um, where do you live?…

A plumber friend of mine was just at a local scrap yard to sell off some old copper tubing. He spotted about 10 unopened bag of lead shot. He asked if he could buy some. They refused him as it is their policy not to sell to the general public. What a waste...............

Boolit Master

Congratulations. You never know what you might find.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Its always nice to find a new source. The yards around here won't sell to the public and don't even like for you to look around when you are there selling stuff. Congratulations on the find!

Boolit Master
    If a yard won't sell to you, maybe they would do some kind of trade, to keep an outright sale off the books.

Boolit Master
    the problem with trying to buy from most scrap yards is the liability I guess when would be customers are looking around for stuff they want to buy. some places dont even want you getting out of your vehicle unless its to cash in your weight ticket and I guess there has been consolidation of the big guys buying out the smaller places and want to do everything they can to reduce expenses and having insurance for customers to walk around looking is probably a real thing that costs money. they key to finding places that are friendly to people like me and you who want to buy lead is finding the smaller out of the way places with friendly folks that own it. I dont think its so much a keeping off the books thing. I have never met a scrap yard owner that did not have a wad of bills in his pocket so fat that it could choke a horse.

Boolit Master
    I have a simple policy when it comes to buying from scrap yards. If you do not want to sell to me then I do not want to sell to you, I will take my scrap somewhere else from now on. You would be surprised how fast that will cause a change of attitude in some of the smaller places. The big places don't care, as a matter of fact they would rather not deal with us "Little" people!

Boolit Bub
    The local scrap yard here has the same policy. Part of the reason is, they sign agreements with the big companies to not sell to the public because they do not want to see their scrap, reject parts, showing up on the market

Boolit Master
    certain scrap yards will make agreements with sellers to destroy whatever the seller sends to them. this happened quite often with manufacturers that sent stuff to the yard I was affiliated with a dozen years ago. I remember one manufacturer of golf clubs would send in truck loads and they had their representative watch as the new golf cubs were sent through the shredder. dont know if it is still in effect but all of the craftsman tools that were brought in for replacement were sent to one scrap yard for destruction it was a huge contract and there was a big story about in in the scrap magazine years ago.

Boolit Master
    My club has a "free" table. Someone left all these muzzle loader balls on it. I scarfed them.
    That is a gallon milk jug.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lead balls.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	306185

Boolit Master
    They were probably left there for the muzzle loading guys to take. And actually use in their guns! At least in my club that would not have gone over very well.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    the problem with trying to buy from most scrap yards is the liability I guess when would be customers are looking around for stuff they want to buy. some places dont even want you getting out of your vehicle unless its to cash in your weight ticket and I guess there has been consolidation of the big guys buying out the smaller places and want to do everything they can to reduce expenses and having insurance for customers to walk around looking is probably a real thing that costs money. they key to finding places that are friendly to people like me and you who want to buy lead is finding the smaller out of the way places with friendly folks that own it. I dont think its so much a keeping off the books thing. I have never met a scrap yard owner that did not have a wad of bills in his pocket so fat that it could choke a horse.
    I expect you're right about the liability. Looking for the smaller places is the way to go. The same goes for looking for wheelweights. The small private owned places are more likely to sell to you.

Boolit Buddy
    Whats better than tin? Lol

Boolit Buddy
    ^^this