MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRepackbox
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Wideners Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alliant

Boolit Buddy

Alliant

So I wrote Alliant and received a pre-formatted reply that they didn't even take the time out to fill in the blank spots.
    Everyplace I look has nothing from Alliant (specifically looking for Unique) but they said in their email that they're producing all powders and sending them to their distributors. Anyone seeing anything on the shelf anywhere?

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    If all these companies are making all this powder and all these primers where are they going not to the retail stores.

You said Unique, but if anyone else is looking there is Alliant 2400 right now if you look hard enough

Boolit Grand Master

I've been looking for Unique for the last year and a half, I ended up buying the last two cans of 2400 that the LGS had.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

I just recently (about six weeks ago) obtained an 8 pound jug of Unique from a company in Pa.

https://cacassociatesinc.com/
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Boolit Master
    It's hit and miss. I don't use Unique anymore (I stopped long before the current shortage) but other powders are available. Just have to look around and have cash in hand...

Quote Originally Posted by HWooldridge View Post
    It's hit and miss. I don't use Unique anymore (I stopped long before the current shortage) but other powders are available. Just have to look around and have cash in hand...
    What do you use out of curiosity, and what was the reason? I'm new to reloading, and just learning about different powders.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mint View Post
    What do you use out of curiosity, and what was the reason? I'm new to reloading, and just learning about different powders.
    I know that was Not directed to me...But.. I also could use input since Unique is indeed Hit or (mostly) Miss around here..
    Kinda moved to #5... But, There are Probably better choices... I been using Unique since the '70's, and never much experimented!!!
    Oh... except for Red Dot... Which I use More and More... Call me Cheap!!!!

Boolit Master
    I got away from Unique and started using WW231 and Red Dot for light to medium loads. Also 700-X and Clays - the latter burns very cleanly in pistol rounds. I go to 2400 or 4227 for hotter stuff.

Boolit Buddy
    I've seen a bit of Unique pop up here. It's dirty, but it lights easy and is consistent. I've burned piles of it in the last 45 years of reloading. Mostly in 45 ACP and 28 ga. I really want to get my hands on some more Alliant Re26. The testing I did with the pound I had produced some game changing loads in the 300 Win. I want to get some more to confirm my findings and test in some other cartridges. I heard that the Canadian Military was purchasing nearly all of the production of 26 for their 338 Lapua program. I heard this on the internet so it must be true!

Havent seen anything in Alliant other than BE86, I personally need Bullseye to shoot our matches with.
    ILSA MEMBER
    CLASS 6 FFL

Boolit Buddy

I’m thankful that I’m not looking for powder now. I do use a lot of Unique in .45 acp , 38 spl. Standard pressure loads, and in the 357 and 45 colt for middle range loads. I have not found Unique to be dirty till you get down to cream puff loads.

Grafs had bullseye in 8# jugs today, still had some this evening, they had some other Alliant stuff too.
    ILSA MEMBER
    CLASS 6 FFL

Boolit Master

If you can't get Unique, see if you can find some Winchester 244, it's virtually the same burning rate as Unique.
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

244 is really an underrated powder, its really consistent and meters well. I feel its super clean as well
    ILSA MEMBER
    CLASS 6 FFL

Boolit Grand Master
    Unique is a very old smokeless powder (think 100 years or so) made by Hercules before they became Alliant. They named it that because it had so many uses it was… UNIQUE! I’ve used it in 45-70 down to 38 Special loadings and I’ve been told there are even some 12 gauge shotgun loadings that it can be used in. In short, it was designed to be a powder the reloader could use for a wide range of cartridges, rather than keeping a whole shelf of specific powders. The concept sorta fell out of favor, but in these times of powder shortages might be worth revisiting.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I too am slowly getting away from Alliant powders. While other manufacturers are getting product back on the shelves, Alliant is still extremely hard to come by. Shame, because I've got a lot of good loads in a variety of cartridges that use their powders. That said, as I run out, I'm not stopping shooting. I'm just finding substitutes with other powders.

Boolit Master

The only outlet for as many primers that are being produced is our own US government. What they would be doing with them all is anyone's guess? Maybe just to keep you from having them.

Boolit Buddy
    Found Alliant 410 this morning - still no Unique.

Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    The only outlet for as many primers that are being produced is our own US government. What they would be doing with them all is anyone's guess? Maybe just to keep you from having them.
    As stated in the past, primers for the retail consumer are usually what is left after filling ammo orders. I am sure that the military consumes large quantities yearly. That, along with any order from law enforcement agencies and foreign allies probably eats up a good percentage. And when you add in the civilian demand there is not a lot left over for retail sale of primers.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast