Boolit Master

.44-40 brass

Star. LINE said 18 months before next run

Boolit Bub
    wow!!

Boolit Master
    good thing there are options, at least for a revolver
    Hick: Iron sights!

My order went in Sept 5th shortly before the door closed, still waiting!

Boolit Master
    I'm glad that I have not yet purchased a rifle chambered for the 44-40. Maybe I never will.

Boolit Buddy
    They have 38-40 listed as backorder. It could be necked up!

Bill

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    I'm glad that I have not yet purchased a rifle chambered for the 44-40. Maybe I never will.
    You can find brass - it just may not be Starline. I have some old Remington brass that's about 40 years old and still going. I anneal the case mouths every so often and I lose a few to damage and other things but probably still have 70 pcs left out of the 100 factory shells I started with. I've also picked up some other headstamps over the years.

It's not a big deal unless you are shooting really high volumes.

I have had no trouble finding lots of it at gunshows. Push away from the key board and go look for it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by freakonaleash View Post
    I have had no trouble finding lots of it at gunshows. Push away from the key board and go look for it.
    There are about 3 different gun shows that I attend on a regular basis. Other than 9mm range brass, none of those shows have had any brass of any kind for 2 to 3 years now.

Boolit Master
    Start calling again. I have 2000 on back order but was told this run was all shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by wwmartin View Post
    They have 38-40 listed as backorder. It could be necked up!

Bill
    No different than the 44-40 was when I ordered back on Sept 5th (yellow - backorder). My order still showing as processing.

Green - available
    Yellow - available backorder only
    Red - not available

The 44-40 was yellow when I ordered (and allowed a selection). It is red now and no longer available for backorder.

We'll see what happens

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I am currently using as ballistic reference ammo Rem-UMC "dogbone" logo Kleanbore 200-grain SP ammo loaded with Sharpshooter powder in balloon-head cases. As I use this up I will decap the fired brass and make it available to somebody wanting to load BP in .44-40. Recommended practice to reload this stuff is NOT to FL size the brass, but to fill the primed case with BP to give base support to the bullet and then use Redding Profile Crimp on the loaded rounds. Trying to FL resize in the normal way with balloon-head cases having no relief cut ahead of the rim damages the minimal Rim and sometimes pulls heads off. Lyman tong tool is OK.

I will gift fired, decapped brass to a serious shooter who will share his experience. In total there will be maybe 80-100 of them. About a year ago somebody expressed interest, but I stupidly deleted the PM. Please contact me again to put you at the top of the list.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    I am currently using as ballistic reference ammo Rem-UMC "dogbone" logo Kleanbore 200-grain SP ammo loaded with Sharpshooter powder in balloon-head cases. As I use this up I will decap the fired brass and make it available to somebody wanting to load BP in .44-40. Recommended practice to reload this stuff is NOT to FL size the brass, but to fill the primed case with BP to give base support to the bullet and then use Redding Profile Crimp on the loaded rounds. Trying to FL resize in the normal way with balloon-head cases having no relief cut ahead of the rim damages the minimal Rim and sometimes pulls heads off. Lyman tong tool is OK.

I will gift fired, decapped brass to a serious shooter who will share his experience. In total there will be maybe 80-100 of them. About a year ago somebody expressed interest, but I stupidly deleted the PM. Please contact me again to put you at the top of the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    There are about 3 different gun shows that I attend on a regular basis. Other than 9mm range brass, none of those shows have had any brass of any kind for 2 to 3 years now.
    I must be getting there before you do.

I don’t know how I did it but my recent inventory shows 500 pcs. Remington 44-40, 750 pcs. Winchester , 500 pcs. Starline for 2 rifles and one handgun. I’ve only been with the 44-40 for five years. Pretty sure brass will never be a problem. I have never tried the Starline brass, Win, Rem. have been quite satisfactory .

Boolit Master
    Its funny,but on other forums people are always asking for some product they could make thats in demand ..... if you say they could make gunstuuf ,you get dissed severely.........from what little Ive seen ,Starline use quite standard presses,no fancy armory machines ,so basically just about anyone could do it..........in fact Ive been to auctions where these kind of presses (50 ton geared,around 4" stroke) are all bought by scrapmetal dealers,off the floor where they have been working,and can be seen working. (with required guarding.)

Boolit Grand Master
    Was in a local pawn and gun shop today and they had 44-40 brass, new, but it was 50 cents each!! Think they had 190 pieces total

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockrat78 View Post
    Was in a local pawn and gun shop today and they had 44-40 brass, new, but it was 50 cents each!! Think they had 190 pieces total
    you fellers are spoilt! its been 50 cents each (or right close) downunder for years.

Quote Originally Posted by indian joe View Post
    you fellers are spoilt! its been 50 cents each (or right close) downunder for years.
    and once upon a time it was $.50 for a whole box of cartridges