Reloading EverythingLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2WidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: starline brass

Boolit Buddy

starline brass

What do ya'll think of starline brass?
    My deceased brother who passed away in March, and had been reloading sense he was about 15, and loaded for 38/357 mag 41 mag, 45 acp, and 9 mm, always thought that starline was almost as good as match brass, and half the cost. For his rifle ammo, 243, 30-06,270 winchester, 45-70, he liked norma cases when he could get them.

I have 50 .44spl. Starline bought 20 years ago. they are really good and at today always work well, perhaps also thanks to the modest pressures with which I reload them_
    in 8x57js Norma brass was and is my nr.1 choice_
    you won't be disappointed with Lapua or Sako, among the european brass in other calibers, if you don't mind about their cost_
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Master
    I’ve used Starline straight walled pistol brass for action pistol games. It seemed well made and consistent, and would reload several cycles no problem, but I don’t have any experience with loading for rifle or high accuracy so can’t comment on its suitability for those applications.

I also have only used Starline pistol brass in 9mm and 45ACP, and there are as good as any of the other "good" brands, no complaints here....

Boolit Master
    I never have had a problem with Starline brass.

Boolit Master

Excellent quality/ life span, a bit hard. You may have to anneal for lower power/black powder loads.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master
    Back when I was writing product reviews for ASSRA’s Single Shot Journal, Starline sent me a batch of their then-new 38-55 brass to test. I checked and measured it every way I could think of and it was some of the best brass I’ve ever seen. Currently I have their brass for 32 H&R and 327 Fed Mag and it is flawless. The only problem I’ve had with it is that it comes to me too clean. I’ve got to dirty it up a little to get my case mouth expanders to work with new shells.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

I've used both straight wall and bottleneck Starline brass. I've been very pleased with everything I ever bought.

At least for the the .500 I prefer Starline, especially over Hornady. The latter are consistently too short and either too thick (or unpliable) because I have to bell them more to seat properly

Boolit Grand Master

Good quality brass.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

I think it is very good quality brass.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    To paraphrase many prior responses: I have never had a problem using any of Starline's brass, straight walled or bottlenecked.

Slight caveat, I don't shoot the ultra accuracy games where it seems everyone is convinced you need Scandinavian made brass to even show up.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I like the Starline all I have been using for a number of years, holds up well and reloads many times. Only problem is getting some, sometimes, always seams backordered.

Starline makes some high luster brass.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    I've got 5.000 pieces of Starline Brass in 3 calibers in rotation. No problems yet.

Funny thing with the 44 Mag brass, the hardness and neck tension are all over the place when I get it. Once fired it softens and becomes very consistent for the next 30 loadings it takes for the mouth to split. 98% of my loads are full power, the 2% is reduced for shooting other people's steel targets.

Just got my first Starline bottleneck cartridges and they were All smooth and consistent on the first loading.
    Last edited by Mal Paso; 10-28-2022 at 08:54 PM.
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Bub
    They have been well known for their pistol brass for years. Only in the past 5-7 years or so did they start making bottle neck cartridges. First it was some of the odd/older stuff (348 Winchester and the likes) but now they are making most of the common calibers and still a few odd balls.

Overall it's all great quality. I'm trying to find some 6.8SPC when they make another production run of the stuff. Might get some 300BO as I am moving in that direction.

For the long range guys, it's not Lapua quality, but its as good or better than most of the other domestic manufacturers.

Banned
    I recently used Starline .357 brass to form .256 Winchester Magnum cases. I did not lose one single case. I lubed them with Rislone using a Q tip for inside the mouth and also lubed the outside of the case. First in a .30 Mauser die and then in the .256 Win. Mag dies. I can certainly recommend Starline Brass.

Yep, Starline is my go to brass and when you load for some not so popular calibers, they are a life saver. I pestered them for 6 months for some 45 Auto Rim brass and when they finally made a run of it, a kind lady sent me an email saying that it was ready. See if Remington or Winchester will do that for you!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Boolit Grand Master

I am not a "brass snob" and use many different brass makes. But all the Starline cases I have purchased are top quality and all measured well within SAAMI tolerances. Nickel plated Starling cases were very well plated (smooth, even plating)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Buddy

First, i'm a brass *****, and i'll take about any brass offered, or that i can pick up. I've loaded reams of winchester, spear, remington, S&B, Top Brass, and other handgun brass, and most of the same brass in rifle calibers too.

I generally use range pickup brass, particularly in handguns, BUT if i buy new brass in any caliber, i go with Starline. I started with their 10mm brass years ago, and then got at least 1K, if not a few, of 357, 44 mag, 30-30 and 45-70. Currently waiting to pounce on 38-55 brass.
    In fact the ONLY brass ive found that is NOT worth my time- except to melt down for other things is AMERC. can't even make dummy rounds with that crap!
    Good brass, rifle ive loaded the same lots many times over, and pistol will last until you lose it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast