Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: Neck flaring tool needed to fit decapping pin rod

Boolit Master

Neck flaring tool needed to fit decapping pin rod

Does anyone make a flaring device that would fit onto the Hornady decapping rod and be held in place with a set screw?
    I am currently loading cast boolits on a Dillon 450 press that has only 4 stations. Station 1 has the decapping rod mounted in the sizing die such that only the primer gets punched out. The neck is not sized at all. Station 2 has the Dillon powder measure. Station 3 has the seating die. Station 4 has the Lee factory crimp die.
    I am finding that I need to incorporate some kind of flare to the necks because I occasionally get boolit or gas checks shaved when seating.
    If I can get a flaring tool to ride up and down the decapping rod to accommodate both .250 Savage and. 25-06 cases, that would solve my problem. Otherwise it's back to the Lyman M die in Station 2, powder measure in station 3 and seating in station 4. I then will have to run all loaded rounds thru the Lee factory crimp die to achieve proper neck tension.
    It's all chicken, even the beak!

Boolit Buddy
    I don't know of any flaring tool to go onto the de-cap rod.

But you may be able to find a powder funnel for station 2 that does a hint of flaring. Even if from a pistol round, could be shortened, either one end or both ends.

It may help to chamfer the inside of the case mouths more then normal.

45_Colt

Boolit Master
    45 Colt-- I tried a Dillon 543R funnel in a modified die and it didn't work. I also have been champfering the inside of the necks, and that does help some, but I still get the occasional shaving that is visible. It's the ones I can't see that worry me.

Boolit Grand Master

If your dies have the expander ball to hold the decapping pin in place a bushing could be made to slide up and down with a tube above it to set flare for each cartridge if there is room for it

Boolit Grand Master

A simple drawing of what you want with dimensions (?) and someone with a mini lathe or lathe could probably make you one.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Your needs would have to flare on the up stroke which won’t work in the sizing die. You could resize and trim all your cases, then run them through the press again to finish loading using an M die or one of the NOE flaring inserts for the Lee die in station 1.

Alternatively you could get someone to machine a custom pistol type “powder funnel” for use in station 2. This is how I load 300 BLK. A friend made the funnel for me.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Alternatively you could get someone to machine a custom pistol type “powder funnel” for use in station 2. This is how I load 300 BLK. A friend made the funnel for me.[/QUOTE]

This would be my preferred solution. I tried with the Dillon 543R funnel that is for the 25-20 but it wouldn't work for the .250 Savage or the .25-06. I don't know of anyone who could make a funnel that I need. I tried Lou's Gun Works, but he was not interested.

Boolit Grand Master

Figure out what you need for dimensions and place a WTB ad on our forum. There are hundreds of hobby machinist boards out there similar to ours. Do a bit of lurking there. I’m sure you can find someone to make what you need at reasonable cost.
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Station one cannot size and flare in the same die.

Moderator Emeritus
    The problem with a pistol type powder die is that it needs to go into the case to expand it. Being a .250 case opening, the through hole size can’t be much bigger than .125, with the die wall being .062 thick. That’s getting pretty thin. With the small through hole, you also run the potential for powder bridging, especially if stick powders are used.

A modified M die stem could do what you want. The top would look normal but then have a decapping rod sticking down to deprime the case. I think the reason you don’t see them is that it’s unusual to not at least neck size the cases.

One stem would probably work with both cases since the decapping pin is about .5” long and could be adjusted for each case length.

Boolit Grand Master

Solid point on the through hole. I’m starting to think sizing them all and then running the rest of the process with the M die/NOE expander in station 1 makes the most sense.

Boolit Master
    You could ask Lathesmith about making the custom power through die to work with your Dillon measure. I asked for one for .223 but he said that it’s way too small. But 25 cal may be large enough. Either way, worth a PM to him.

I looked at Dillon’s website and didn’t see any 25 cal pistol expanders. I am able to use a .32 pistol expander for .308Win and 7.62Tok with cast boolits, but no luck for your venture.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by nvbirdman View Post
    Station one cannot size and flare in the same die.
    Shuz wrote; "Station 1 has the decapping rod mounted in the sizing die such that only the primer gets punched out. The neck is not sized at all."

He is not wanting to size at station one but to deprime and flare the case mouth. Or, at least, that's the way I interpret what he posted. With bottle necked cartridges loaded with cast bullets on my dillon 550B (an upgraded 450) I size and deprime as a seperate operation on station one or on a single stage press (most often there). I then delube the cases, if necessary, clean the lube off if they were lubed, clean the primer pockets and then inspect. Then with an M-die at station one all goes as it should when loading.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I will send Lathesmith a PM and see if he will make a Dillion style powder funnel. In the meantime since I have another CBA match coming up on Nov 5th, I will deprime separately, and then put my Lyman M die in Station 1 as has been suggested. I know that works!