RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: 410 side-by-side question

410 side-by-side question

I'd like to own such a shotgun and wonder if any of the lower-priced, imported .410 doubles are dependable and worth owning?

Stoeger has one but I recall hearing negative comments about them.

Any thoughts on the best options here for a side-by-side in .410? $800 is my tentative price limit.

Look forward to your responses.
    Last edited by PBSmith; 10-26-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Depends on how much you intend to shoot it. The Turkish doubles like CZ and others work fairly well and don't cost too much. If you are a hunter they will likely last a lifetime but if you're a competitive clays shooter you will wear one out in a year or two. Same goes for the old Rossi, just fine as long as you don't fire tens of thousands of rounds through them.

The Turkish Yildiz brand as sold by Academy Sports are very nice for the money- especially with the high grade wood they use.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    boito made one years back...if thinking of using it with little people doing the shooting look at the size of pistol grip as most are too long and the little folk end up moving hand to get to trigger and muck up natural shooting position and aim.

I have owned several of them and never had a problem with any of them. The only thing I have heard is there were some low cost brands made in the 1960’s & 70’s from Spain that had some really soft steel used in the actions and small parts that seemed to wear and break easily.
    For what I have seen used for sale a old Stevens doubles seem to be selling for more than the Turkish guns .
    I second what TbG said about the Yildiz guns, they seem solid and are nice looking.

Jedman

Boolit Master

About 4 years ago I bought at a local Gun Shop here in Meridian MS a Stoeger Uplander .410 M/F S/S Double Trigger brand new, out the door for a little less than $350, ( or I would not have bought it ) It has really good blueing, and a dark for my taste but nice woodwork. I had to grind almost 3 coils off the hammer spring to make the opening and closing manageable ( for me ) I probably would have taken off another 1 or 2 coils but I was afraid i might lighten the hammer strike to much. The barrels fire at 10 yards to the same point of aim, that's a plus. Gun's a tad heavy at 7lbs. The barrels are real shotgun barrels, not 12 bore blocks drilled to 40 like some cheap double 410's I'v seen. I'm happy with it.
    Oh yeah, Bought the Yildiz .410 at Academy in Longview TX on a Dove hunt this year. 139.00 Wow, that thing has the best woodwork you'll ever find on a gun costing 6 times that amount. It almost seems irrational. I like it also, rides on the gunrack of the 4wheeler for water mocs.
    Last edited by Electrod47; 10-26-2022 at 05:30 PM.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

.410s are great, if you can find shells for them.

Boolit Grand Master

Rossi and Boito are soft metal and wear quickly, A CZ will last for thousands of rounds,

Boolit Buddy
    I bought my kids a Stoeger SXS 410 to hunt with when they were small.

It’s a good tool for them to learn on and they used it to pretty good effect on small game.

I just recently stumbled into a nice Stevens 311, but they are running a little high in prices these days.
    I handled one of the Yildiz sxs's at the local Academy a week or so ago, seemed pretty nice.
    They also had an O/U for the same price, $499.
    I found out later that the SxS has ejectors and the O/U has extractors, if this matters to ya.

Like someone posted above, the Problem, is finding the shot shells for 'em.
    Haven't seen Any locally in a dang long time.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

I have had several stoegers of different sizes over the years and never had problems with them. had OU's in 12, 20 and 28 gauge. had a 12g coach gun and I still have a 410 side by side.
    Just wish they made the 410 a little more full size.

Boolit Master

I had a Rossi SxS for a while. It was ok, but it just didn't cut it for skeet. It was choked F&F. I now shoot an ATI "Cavalry Model" O/U. It comes with tubes. It does the job nicely for hunting and a decent job for skeet. (my highest score with it at skeet is a 24/25)

Boolit Grand Master
    Not a SXS but I bought an O/U Baikal 410 and it seems like its on a full size frame. Only bad thing is its choked IC/F. Would have been nice to have tubes. Make it a lot better shooting skeet.

Another way to look at it? You can spend a Couple Grand and get something nice. Probably not for the Kids?

I had a 8 lb jug of H110 that I bought for $50 at a gun show in the late 70's. Figured I'd use it up on my .44's. never happened so I bought a $2000 Browning Citori Sporting Clays edition in .410 with 32" bbls so I could use it all up. It's all gone now and I have to buy another 8 lb. jug for $285 to keep shooting my $2000 shotgun! It is a dream to shoot! I really like it. I also spent another $1000 on Loaders and Hulls to feed this habit.

The good thing is that I could get every cent back, probably with a little extra, in about 10 seconds !!!, because the gun is a really popular and will hold it's value as long as I take care of it.

I would be shooting it right now but the wind is blowing 50 MPH at the range and it is supposed to snow up there today. (In SoCal!!!) So nobody went today! It's all about Global Warming!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2036.JPG   19195.jpg   19202.JPG   19219.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Have a Yildiz double, came with 5 screw in chokes and weighs about 4 1/2 lbs. Love it.

Boolit Master
    I really really stepped in with a .410 loader. My cousin sells at the local flea markets, he found a DL-155 in 3" for $25. About a month later he found the bottom half of a Mec really cheap. It had the tooling but no tubes or bottles but was in 2 1/2". All I need was a way to crimp and there it was.

I have a Stoeger SXS and a couple H&R singles. I mostly use the singles as utility guns. I don't use the double much so I can't comment on long term reliability but It ain't going nowhere.

The one I dream about is a nice Stevens 22 LR-.410 OU but at the current prices it ain't likely to happen. The last 311 I saw in .410 was $700, who would have ever thought that.

Boolit Master

Southern Middle Tennessee/ Hillsboro Alabama
    I bought 2 CZ's a few years back and like them a lot. I bought the over and under in .410 and a 28 gauge side by side . They are not cheap but are more affordable than any of the older doubles I really wanted. My 12's , 16's and 20's are all either American or English but .410 and 28's in the brands that I own in those gauges cost as much as a new truck
    Grumpy Old Man With A Gun....... Do Not Touch !!

Same information again, one of the guys I shoot with has a Yildiz 28 gauge- lovely and light and priced right. 28's are easier to load, seemingly easier to find shells for, and not that much more in the recoil department... just sayin'.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

I really like my Stoeger, but wish it was not a kids size gun. But before you buy one look at shells for it. I can't find them anywhere in person.
    I also shoot 28 gauge in a different gun and like it better than 410 (and can find shells in big box stores around me if I look often enough)

Reloading the 410 is so much fun, definitely need a case cutter on the bench. My 410 and 28 are part of a Browning 3 barrel 525 set.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers