Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataRepackbox
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Titan Reloading Wideners

Thread: Jack O'Connor and Outdoor Life

Boolit Master

Jack O'Connor and Outdoor Life

in the late 1950's and 1960's I would read every word Jack O'Connor wrote. He really liked the 270 Winchester and the 7x57.
    That being said he was a strong advocate of accuracy and shot placement on big game. His attitude was that if you kept in practice and could shoot your gun accurately, and you chose your shots according to the situation any caliber was adequate for most North American big game.
    There was a strong debate between Small bore fast and big bore fast between the gun editors of Outdoor Life and another gun magazine. This debate sold an incredible number of subscriptions to both magazines. Information was exchanged about the upcoming column before publication so that the responses could appear as real time. A monthly magazine took at least 6 weeks lead time to publish back then with 3 to 4 months planning and layout on each issue. Advertising sales were done in person, by phone, and by mail.
    I read the competing magazine at my Uncles home and enjoyed the banter between Mr O'Connor and the other gun editor.
    Between the two I realized that one must shoot accurately, and one must have an accurate gun and ammunition. Mr O'Connor taught me that it did not matter what caliber I shot, as long as I was competent with it and put the bullet in the vitals where the animal lived, I would harvest the animal.
    I still use information imparted by both of these fine Gun writers and modern gun writers recycle the themes presented in their articles for the guys who do not have access to the older issues of hunting and firearms magazines published in the '50s. '60s, 70s, and even '80s.
    The more the world changes, the more it stays the same.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Grand Master

I miss those guys!

Boolit Grand Master
    yes a lot to be said for know your gun and the game you hunt
    great guys lead the way for others
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

I think it was his wife, (Elanor?) who shot the 7x57 most of the time, not that Jack didn't have one, (or more) though. Jack always gave good sage, and ethical hunting advice, advice which I follow to this day. I've had a couple of .270's and never really had any love for them, but I fell deeply in love with the 7x57 Mauser because of Jack's writings.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I think it was his wife, (Elanor?) who shot the 7x57 most of the time, not that Jack didn't have one, (or more) though. Jack always gave good sage, and ethical hunting advice, advice which I follow to this day. I've had a couple of .270's and never really had any love for them, but I fell deeply in love with the 7x57 Mauser because of Jack's writings.
    My dad was a fan of the 30/06 so I wasn't enamoured by the 270 Winchester. Over the years I discovered there was no magical caliber, or cartridge that could make me a better shooter. Only practice could make me a better shooter. Cash was short in the 1960's and low prices on primers, powder, and bullets did not mean folks could afford them. Outdoor life was 35 cents an issue. A subscription was just under $3 if you waited for the right renewal deal. $8 was a days wages for a working man...
    That is when I started to reload and cast my own bullets.

Boolit Buddy
    I got a .270 win. because I liked what Jack O'Connor wrote about it. It will do every thing I need it too. I have settled on the .308 win as my primary hunting round I like it the best. I believe this video summs it up nicely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_VRNM_vLg4&t=201s

Boolit Master
    I wasn't very interested in the 270 until about two years ago when an old friend found a Sears Brand Mod. 70 among his fathers effects and never used. He had no use for it so sent it to me! That rifle loves CB's! Now after a lifetime of being deprived, I too am a fan.

Boolit Buddy
    Me Too!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    I miss those guys!
    I kept at least 4 subscriptions for the major gunrags going up until about 4 years ago. I have kept them all for 30 plus years. Gave all the last 10 years to my Boy's. When I have a yen now, I merely go back to the mid to late 70's for that time a great innovation and debate. Switch into the 80's issues for the deep dive, and lament the loss in those years of Skeeter, Elmer, and Bill Jordan. Carmichael, Wooten, Bob Milek. Ahh, I could go on. They were the some of the last who had true relevance. Don't forget the Colonel Cooper, JD, and my Fav Col. George Nonte Jr.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Quarry, range, hunter. What are you going for, what ranges, and what are you excellent with? Put those together and you have a winning formula!!! Deer aren't bullet proof or hard to kill. Just be smart and enjoy what you are doing. Have fun and go for it!

Boolit Master

I'm another who grew up Reading Jack O'Connor and his adventures with a .270. I started hunting deer with a 30-30 but buy the time I was 15 I had to get a .270. It harvested a plenty of white tail, coyote too. I purchased a new .300 Wby. for an Alaska hunt in the 80's. I left my old .270 with my Alaskan friend. It ended staying up there 19 years. He harvested 2 world class Dahl sheep with the rifle. His son used it to shoot moose and caribou. If the rifle could talk I think Jack would have liked the story.
    If liars pants really did catch on fire, watching the news would be a lot more fun!

Eleanor O'Connor also used the 30-06 sometimes- called it her "big rifle."
    I think that I remember reading that she killed a lion with it..or a tiger.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

I have a couple 270s thanks to Jack O’Connor. We didn’t know we were living in the Golden Age of gun publications.

Boolit Master

Gun Mag writers stir up a lot of passion for their favorites. I "lucked" into a scoped .270 Win. Classic Featherweight with its hard-to-tame, "whippy thin", tapered barrel on the same afternoon I experienced a morning "failure" through an open sighted 30-30 Win 94 in a pea-soup thick fog while attempting to take my first deer. But that's another story.

I like your thinking kungfustyle...caliber does not matter. What matters is perseverance. What gun "scratches your itch"? Get one. Make it accurate! Shoot it. Shoot it well. Control the variables.

SELF CONFIDENCE is EVERYTHING.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by d4xycrq View Post
    I have a couple 270s thanks to Jack O’Connor. We didn’t know we were living in the Golden Age of gun publications.
    The gun publications and hunting magazines sold dreams.

Boolit Master

My dad was a huge fan and acquaintance of Jack O'Connor.

He used this Al Biesen built Pre-64 Model 70 in .270 to take two North American Grand Slams...

Attachment 306176

Attachment 306177

He also has a Browning O/U shotgun that was once owned by Jack O'Connor. He paid $500 for it back in the 60's. I was honored to get to hold it...

Attachment 306178
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

If you enjoyed firearms/hunting, you had to like Jack. I grew up on /06, but bought a 270 due to his articles. At one time, as a younger man, I harvested more game and shot more varmints with a 270 than any other.

I was a fan, as well a bigger fan of Bob Milek. His work encouraged me to buy a 6mm Remington. I did, and it has been the go to rifle for me and both my kids. Nephew bought one, a close friend bought one. A handy, capable caliber/rifle. Remington 700.