Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Update: The future of Hammerhead slugs and SlugRus

Update 08/09/2023:

I’ve received my first batch of test wads after the injection molds where repaired. I’ll be shooting them this weekend, checking for accuracy. Then, off to the ballistic lab for testing so I can provide updated data with each purchase.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

cool!

Boolit Master

Great! Where can I get a mould for the Hammerhead inserts?
    "We take a thousand moments for granted thinking there will be a thousand more to come. Each day, each breath, each beat of your heart is a gift. Live with love & joy, tomorrow is not promised to anyone......"

unknown

Quote Originally Posted by centershot View Post
    Great! Where can I get a mould for the Hammerhead inserts?
    I’ll be selling those too. I have a couple dozen on site.

Sounds like its coming together. Thank you for taking this on.

On the other thread I mentioned that the Sabots Measure .732 with the inserts installed. I'm sure you saw Taofledermaus having problems with the inserts coming out of the sabots, but they were running them at 1500fps+

So, I would advise either doing exhaustive testing at higher fps to make sure they don't come apart or toning down the loads you provide with the product. I was able to hit Basket Ball sized dirt clods at 110 yds. Off Hand with mine running 1250 ish fps. and the clods exploded,,, meaning there was still a serious amount of energy transferred. Doubt any Pigs would be walking away from a hit with one at that speed?

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Would these slugs offer any type of decent accuracy in a smooth bore barrel?

Do you have a website?

If you go on Youtube there are several videos on these Slugs They do require rifling to produce decent accuracy and generally don't work very well in most smoothbores. Leon has tested these slugs extensively and he can give you a better idea of what kind of performance you can expect.

Here's what you can expect from a Rifled Barrel.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 100464943.JPG   100464885.jpg   100464752.JPG  
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Buddy
    What is the difference between the two slugs pictured?

Boolit Grand Master

I can't offer anything here other than the observation that Slugs 'R Us stated that these slugs were not suitable for smoothbore which surprised me because they have to be weight forward with that design and if the cushion leg distorts they wouldn't be accurate in rifled guns but so they are. It seems to be a mystery... to me anyway, but then I have not shot them from a smoothbore either. I have not seen any posts of targets shot with these from smoothbores but will take another look.

If Leon has tested them with smoothbore I am sure he would have posted so a search is in order! I will get busy!

Longbow

Boolit Buddy
    I have been looking around, and about the only thing I can find is from the old website where guys were not having very good luck with these slugs.

Hopefully when I get a chance to get on my computer, I can find better results with more recent results.

Quote Originally Posted by longbow View Post
    I can't offer anything here other than the observation that Slugs 'R Us stated that these slugs were not suitable for smoothbore which surprised me because they have to be weight forward with that design and if the cushion leg distorts they wouldn't be accurate in rifled guns but so they are. It seems to be a mystery... to me anyway, but then I have not shot them from a smoothbore either. I have not seen any posts of targets shot with these from smoothbores but will take another look.

If Leon has tested them with smoothbore I am sure he would have posted so a search is in order! I will get busy!

Longbow
    You know what, I’d never shot these from a smoothbore, but I’ll try.

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    I have been looking around, and about the only thing I can find is from the old website where guys were not having very good luck with these slugs.

Hopefully when I get a chance to get on my computer, I can find better results with more recent results.
    I don’t have the website rolled out yet. Not until I’m satisfied with testing. Changing to a new polymer that’s supposed to be better. Last batch of test wads I received, I wasn’t too pleased with them.

As far as accuracy, this is a true, 100 yard slug from my testing way before I bought the company.

Here’s a 100 yard group I printed:

I tried all powders listed and found all to be very accurate. My best performer was with 800X.

Boolit Buddy
    I look forward to your smooth bore testing, and thank you for doing this!

Accuracy looks great!

I do hope the smooth bore testing looks promising though, and I do not have a rifled barrel.

Still doing a lot of testing with the Diablo pellet slug, and from a smooth bore it shoots great!

Boolit Master

I can't wait to get some of these. I've got a rifled barrel, but I'll give them a try in a smoothbore as well.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Buddy
    I have a Hastings Wadlock barrel I would like to try a couple of these slugs in...

Boolit Buddy
    I shot the Slugs-R-Us in 20 ga and I can vouch for their accuracy potential. I too am anxiously awaiting their availability again, especially in 12 ga. I now have Hasting barrels in 20 and 12 ga I want to try them in.

Quote Originally Posted by ASSASSIN View Post
    What is the difference between the two slugs pictured?
    One has a Brass insert 550 gr, the other has a cast lead insert 497 gr.

I haven't tried it yet with "LeoSlugs" but if your smoothbore barrel is threaded for choke tubes you can try a Carlson's Rifled Choke Tube. Which may spin the Slugs enough to get some good accuracy. I know the Rifled Choke Tube works very well in my Mossberg 500 with my Lee Slugs so it would be worth a try?

FYI: there are Rifled Shotgun Barrels for just about every shotgun known to man. Just check on Ebay

Hope this helps?

Randy

Boolit Buddy
    Randy,

I have a 6" long extended rifled choke tube for my barrel, and would try that first, before tying up any money in a fully rifled barrel that would only be used a couple of times a year for deer and hog hunting...

A 6" Rifled tube should work just fine. Mine is only about 1" sticking out of the muzzle.

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2202.jpg  

Boolit Buddy
    6" rifled choke tube.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221221_094904952~2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	317789

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20221221_093927126~2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	122.8 KB