Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Load DataTitan Reloading
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remebrance Loading of Cremation Ashes

Boolit Buddy

Remebrance Loading of Cremation Ashes

A friend of the family wants a special project that I've agreed to help. Their deceased son loved the .223, so they want his cremation ashes loaded into some specially engraved .223 casings (they are getting the casings) and have the ashes loaded, topped with a bullet, but made into a pendant. As the project is in it's inception, I am trying to plan out a path.

The shell casings should be already de-primed as they are new from a LGS before being engraved.

Using a single-stage Hornady press to be careful with the shell casings and not scratch or mar the newly-engraved cases. I have an assortment of .223 bullets, so no issue there. My plan is to not touch the casing or bullet in trying to make into a pendant.

Am thinking I should drill out the primer socket, to allow the ashes to be loaded with a funnel, because.... I think I will epoxy a craftstore chain coupling into the primer socket to allow a neck chain to be used. I think I need to load the bullet before the pendant item is epoxied into the primer hole, because once that is in the primer socket, am unsure if it will fit into a standard shell holder to press the bullet in on top of the ashes.

It would be easier to load the ashes from the case-mouth instead of the (enlarged) primer hole, but the whole seating/shell-holder issue has me over-thinking this.

Anybody ever do a project like this?

Thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Punch out the primer and use silver solder to attach a hoop, How you would you keep the brass from tarnishing is a mystery.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master

I think I would use nickle cases to help with the tarnish problem there. I don't have a solution for the bullet as yet. I would think a drop of epoxy on the base of the bullet would be in order also as to hold it in the case for the long haul. Check with a jewelery store before drilling the flash hole/primer pocket and drill to fit the chain loop size you will be using. I have never done anything like this myself but it sounds doable with some thought behind it. james

Quote Originally Posted by super6 View Post
    ... How you would you keep the brass from tarnishing....
    clear coating the brass with some transparent varnish, like fingernail v., gloss or matte rattle-can paint, or more hi-tech stuff, etc., can do the trick
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Boolit Buddy
    If you had access Forester CoAx press you could modify the cases to accept the chain and then add the ashes and seat the bullet. The CoAx has a unique sliding Shel holder

Boolit Master

Another option might be to thread the primer pocket and thread in an eye hook. The M3 and M4 eye hooks (lifting eyes) are about 10mm across and a little larger than necessary. You could epoxy or threadlock the threads.

Boolit Buddy
    Great idea about threading for M3/M4 eye bolts, except the look isn't really "jewelery". I think JoAnns has craftier pieces that will fit into the primer whole. Would still need epoxy.

Also, re-using epoxy on the bullets. A good idea, ya'd hate to have a bullet unseat and have ashes everywhere.

Much thinking to do.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

Ywah, I didn't mean use them specifically but surely there is a smaller eye with theeaded ahank out there.

Boolit Grand Master

I believe I would wait until after the bullets are seated to engrave them. This way cases can be sized loaded and seated then any burnished marks scratches can be buffed out. The neatest looking way for the loop is to use some primer cups and fine brass wire. Remove the anvil and pellet then clean the cup of residue. Use a .032 wide dremil cut off wheel to cut a fine groove thru each side or the cup. make the loop and the twisted end inside the cup with some epoxy and press into the pocket. The .032 wire would be fine and match the chain for a necklace, but would be on the light side for a key chain there a .060 wire might be a better choice.

Boolit Master

I bet you could take them to a jewelry store and they could fit a clasp or loop with out damage, they do that sort of stuff with all kinds of different jewelry.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    If you seat the bullet and then drill through the case neck and bullet the whole thing will hang right-side-up on a chain. Bonus, you avoid a number of other challenges.

Boolit Master
    if you were to add something to the case after the ashes were in place to glue it in there....the problem is much easier to handle... Ive done it with piece of wire threaded through primer hole..bend end over well and pull it back through case mouth untill the bendy bit is hard up against base from inside then form loop to thread chain through. if the end result was intended to say sit on mantle piece rather than be worn around neck...your options are endless a completed case could be glued onto a wee brass plaque etc.

Boolit Master

A Lee Loader with a modified base could be used to seat the bullets. The modified base could be a 1/4 inch drive socket with the square hole up to set the case on as you seat the bullet.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Moderator Emeritus
    Put a drop of hot glue at the bottom of the case, from the inside, to seal the primer hole. Then you can seat the bullet normally after putting the ashes in through the case mouth.

Boolit Grand Master

Since the cases are already engraved I would have them gold plated. A good jeweler can hand the plating and clasp.

For bullets I would use a FMJ with the lead core melted out and gold plated. Bullet can be Loctited in with something like 680.

or purchase these and have them engraved

https://www.amazon.com/MONIYA-Stainl...D&sr=8-22&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/Men-Cremation...%3D%3D&sr=8-32

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=bullet+ur...l_5tgtd5zph0_e

One more option for bullets

https://davenportmemorialglass.com/p...mation-bullet/

https://www.etsy.com/listing/8297485...=1&col=1&sts=1
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-26-2022 at 12:14 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Drill and tap the primer pocket. Use a threaded sling fitting. I have done this for key chains and a BP powder measure.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sling.jpeg 
Views:	19 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	306099
    Don

Boolit Buddy
    Lots of ideas, thanks all.

I was thinking of sliding this (from JoAnn's Fabrics & Crafts) into the primer hole with some epoxy, then maybe bend the excess stub inside the case with a small diameter drift. That will give me the necklace attachment point, but it won't be very "high stress or tension", a drawback). https://www.joann.com/john-bead-stai.../19099696.html

Would I need to drop some wax or hot melt glue into the case mouth to seal the primer hole? A consideration.

Also, when ya get right down to it, a .223 casing will hold "maybe" a teaspoon of ashes. A little goes a long way.

I like Loctite on the bullet seating over epoxy which may mar the finish of the casing before the excess gets wiped off. I'll try both on some test casings before all the real production starts.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master

Mentioned this thread to my wife. She said she loved me and would keep my memory in her heart, but there was no way she would wear my ashes around her neck.

My niece has threatened to push her dad down the stairs when he ends up in a wheel chair and then put his ashes in an open container in the back of his pickup and drive down the road letting the wind scatter them.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master
    Having made key fobs from cases w/ bullets then seated, I have used cotter pins inserted in the primer hole and then opened the split with a flat blade screw driver to form a mechanical lock. A drop of epoxy thereafter firmed up the lock and sealed the fringes of the pin / hole junction. Setting the bullet w/ lock tight or epoxy after was never a problem. A cotter pin isn't jewelry quality but the technique is solid and adaptable to other materials more suitable. Just another way to skin the cat.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    A cotter pin isn't jewelry quality but the technique is solid and adaptable to other materials more suitable. Just another way to skin the cat.
    Yep, and probably a lot stronger & durable than these lil' JoAnn's craft pins.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast