WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication

Thread: ultra light 12 ga loads???

Boolit Grand Master

ultra light 12 ga loads???

How light can you go with 12 ga. loads? How little shot can you use? 1/4 oz would be plenty of shot.

Boolit Master

What is the intended purpose? I have loaded and used 3/4 ounce. there are published loads at that level.

I would be comfortable dropping that to maybe 1/2 ounce. I don't think that reliable ignition will occur at the level you are looking at. 3/4 ounce pressures are already in the 5k-7k range at 3/4 ounce.

For 1/4 ounce (109.375 grains) and close range, I personally would load a 357 or 44 shot load. Your intended purpose unknown, I am not sure I have contributed any useful info.

Boolit Grand Master

I've gone as light as no powder. Prime a hull, and put a lead shot wad in backwards. They fly fairly fast, and are actually fairly accurate in a rifled barrel. Kind of a wax bullet for shotguns.

More realistically, 3/4 oz at 1250 fps is about as low as you can go and still maintain good performance in all weather. I have recently loaded an even lighter load, but be warned it is asking for a blooper. I've not yet had a blooper, but the possibility is there. I only shoot these in break open guns. Use at your own risk.

Remington Gun Club
    Federal 209A
    12gr American Select
    WAA12 + (3) 1/8" 20ga nitro cards
    3/4 oz lead shot
    fold crimp.

Velocity around 700-800 fps.

The purpose of this load was originally for kids, being as I don't have a .410, and I didn't want to cut down my 20ga. It was originally a little stronger. I eventually reduced it even more to where it is now at 12gr. The reason was that I found the noise so much reduced, it was actually pleasant to shoot around buildings without hearing protection. It's not as good as a suppressor mind you, but you can use this to shoot garden pests around the house without damaging your ears too much.

I have done 12 ga 5/8 oz loads using Alliant Extra-lite powder. Used these for my wife in a Win M 37 single shot. She did not like the recoil of my daughter's 21" 20 ga 1187 with 3/4 oz loads that cycle the gun. (1,250 ish fps) My 20 ga doubles and 12 ga pumps & autos are too heavy.

Ive messed with 1/2 oz of #9 in a 20 ga for my dil’s cas loads. I want to say I’ve tried 5/8 oz in 12 ga.

Boolit Master
    turn up a .410 adapter and use that in your break open .12ga...if you make it 10-12" long and same diameter internally, its entire length it will work VERY VERY well out to about 25 yards ....

Boolit Grand Master

I dropped down to 5/8 ths. too just to save components. A bag of shot in my neck of the woods is over $100.00!
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Grand Master
    Think I have one of the Savage 410'r tubes somewhere. I have loaded 5/8 oz over Red Dot in the 12ga, but really only need about 10yds max range and want to put as little shot in the air as I can. Don't want to disturb neighbors

All my .410 reloads are 1/2 oz? They work very well.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Many of the cowboy shooters are shooting 7/8 oz. at less than 1000 fps. It still drops the tall poppers. It’s advertised as low recoil and will not cycle semi autos. Something like 12.5 to 13.0 grs. 700X. My 20 gauges with 7/8 oz. at 1150 fps kicks way more than these 12 ga. loads.

Boolit Buddy
    For 12ga loads, it's not uncommon for us to use 3/4 oz for skeet and other "fun shoots". There's a lot of published data for this load. I happen to use Clay Buster wads.
    ***Not affiliated, paid or associated*** with Clay Buster

Boolit Grand Master
    Thanks, but found a load. Right around 3/10's of an ounce. Should do for what I need.

Boolit Master
    Rockrat, could you share the load ? I load a 410 with 4 gr. Unique and 90 gr. of shot. Just a couple couple card wads over the powder and one glued in over the shot. I use worn hulls with the crimp cut off. It is useful for creepy critters with low noise and collateral damage. Such a load for a 12 ga. would very useful.

Boolit Bub
    https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads.../#post-3969562

Alliant Extra Lite powder will get you there. It's really the best powder for those ultra lite shot loadings.
    Last edited by wildflilghts; 11-04-2022 at 11:26 PM.