Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee Precision
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad DataWideners
RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Good Shot or Bad Shot on a whitetail? Graphic

Better luck next time, but at least it didn't linger on and you found it.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

You managed to recover it so it was good enough, although placement wasn't the best.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

1720 miles East of Wall Drug, North of Cooperstown, NY
    I prefer to not hit the front shoulders because I don't want that meat bloodshot. Dead is dead, and I like to hit just behind the blades and much lower to do both lungs and the heart. Your mileage may very, but your still eating fine. Congratulations to the shooter! I believe your load is perfect, just a little different placement and the time to total expiration will be much less. If the lead aint flying the deer aint dying!

Ken
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
    Je suis Charlie
    Remember Lavoy!
    I'll cling to my God and my guns, and you can keep the "Change".

Boolit Master

I appreciate all the input. As this was a very unique situation, i thought I'd post the results, and success.

With the placement in "no man's land", this was a peripheral hit on the upper and forward lobes of the lungs. Both lungs were damaged, but no major arteries were hit.

The lungs remained inflated and there was minimal apparent pooling of blood /fluid in the lungs themselves. There was an extremely small amount of blood in the chest / pleural cavity (almost none).

I do not think that this deer would have died from bleeding out or drowning in fluid in the short forseeable future.

The positive and negative with the location was that the double shoulder shot also injured the shoulders to limit the mobility of the deer.

The shot location that was desired was behind the shoulder, about 1/3 up from the bottom of the chest. This would be a center lung shot just to the rear of the heart.

On another note, daughter's deer from a week and a half ago was a 140 yard quartering to shot through the heart itself. This one ran at least 75 yards after the shot.

So this one was a bit of a fluke with leg forward placement was just a bit too far forward and a bit too high.

Boolit Master
    Hey look, Not every shot is perfect in hunting situations. I'm 61 yrs. old & I still am not perfect. I still pull a shot on the bench from time to time. I still get Very excited when I see "Horns", Had one slip by me once & in the excitement I pulled & the bullet glanced off of a small tree in front of me. The deer came to a stop, looked around & got a neck shot & not a Texas heart shot. All exciting. Hard to hold still in the excitement, But that's why we do it!

Boolit Master
    P.S Congrats to the Young Lady, You're a good dad!

Boolit Grand Master
    looks to me like it was to far forward and a bit high
    not a good shot IMO
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Moderator Emeritus

The shot is not in a location I choose to aim for. For me the key is that the deer didn't attempt to rise before the second shot. That shows a weakened deer lacking strength. Too high and a little to forward for me for a stopping shot. A high velocity shot to that area can send bone chips up to the spine and down into the lungs. A round ball, placed lower, can break the shoulder and put the animal down. A sabotted pistol bullet can do as happened above.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

I've always aimed for the crease where the back of their front leg (armpit) meets their body if broadside. The opposite side "armpit" spot to between the legs if an angle shot depending on how much angle is involved.

Few years back when my son graduated to hunting on his own v/s being in dads treestand he had made a similar but slightly lower shot on a doe. Double lung, and a piece of bullet we later found out had gone through the heart. We waited 30 minutes before starting to track it only to hear it get back up and splash through a marshy area. So we backed off and went into town to pass a little time and get something warm to eat and drink. A good two hours later after tracking the deer through the marshy area I spotted it sitting behind a brush pile watching us. A head shot put it down for good. When field dressing it was when I'd found the hole through the heart. Chest cavity full of blood, don't think it had enough strength to get up and run at that point. Not much blood where it had been laying though.

Congrats on the deer and for getting another hunter started.

A friend's son shot an 8 point buck at 40 yards about a decade ago. Went to the edge of the field and laid down on the edge of a ditch. We waited 15 minutes or so and followed the deer. Upon our approach it got up and trotted about 15 yards and laid down again. Lots of brush in that spot so shooting at it again wasn't really an option. Stayed put to keep an eye on it. Every few minutes the deer would throw it's head up and look around then put it's head back down. Decided to go in and finish it off after about 15 minutes of this with a shot in the neck.
    When that deer was field dressed there was literally nothing left of the heart or either of the lungs. Looked like it had been run in a blender then poured back in. The deer's rack wasn't particularly impressive but it field dressed at 275 pounds. If I hadn't seen it for myself I'd have never believed it. I'll never understand how that deer stayed alive for 30 minutes in that condition and still needed a second shot to finish it off. All I can say is that deer are incredibly resilient. They may be thin-skinned and lightly boned compared to some animals but they definitely have an amazing will to escape.

I do everything I can to bust a shoulder. Both of them if I can.

Boolit Master

Looks good to me, even if the results weren't as desirable as you'd like. Deer are individuals, just like humans and what it takes to stop one varies.

I'm not sure a high velocity round would have done much better. My son hit a big doe in a similar place with a .243 wssm, which is pretty fast. It went right down and I told him to keep hunting, since he had another tag and it was early. Two hours later we went to go get the doe who had been laying in plain sight the whole time. She was laying there paralyzed and gasping weakly, requiring a follow up mercy shot. I really felt bad as did my son, since it would have been easy to check and make sure she was dead quite a bit sooner. Sometimes things don't happen the way they ought to, but you do your best as a father, which is what you did. Good job.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Here if I aint gone,, Were there's a gator in the bushes & SHE"S callin my name
    Quote Originally Posted by versa-06 View Post
    Hey look, Not every shot is perfect in hunting situations. I'm 61 yrs. old & I still am not perfect. I still pull a shot on the bench from time to time. I still get Very excited when I see "Horns", Had one slip by me once & in the excitement I pulled & the bullet glanced off of a small tree in front of me. The deer came to a stop, looked around & got a neck shot & not a Texas heart shot. All exciting. Hard to hold still in the excitement, But that's why we do it!
    Neck shot plants them 99% of the time. ; ) PS You got the deer, Good shot
    H/D

Boolit Master
    you seem to have managed a through n through without hitting anything...... a rare occasion indeed. the mythical void shot. agree high velocity would probably have imparted some shock to spine and dropped animal on spot, BUT it might have jumped up again and scarpered when approached. good work on finding and finishing deer, you did good.
    my aim (pun intended) is to break one if not both front legs and take out thick part of lungs doing so.... they can't drive anywhere with no front wheels ...could well be printed on my tombstone as Ive given that bit of advice thousands of times over the years.
    picture a balloon/soccer ball held between the deer's legs inside its chest cavity and aim to pop it, works from any angle except tail on...and a big heavy for caliber will even do that one, messily but will do it.
    hopefully the original trigger squeezer isn't put off by the experience... they did good, these thing do happen to even the most experienced hunters. enjoy the venison, just be sure to age it a bit as it may well be stressed beyond the normal amount.
    Last edited by Milky Duck; 10-25-2022 at 06:38 PM. Reason: my shocking spelling

Boolit Master

Glad you found it. Had a similarly hit buck “recover” after getting knocked flat by the shot. Thankfully, I was able to hit it a second time and keep the track short. Don’t think I would ever intentionally take the high shoulder shot, but some love it. Like others have mentioned, it probably works better with high velocity rounds.

Boolit Master
    You took the trouble to find it and finished the job, which is the ethical thing to do. One does one's best but Murphy can show up in anything you try to accomplish. True, it wasn't as hoped for, but it is a success.

One year, I had a through-and-through shot on a buck with a .50 cal RB in the last minutes of the last day of ML season. He switched ends and ran back the way he came. I found him some 20 minutes later, folded up like he was bedding down for the night, very alert and looking around, getting nervous at my approach. A neck shot was the coup de gras, and when field dressing him, I found that the first shot went through the boiler room and didn't hit a single critical item. I expect that, had I not found him and it didn't get infected, he'd have completely recovered.
    Last edited by yeahbub; 10-26-2022 at 12:58 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    In archery there is a myth of the void. Your shot location is the location of the mythical void. Under the spine but just the top of the lungs. They can go a long way with that hit. It's not a bad shot since you recovered it but as stated a little lower would have made for an easier recovery. A little higher would have taken the spine out.
    It's no "myth". I shot a 2 1/2 year old 8 point one year that had been shot similarly and healed. I hit him broadside and low. It went straight through the heart and the bottoms of both lungs. Surprisingly- DRT. No death run I usually see with heart shots. When I opened it up it had broken ribs (one on each side near the top) that had healed with scar tissue around the knobs of bone that had formed. It also had some scar tissue at the top of one lung. From the looks of the wounds it was shot with a bullet- not an arrow. The scars in the hide showed no clean lines like a broadhead wound. One tough deer.

As a side note, it also had a bleeding bullet hole in one ear. I had heard a shot from the direction the deer came from about an hour before I shot it. I guess the third bullet (mine) was the charm.

You recovered the deer, BK- therefore it was a good shot (combined with some excellent hunting skills). Too many hunters push too hard and give up too early.

John

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhunter2 View Post
    It's no "myth". I shot a 2 1/2 year old 8 point one year that had been shot similarly and healed. I hit him broadside and low. It went straight through the heart and the bottoms of both lungs. Surprisingly- DRT. No death run I usually see with heart shots. When I opened it up it had broken ribs (one on each side near the top) that had healed with scar tissue around the knobs of bone that had formed. It also had some scar tissue at the top of one lung. From the looks of the wounds it was shot with a bullet- not an arrow. The scars in the hide showed no clean lines like a broadhead wound. One tough deer.

As a side note, it also had a bleeding bullet hole in one ear. I had heard a shot from the direction the deer came from about an hour before I shot it. I guess the third bullet (mine) was the charm.

You recovered the deer, BK- therefore it was a good shot (combined with some excellent hunting skills). Too many hunters push too hard and give up too early.

John
    The claim of a "void" is 100% myth. The widely held belief is that when a deer exhales a void is created above the lungs and below the spine that a bullet or arrow can pass thru with any significant damage. That is not how lungs work and it is 100% BS. Reality is that area is a poor shot location that can lead to long recoveries, lost deer or even deer that survive that hit. Same as any hit that just hits the edge of the lungs. Even deer hit hard in only one lung have been known to survive.

Good discussion here:

https://www.themeateater.com/wired-t...-a-deers-chest

Good video here start at 2:15

Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-26-2022 at 11:16 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Beaverhunter2 View Post

John
    I don't doubt your story at all, however, there is a lot you can't know. I find it really hard to believe it would be possible to single lung hit a deer with a bullet like that. Maybe with a straight down shot, but that would be a real miracle for a deer to heal from, and would not pertain to the void myth. For sure an animal can survive with one lung. Humans can. Take out two lungs, and it's just a matter of time. I'm not going to say that deer didn't get shot through a single lung and healed, but I think it equally, if not more plausible that it was hit by a car.

Boolit Grand Master

Until both lungs collapse or fill with blood remarkable things can happen. A good friend is an avid fox hunter. He shot a red fox broadside with a 17 Remington at 4,000 FPS. That was his preferred fox rifle. Normally the bullet was explosive enough that he wouldn't get an exit hole but occasionally he would get zero expansion. A red fox made a den in the farmyard and he waited until the fur was prime to shoot it. It was standing by the den broadside when he shot it. It made it back into the den. A couple of weeks later he spotted a fox by the den. It had a hairless spot on both sides. He assumed it was the one he shot and the bullet didn't expand. He left the fox alone for about a year until he watched it kill a pheasant. The hairless spot had mostly turned into white spots. He shot it and skinned it out. It clearly was the fox he double lunged a year before. He had the pelt tanned and I have personally seen it.

Back to the subject of the OP's shot location. It was not a good location. An inch up or a couple of inches lower it would have had much different results. Same for head shots and or neck shots that are off a little. They can be instant lights out or lost deer depending a small location differences.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 10-27-2022 at 12:10 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    the void DOES exist...many many years ago I shot a rabbit in paddock that was acting strangely and not walking off when it should have bolted...this is your garden variety cotton tail rabbit. I shot it with a shotgun and upon skinning I found a through n through bullet hole high through both shoulder blades/chest...bullet had gone under spine and above lungs...this was close to 40 years ago but I REMEMBER it well as it was so unusual... now a rabbit hit with even the humble .22lr is the same weight for weight as a deer hit with about half a pound of lead.....
    so if its not a void...its an area that an animal can survive a through n through wound ,normally I would suggest a no bone on way in hit.or if bone only the very thin part of shoulder blade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast