MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxLee Precision
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
RotoMetals2

Thread: Thanks for 444 to .410 shot shell help

Boolit Buddy

Thanks for 444 to .410 shot shell help

A big thanks to so many who posted in a myriad of threads in the past. A friend picked up one of the 45/410 pistols this summer and has not seen a .410 shell since. I searched through the site and was able to cobble together enough insight to load some of my 444 Marlin brass as 410 shells for snake control for him. I don't reload shot shells so I had plenty to learn. Thankfully I have a neighbor who gifted me a couple pounds of 7.5 shot to experiment with.

As the threads recommended, I started with the brass un-sized. I tried both both pistol and rifle primers and found his pistol had a hammer spring more than capable of setting off a rifle primer. Both types of primer fit the brass and there was no perceptible difference in performance in the first test.

Because the plastic wad isn't a real snug fit for the brass cartridge I decided to use a wad under it. I had none on hand so I opted to make some cardboard wads. I drilled the primer cup out of a 45ACP brass, assembled a screw and nut in it so I could chuck it up in a drill, beveled the brass to sharpen it, then used it to cut wads from the stiff back of a tablet. Cutting them against the end grain of a 2x4 clamped to the bench was fast and easy. The wads ended up just under .450" and fit the 444 brass nice and snug.

I don't keep too many powders on my bench so I spent a while looking for a suggestion using what I had sitting there. I opted for 4 gr of Unique under 1/2 oz of shot. I know it doesn't sound like much, but against a cardboard box it makes a fair pattern with a ragged hole in the middle, and some pellets exiting the back side of the box. That was at a distance of about 15'. More than enough horsepower for a snake load. One of the thread entries I saw mentioned that the lower power loads tended to have better patterns out of pistols. I wondered about pressures, but since the gun was made to handle 45 Colt rounds it would easily hold up to this load that was less than the recommended starting load. With 4 gr of Unique under a total payload of about 230 gr, this was in the powder puff range.

Anyway, an un-sized 444 Marlin brass, a large rifle primer, 4 gr of Unique, 2 cardboard wads over the powder, a plastic shot wad and 1/2 oz of 7.5 shot, another cardboard wad over the shot, and then a light roll crimp on the brass. I was tamping down the wads with a piece of 5/16 dowel as I went. In case you wonder about such things, firing the round straightens the roll crimp out of the case mouth so reloading is quick.

So far I haven't bothered with anything more than the snug fit of the over shot wad to hold everything in place. It's such a light load that there's no recoil to jar things loose. I'll do some testing and see if the over shot wad moves at all. I can add a little glue if it does. Otherwise, the only other add to the recipe will be a little bullet lube poured in the end of the case to seal the round and protect the over shot wad from the elements.

Again, thanks to all who put their knowledge out there. Without the conversations in the threads on this site I never would have tried this little experiment.

Boolit Master
    dont be afraid to add some larger pellets in with the 7.5s...... even a dozen #BBs will make a huge difference to its terminal effect. pull apart a couple of .12ga hulls to gain some different shot sizes and just mix it all up together...

Boolit Master
    I don't use the plastic wads as they are quite loose. Instead I use a 44cal gas check cup side down over a fair load of 2400 or H110 with 3/4 oz of #9 shot. It takes out grouse nicely at up to 30 yds. Definitely more than you need for a snake load but it shows you can go a fair bit more load than what you are using.

Boolit Master
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....erlasting+.410

this is well worth taking the time to read through..... not quite the same as a 444 but close enough to make it irrelevant.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    dont be afraid to add some larger pellets in with the 7.5s...... even a dozen #BBs will make a huge difference to its terminal effect. pull apart a couple of .12ga hulls to gain some different shot sizes and just mix it all up together...
    I'll give it a shot. The same neighbor who donated the 7.5 shot has a supply of #4 shot he uses for turkey. He offered, but I didn't want to be greedy. Now you've gotten me curious.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Milky Duck View Post
    https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....erlasting+.410

this is well worth taking the time to read through..... not quite the same as a 444 but close enough to make it irrelevant.
    Over the top impressive! I feel inadequate.

Boolit Master
    great stuff..... yeah wingman is a very clever fella...he is currently making delisly carbines and tankers out of old beaten up SMLEs and on selling them...they are beautiful bits of kit.
    the .410 is a fun wee gun no matter how you are using it.