MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
WidenersSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Someone please post a thread with an interesting topic!

Yes George, I wasted a good bit of time and money on junk air guns, so much for ''reviews''! I knew after shooting the RWS 34 and getting 1'' groups SOMETIMES, I should have just plunked down the money for either an HW97k or an Air Arms TX200 since I didn't want to go PCP since any killi'n that needs done around here is done with a cartridge gun. I like the option of a .22 pellet rifle for keeping my skills sharp and inventing small scale shooting games, hence the Athlon 4-14x Milradiant scope. I like making small metal spinners and setting them out at various ranges to 100+/-yds to shoot at and hopefully get a reaction. They're easy to make requiring only a band saw and welder to fabricate and material wise, just some 1/8'' flat steel, 5/16 steel rod, and a 3/8 nut. A 3' section of rod, measure in 16'' from each end and mark, bend 90 degrees one end in a vice and weld a stop near center, slide your nut on and weld a stop on the other side allowing the nut to spin freely on the rod, but not slide side to side, bend the other end of the rod 90 degrees forming a long ''U'' shape and weld a 2'' square, diamond, or circle on the nut and a 4'' shape to counter weigh your target 180 degrees opposite your 2'' shape and you have a mini reactive spinning target that's easy to push into the ground at any range you decide. I would suggest 1/4'' steel plate if you're shooting a .22lr at it, but it probably won't spin hit with a .22 pellet, (from a springer anyway).

While I realize the advantages of PCP, I just don't want all the extra baggage that goes with them. A friend has a Benjamin pump air rifle, a ''Blue Streak'' type that's very accurate, but I get 3 shots to his one with the HW97k. You're right, you get what you pay for! I should know better, I don't buy cheap rifles, handguns, or shotguns.
    Liberalism is a cult divorced from reality.

Moderator Emeritus

I kind of felt the need to explain my "baggage" with the PCPs... For the Tuesday eve 10-meter competition shoot, I take my Air Arms T200 .177 PCP with two extra tanks; a tin of pellets; goggles (required); my C-clamp mounted spotting scope; and, the weed-whacker yellow line to place in receiver to show "safe!" (also required). That's it! I have a 12V/110V compressor at home, and it takes about fifteen minutes to fill all three tanks. I should be good for about 120 good shots, too. For varmints, I have its sister -- the Air Arms S200 in .22 -- which uses SAME screw in in the field tanks as the T200.
    Re the Benjamins, they ARE limited (for me) to about 45-50 good shots -- but I rarely would fire that many rounds with a rim-fire rifle; no worries for me.
    My favourite target is one I've only seen sold at Airguns of Arizona; my bad leg puts a severe crimp on my walking vis targets, but I can set this one out and have a ball shooting it. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Armour target.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	10.5 KB 
ID:	306141 Nice is one gets a visual indication where the shot hits... These ain't (sic) cheap... but, as we agree -- it's NOT junk -- which imho surely made it worth buying! If you have interest, here is a video on the target: https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/tar...-target/#tab-2
    geo
    Last edited by georgerkahn; 10-27-2022 at 05:44 PM.

OK this post had plenty of Viewable content ... Now we're getting somewhere.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-28-2022 at 05:32 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Quote Originally Posted by W.R.Buchanan View Post
    OK this post had plenty of Viewable content ... Now we're getting somewhere.

Randy
    here is another one https://www.youtube.com/c/PythonCowboy/videos

OK this Python Cowboy guy is a Iguana hunting machine! And Otto the Iguana Retriever Dog (Wire Hair Short Hair) is some kinda dog! This looks like so much fun I don't see how this guy gets any time off. He must be booked for months in advance. Very Entertaining!!!!

Thanks

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"

Boolit Buddy

Randy
    Here is something to chew on,

What about making a pellet sizing press, for any caliber you shoot,
    then you can size the heads/skirts of the pellets to fit your prized air guns barrels etc.

I have been refining several makes/models of lube sizers,
    that I have designed for the 17-20-22-25 calibers, so far.

Right now I am working with a Cramer/Saeco Lube Sizers, converting it down to 17/20 cal. I have been using NOE sizing bushing, both the standard and nose sizing bushings.

Due to the smaller OEM sizer hole/mounting, I think I'll have to use 1/2" diameter bushing, (Noe turned down to 1/2" from OEM size of .625" dia), to provide some more thickness for the bushing holder etc.

The Cramer/Saeco sizing dies are .680" dia, if cut to .625",
    it don't leave much strength for the Noe sizing bushing,
    by going to .500" dia, that should provide the strength needed, testing now.

I may end up just making the sizing die to fit the OEM Cramer die hole, then there will be no problems.

Your thoughts and suggestions..........
    Tia,
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Ithaca Gunner View Post
    I don't know how interesting this is, but it's an old lesson relearned mostly with a happy, but somewhat costly outcome...and I kept repeating it! Buy once, cry once!

I hadn't had a pellet gun since the 60's and figured one would fill a void for those times I wanted to shoot, but was too lazy to go to the club. I tried three, yes three lower end break-barrel .22 pellet rifles that included a Crosman with a fancy name, a Hatsen vortek, and finally an RWS 34. Of course of those three, the RWS was by far the most accurate, if a 1'' or a little more group was the goal for happiness. I knew better and knew what I wanted, but in my mind I just couldn't justify the cost of a decent centerfire rifle for a pellet rifle. What it was I wanted was a Weihrauch HW97k with the blue laminant stock.

I watched videos and read reviews on the HW97k and was convinced it was indeed worth the money, but alas I had fumbled around too long to get one with the blue laminate stock...until one Sunday I decided to search for a used one. As luck would have it I found a posting on an airgun site for one, and it was only a day old! Not being a member all that was visable was the area code of the phone number to call. I quickly joined the forum and called the gent. Turned out the gun was for all purposes new, (he was in his 80's and found the gun too difficult to cock after firing only 20-some pellets) and the price was a full $200.00 less than what a new one would cost IF they were still available in blue laminate. We did a pay-pal deal over the phone and I had my dream gun in just two days!

Now off to the Potterfield Plantation for a scope and maybe some better pellets than the wally-world Crosman HP's. The scope I selected was an Athlon Talos 4-14x44 BTR Mil ( after getting assurance from , Dan at Athlon the scope would hold up on a ''springer'') on sale just under $200, AND ol' Lar had H&N Field Target Trophy pellets on sale for less than the wally-world HP's!

Another 4-5 days and the rifle was scoped and ready to sight in! Of course being the cheap-skate I am, I sighted it in with the Crosman HP's. Switched cardboard and shot for group off the bench at 25yds. with the Crosman HP's which rendered a somewhat respectable grouping of under an inch with many touching in a cluster, but with about as many making their own hole just off the cluster. Next I shot some RWS ''Match'' pellets, worse-a lot worse than the Crosman HP's! Okay, let's bust out the H&N FTT. Now this whole grouping thing was done with a blank sheet of cardboard. I would shoot a pellet into the cardboard and use that hole as my aiming point. No real happiness until I switched over to the H&N's. I fired a shot through the cardboard near the middle with the Crosman groups to the left and the RWS clusters to the right. I lost count of how many shots I fired with the H&N's, musta been 20+ until I realized what I was doing was no longer productive. I had a less than 1/2'' hole just above my aiming hole and all my pellets were simply going through that hole and not making a difference in the group. I had finally found euphoria! Happiness even! Yeah, after I wasted probably over $1,000.00 on JUNK pellet rifles and scopes! Anybody wanna buy a Hatsen 95 or an RWS-34? I gave the Crosman to my grandson, he seems happy with it.

Attachment 306103

Attachment 306104
    RWS pellet ''grouping'' to the right, bottom hole on the left is the aiming point for the H&N FTT group. It measures .485'' at it's widest point, and I have no idea how many shots are in it, probably 25+. Aim small, miss small as someone has on their signature line here.
    Congrats on you HW97 Blue. You didn't say which caliber it is? assuming .177 or .22?. I have the earlier version of the HW97 IE: HW 77 I got it for my 40th Birthday from my wife who was sick of me whining about not having enough poop at 40+ yards to take down the Mocking Birds that Infested our back yard/house/neighborhood with my HW 35EB. From my Back Door to our fence was 10 yards, I could knock them down at that distance. However if I missed they would fly into the school yard and land on a Soccer Goal that was 40 yards away and give me a hard time squawking at me. The H&N Wadcutter pellets just wouldn't knock them down at that distance.

This all ended on my 40th birthday when one landed on the Soccer Goal and I whacked him with a.22 caliber H&N Wadcutter pellet which virtually exploded him! No more worries about range or power.
    In case you didn't know I am big on Weihrauch Guns. Surprisingly all 4 of mine will put pellets thru the same 1/4" hole for as long as you can stand to sit there and shoot them. H&N Match and JSB Exact pellets are the most accurate out there in my guns. Over the last 30+ years I have bought and tried a bunch of different pellets, these two brands are consistently the best.

Good luck with your rifle and if you just treat it like any of your nice firearms, it will outlast you for sure. Make sure your decedents understand that as well, cuz it will outlast them too! I got my HW35EB in 1977 and it still shoots just as hard as it always did. That's 45 years of service and it is still going, with nothing more than Wiping it down with a Silicone Rag after use and some Silicone Chamber Oil occasionally. That, and it always lived indoors!!! Can't stress that enough. All Guns need to live indoors!!!

Randy
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 47247.jpg  
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 10-30-2022 at 07:46 PM.

Congrats on you HW97 Blue. You didn't say which caliber it is? assuming .177 or .22?. I have the earlier version of the HW97 IE: HW 77 I got it for my 40th Birthday from my wife who was sick of me whining about not having enough poop at 40+ yards to take down the Mocking Birds that Infested our back yard/house/neighborhood with my HW 35EB. From my Back Door to our fence was 10 yards, I could knock them down at that distance. However if I missed they would fly into the school yard and land on a Soccer Goal that was 40 yards away and give me a hard time squawking at me. The H&N Wadcutter pellets just wouldn't knock them down at that distance.

This all ended on my 40th birthday when one landed on the Soccer Goal and I whacked him with a.22 caliber H&N Wadcutter pellet which virtually exploded him! No more worries about range or power.
    In case you didn't know I am big on Weihrauch Guns. Surprisingly all 4 of mine will put pellets thru the same 1/4" hole for as long as you can stand to sit there and shoot them. H&N Match and JSB Exact pellets are the most accurate out there in my guns. Over the last 30+ years I have bought and tried a bunch of different pellets, these two brands are consistently the best.

Good luck with your rifle and if you just treat it like any of your nice firearms, it will outlast you for sure. Make sure your decedents understand that as well, cuz it will outlast them too! I got my HW35EB in 1977 and it still shoots just as hard as it always did. That's 45 years of service and it is still going, with nothing more than Wiping it down with a Silicone Rag after use and some Silicone Chamber Oil occasionally. That, and it always lived indoors!!! Can't stress that enough. All Guns need to live indoors!!!

Randy
    Mine is .22, I just can't imagine handling those tiny .177 pellets with my big fingers! I can't believe how lucky I got finding the ad in a random air gun forum like I did, with blue laminant stock and in .22! I'm finally impressed with the accuracy of an air gun, and one I want to challenge out to 100yds.

I have hit Rimfire Silhouette targets at 100 Meters with my R1. The Sun was directly behind me so I could see the pellet as it flew down range. The Trajectory was a rainbow! JSB Exacts 18 gr. will be the best pellets for long range for that gun. H&N's Wadcutters will work well too, but best for <50 yards.

I sight my guns in dead on at 10 yards. That puts them 1" high at 20 and 30 and dead on again at 40. Everything from there on out is a hold over. You'll have to play with it to get it down.

Keep us informed as to your progress. Good job on getting a Quality Air Gun !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Randy

It took me a few years from when I saw a blue laminant HW97k to want one bad enough to actually shop for one, and by then there weren't any around. It took that little gun voice in my head one Sunday to look for a used one, and I found one. These are the real deal for accuracy, it's not hype, they actually shoot like a Winchester M-52 match rifle! Worth every cent invested.

NVReloader: My press is already being used by a few guys to size their boolits. I use it to size some of my .40 cal. Boolits using a Lee .401 sizing die and the Pusher that comes with it. Works just fine and the press has more than enough power to do it.

In order to do it for pellets all you need is a sizing die with a 7/8-14 Thread on the outside and a hole of the desired size in the middle, and a Pusher that fits into the Shell Holder adapter that pushes the pellets all the way thru. Don't want to use the next pellet to push the one before it thru as that will distort both pellets.

Really I have never seen a reason to resize my .177 or .2 cal. pellets as the good ones don't need it, and have shot thousands of them. Stick with H&N and JSB brands and they work as well as can be expected.

Randy

Someone please post a thread with an interesting topic! There hasn't been an interesting topic in this forum for some time.

The last time I whined about this we got the Lady in FL that was making a good living shooting Iguanas with her pellet guns. She was very good!

Love to see something about actually using these guns for something useful.

Randy
    hello randy ,i hope this is of interest to you , i have 2 pcp rifles a FX 25 cal royal and a diana 22 cal Outlaw both are very accurate and i am doing my best to keep the Magpie , crow, black squirrel herds in check . For a number of yrs we noticed that song birds were pretty much non existant so i started with a diana model 48 that worked very well but took to long to reload between shots, also i believe that the vermin could hear me cocking the rifle even though i was in the garage. so i upgraded to pcp guns with 10 + rd mags and started chipping away at the vermin . i keep a yearly talley since 2015 , i have taken 134 magpies , 76 crows and 172 black squirrels , and 154 barn pigeons and have never taken the rifles out of my yard , the pigeons became a problem when one of the neighbors started feeding them , his back yard was in shade and mine was in sunlite in the winter they sat on the edge of my garage roof and crapped all over the apron , i asked the neighbour 3 or 4 time to stop ,i have since been approached by 4 of the guys on my block wanting there pests controlled . i have talked 3 of them into buying PCP rifles and sadly i am now starving for targets,, but we have song birds and i have some little purple finch that have takin up summer res in my 2 bird houses alan
    How come there is so many more horses ***** than there is horses

Yes, you in fact are doing something with your Air Rifles! And that is a pretty impressive record. The whole idea here is to sight the gun in and then go shoot something. So many miss the point.

Randy

I scored two tubes of Chocolate Neco Wafers tonight. These make a very satisfying Target as they explode when hit with a pellet. I've got to make a stand for them with some alligator clips and wire so they can be stood up around the property. Will up date when I start shooting them.

I also have to make a new target box for my garage. When I set up my Shot Shell Reloaders I used the bench the target box had been on. Haven't been able to shoot in the garage for sometime now and I want to get back on it. My Rifle shooting is suffering from all the Shotguning I'm doing lately. Time to rectify that!

I just wish we had Iguanas to shoot out here. That just looks like way too much fun!

Randy

I scored two tubes of Chocolate Neco Wafers tonight. These make a very satisfying Target as they explode when hit with a pellet. I've got to make a stand for them with some alligator clips and wire so they can be stood up around the property. Will up date when I start shooting them.

I also have to make a new target box for my garage. When I set up my Shot Shell Reloaders I used the bench the target box had been on. Haven't been able to shoot in the garage for sometime now and I want to get back on it. My Rifle shooting is suffering from all the Shotguning I'm doing lately. Time to rectify that!

I just wish we had Iguanas to shoot out here. That just looks like way too much fun!

Randy
    Randy, no doubt Neco wafers make a fine target for an air rifle! What other reactive targets can we think of to miniaturize for air rifles?

Neco wafers = clay birds...

Cheezeit crackers = 4x4 hanging clay tile?

Grapes/cherries could be an interesting reactive target.

Green army men placed at various ranges.

Paper shot cups filled with Jello.

Not quite Iguanas, but many years ago we had an infestation of English Starlings. They would gather in the tree tops in the early evenings stripping them and generally becoming pests. My solution was a Remington 513T with a Unertle 16x target scope loaded with .22CB caps. The combo was accurate and quiet enough to shoot from the back yard to the tree tops in the front yard and nail a starling with each shot. Of course the others took flight, but another target would reappear within a few minutes. Just like shooting rats and seagulls at the dump when I was a kid! A good .22 air rifle would have produced the same results.

Boolit Mold
    Cape Cod in summer, Barefoot Bay, FL in winter.
    I shoot Super Colabri out of a rifle and it is very quiet. My airguns all make more noise. I can be shooting in the basement with my wife and her friends right above me and they do not know I am there. So if you have pests in the yard, open a window, get away from the window as far as you can, and pop them off. Watch for a shallow angle that might allow ricochets.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot Bud Light cans up at my cabin with a Gamo Hunter 440 .177. It keeps the surrounding area free of those blue rodents that are always found grazing along the side of the roads.

Randy
    I wish we had iguanas too.
    I tend to eat all the crackers.

Boolit Man
    Ithaca Gunner, I see the well deserved praise for your HW. These are my favorites. You didn’t have luck with the Dianas I also see. Diana guns for the most part have excellent barrels, and most of my Dianas are as accurate as my Weirauchs. They generally benefit from my tuning, as they are way over sprung in my opinion. Getting the velocities down from 875 to 800+/- makes them way more pleasant and easier to shoot. That is a starting point for tinkering. I am mostly referring to guns made before 2000. I haven’t kept up much on the newer stuff. The CZs from the 90s are also VERY accurate, but in need of massaging to be contenders.

I've really enjoyed this young man's videos

https://www.youtube.com/@mattdubber
    https://www.youtube.com/@AirArmsHuntingSA

Matt does things with air rifles I can only dream of. Suppose it helps to live in South Africa.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast